Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing Knoppix

Installing Knoppix

Kevin Buthorn

I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the primary master which
crashed. I downloaded Knoppix so that I can attempt to recover data from
the old drive.
I am running windows xp.
I am unable to open Knoppix from windows. I don't know how to burn knoppix
to a cd and install it. Idid copy the downloaded file to a cd, but am
unable to open it.
Any help will be appreciated.

philo

"Kevin Buthorn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zpxSb.293273$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the primary master which
> crashed. I downloaded Knoppix so that I can attempt to recover data from
> the old drive.
> I am running windows xp.
> I am unable to open Knoppix from windows. I don't know how to burn

knoppix
> to a cd and install it. Idid copy the downloaded file to a cd, but am
> unable to open it.
> Any help will be appreciated.

if you downloaded and iso
your cd burning software should have the option to create a cd from the iso
image

michael turner

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:30:55 +0000, Kevin Buthorn wrote:

> I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the primary master which
> crashed. I downloaded Knoppix so that I can attempt to recover data from
> the old drive.
> I am running windows xp.
> I am unable to open Knoppix from windows.

That's right.

> I don't know how to burn knoppix
> to a cd and install it.

Use Nero or Roxio (burn from image options) to create a CD from the
downloaded ISO image.

> Idid copy the downloaded file to a cd, but am
> unable to open it.

Nope that won't work.

> Any help will be appreciated.

Knoppix is a self-booting and configuring Linux system, no installation
required. Runs totally from the CD, but will access your Windows
partitions.

--
Michael Turner

Patrick

Kevin Buthorn wrote:
> I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the primary master
> which crashed. I downloaded Knoppix so that I can attempt to recover
> data from the old drive.
> I am running windows xp.
> I am unable to open Knoppix from windows. I don't know how to burn
> knoppix to a cd and install it. Idid copy the downloaded file to a
> cd, but am unable to open it.
> Any help will be appreciated.

CD burning software will be required.

Instructions are at below link;
See heading 'ISO Burning Instructions' and select your burner-software.

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

DC

Kevin Buthorn wrote in <zpxSb.293273$(E-Mail Removed)>:
> I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the primary master which
> crashed. I downloaded Knoppix so that I can attempt to recover data from
> the old drive.
> I am running windows xp.
> I am unable to open Knoppix from windows. I don't know how to burn knoppix
> to a cd and install it. Idid copy the downloaded file to a cd, but am
> unable to open it.
> Any help will be appreciated.

Read the FAQ.

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppi...PIX-FAQ-EN.txt

--
DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

Martik

If your filesystem is not NTFS, all you need is a win98 or dos boot floppy
to access the old hard drive.

hoobs hoobs is offline
Junior Member

Nope, I've tried to open Knoppix download in Windows 2000, doesn't work. Quite a few free CD burners available on web. Consider installing a dual-boot system so you can (nearly) always get your data off. To get out of the fix install an operating system with the same file system (FAT16, 32 or Ntfs) onto a fresh HD and set your non-bootable HD to slave. This may be easier than using Knoppix as you are familiar with Windows methods of transferring files. Searching Microsoft site for 'Knoppix' interestingly found no matches .....surprise,surprise.

Installing Tkinter on knoppix Jon Monteleone Python 2 11-09-2005 09:40 AM
hardware detection using a knoppix-like CD lbrtchx@hotmail.com Java 0 07-29-2005 07:31 AM
mosix knoppix and JBoss Fred LaBar Java 0 07-14-2004 07:31 PM
Knoppix trout Computer Support 6 08-10-2003 08:05 AM
Downloaded Knoppix STD - can't boot to it Joe S. Computer Support 10 06-25-2003 04:02 PM

Advertisments