Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP install

Windows XP install

Jay R Griepentrog

I currently have Windows 98 on my computer, and wish to update to Windows
XP. I was told that in order to do this, I would need to install Window 98
Second Edition prior to the XP in sort of a procession. When attempting to
install SE, I get a message that updating cannot continue, because an
anti-virus program may be blocking attempt, and to remove and try again. I
have McAfee VirusScan V.8, and even after removing, I still get that same
message about an anti-virus program blocking. The McAfee is the only
anti-virus program I have on computer. I would greatly appreciate hearing
from anyone, as to what my problem is and what I can attempt to do to
correct. Thank You.

Kráftéé

Jay R Griepentrog wrote:
> I currently have Windows 98 on my computer, and wish to update to
> Windows XP. I was told that in order to do this, I would need to
> install Window 98 Second Edition prior to the XP in sort of a
> procession. When attempting to install SE, I get a message that
> updating cannot continue, because an anti-virus program may be
> blocking attempt, and to remove and try again. I have McAfee
> VirusScan V.8, and even after removing, I still get that same
> message about an anti-virus program blocking. The McAfee is the
> only anti-virus program I have on computer. I would greatly
> appreciate hearing from anyone, as to what my problem is and what I
> can attempt to do to correct. Thank You.

Have you got a bios anti virus turned on??

philo

"Jay R Griepentrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:snxSb.12347$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I currently have Windows 98 on my computer, and wish to update to Windows
> XP. I was told that in order to do this, I would need to install Window

98
> Second Edition prior to the XP in sort of a procession. When attempting to
> install SE, I get a message that updating cannot continue, because an
> anti-virus program may be blocking attempt, and to remove and try again. I
> have McAfee VirusScan V.8, and even after removing, I still get that same
> message about an anti-virus program blocking. The McAfee is the only
> anti-virus program I have on computer. I would greatly appreciate hearing
> from anyone, as to what my problem is and what I can attempt to do to
> correct. Thank You.

First off, you need to disable the anit-virus protection in the *BIOS*

there is typically an option there which prevents writing to the boot sector

secondly you do *not* have to install win98 first

the best thing to do is install XP cleanly

if you are using an XP upgrade cd, you will only need your win98 cd for
verification

Patrick

Jay R Griepentrog wrote:
> I currently have Windows 98 on my computer, and wish to update to
> Windows XP. I was told that in order to do this, I would need to
> install Window 98 Second Edition prior to the XP in sort of a
> procession. When attempting to install SE, I get a message that
> updating cannot continue, because an anti-virus program may be
> blocking attempt, and to remove and try again. I have McAfee
> VirusScan V.8, and even after removing, I still get that same message
> about an anti-virus program blocking. The McAfee is the only
> anti-virus program I have on computer. I would greatly appreciate
> hearing from anyone, as to what my problem is and what I can attempt
> to do to correct. Thank You.

It may be that you have Boot-Anti-Virus program that needs to be disabled
from within the BIOS. Alternately the AV report is probably not from the
BIOS as I don't think that McAfee do Boot-ant-virus.

If your XP-CD is an upgrade version then you do not need W98 to be
installed, you only need the W98 CD to be available when installing XP.

If your XP-CD is not an upgrade-version then you don't need W98 installed or
W98 available at all.

The WinXP disc will hopefully auto boot from a reset (watch for prompt to
boot from the CD)
If XP-CD dose not auto-boot from the CD-drive then you can either change the
boot-order in the machines BIOS,

or you can download facilitys to create a set of XP-boot-floppys, see at
link below;

http://www.bootdisk.com/

or more direct link (one page on), (look to bottom of page for XP and select
version)
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Peter

Two thoughts.

If you really want to upgrade, then copy the windows xp disk onto your hard
drive (make sure that you also get the few files that are not in folders)
and install from the hard drive.

However, as a previous poster suggested, you are really better off doing a
"clean" install. If you do, make sure that you copy all of your work
sheets, pdf files and other data including email and address book (you will
need to ask how do to this) to a zip or write cd before installing xp.

You will then have to reload ALL of your software so make sure you have the
disks. If you have the uninstalled program on your hard drive (because you
downloaded it) such as photoprogram.zip, save that as well.