Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to get Explorer to refresh when new CD-R is inserted

How to get Explorer to refresh when new CD-R is inserted

Jerry Rivers

In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
correctly.

But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I insert
into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
the CD-R.

I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or, View>
Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.

The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.

How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?

Thank you for your help.

-- Jerry Rivers

Jerry Rivers

Jerry Rivers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
> the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
> correctly.
>
> But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I

insert
> into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
> name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
> although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
> the CD-R.
>
> I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or,

View>
> Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
>
> The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
> in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
>
> How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> -- Jerry Rivers

I should have added to this post that Windows Explorer also
does not update the volume name for my Zip 100 disks. It only
records the correct volume name for the first disk inserted
into my Zip drive. After that, nothing but restarting
Explorer will get it to properly show the volume name.

Any help would be appreciated.

-- Jerry Rivers

Ghostrider

Jerry Rivers wrote:

> Jerry Rivers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>

>>In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
>>the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
>>correctly.
>>
>>But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I

> insert
>
>>into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
>>name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
>>although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
>>the CD-R.
>>
>>I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or,

> View>
>
>>Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
>>
>>The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
>>in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
>>
>>How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?
>>
>>Thank you for your help.
>>
>> -- Jerry Rivers
>>

> I should have added to this post that Windows Explorer also
> does not update the volume name for my Zip 100 disks. It only
> records the correct volume name for the first disk inserted
> into my Zip drive. After that, nothing but restarting
> Explorer will get it to properly show the volume name.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -- Jerry Rivers

For the ZIP drive, the recommended procedure is to use
the "soft" eject from the ZIP drive's menu. This forces
the flushing of the cache and transfer any remaining data
to the ZIP disk along with an automatic refresh of Explorer.
The same may be applicable to the CD drive.

Jerry Rivers

Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in news:101lc2mm4rlgf85
@news.supernews.com:

>>>In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into

Should have mentioned that I tried ejecting both my CD's and
my Zip disks using the Eject command from the menu I get by
right clicking on the CD or Zip drive letter - no joy.

I read in the MS KB that the cache that Windows uses to hold
the contents of a CD (they didn't mention Zips but it must be
the same) does not always flush. The only solution offered
was to make sure that all the CD names are different.

Well, *all* of my CD-R names and *all* of my Zip disk names
are different. It would be helpful to be able to force the
cache to flush.

Any other ideas I can try? This is *very* annoying when
working on multiple disks and not knowing which one is in the
drive. Fortunately, Explorer can at least read from the disks
correctly.

-- Jerry Rivers

Patrick

Jerry Rivers wrote:
> In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
> the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
> correctly.
>
> But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I insert
> into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
> name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
> although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
> the CD-R.
>
> I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or, View>
> Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
>
> The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
> in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
>
> How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> -- Jerry Rivers

I don't know if I am being any help but;
If I replace one disc with another, I have two D:\ icons, the one that's
ejected can't be selected of course. Haven't seen anyone else ever mention
such.

Jerry Rivers

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:tFzSb.14007$(E-Mail Removed):

> Jerry Rivers wrote:
>> In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
>> the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
>> correctly.
>>
>> But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I
>> insert into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the
>> CD volume name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows
>> Explorer, although Explorer can read all of the folders
>> and files on the CD-R.
>>
>> I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or,
>> View> Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
>>
>> The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to
>> appear in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
>>
>> How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume
>> names?
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> -- Jerry Rivers

> I don't know if I am being any help but;
> If I replace one disc with another, I have two D:\ icons,
> the one that's ejected can't be selected of course. Haven't
> seen anyone else ever mention such.

Since I posted the original message, I've learned more about
this problem, but no solution as yet. There are two problems
known to exist in XP: 1) the CD volume name doesn't refresh,
even pressing F5 to refresh Explorers display, and 2)
everytime you insert a new CD, you get a new drive listed in
the folder pane of Explorer.

Microshit says that these are known problems with XP and
either get SP1 (which I have) or just don't use Folder View!

One of my Cyber friends suggested to me that this may be
another of XPs many annoyances that I will just have to learn
to live with.

I needed to look at a couple dozen CD's and a couple dozen
Zip disks today, so the problem was severe. One a normal day,
maybe I might look at none or maybe only one or two. So, a
reasonable work-around for me might be to just restart
Explorer.

I can tell you Bill Gates is no pal of mine! I pray for the
day I can buy Linux and quick contributing to his billions
while he continue to make my life miserable.

Thanks for trying to help!

-- Jerry Rivers

trout

Jerry Rivers wrote:

> In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
> the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
> correctly.
>
> But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I insert
> into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
> name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
> although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
> the CD-R.
>
> I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or, View>
> Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
>
> The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
> in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
>
> How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> -- Jerry Rivers

I don't know if it would suit your needs; but have you tried any
Explorer alternatives? There are some very good ones, like TrackerV3:
http://www.trackerv3.com/index.htm
(free for home use)
--
"Might be worth a look."

Boomer

Jerry Rivers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

[snip]

> I can tell you Bill Gates is no pal of mine! I pray for the
> day I can buy Linux

I thought it was free?

> and quick contributing to his billions
> while he continue to make my life miserable.
>
> Thanks for trying to help!
>
> -- Jerry Rivers

Jerry Rivers

"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bveu1a$rv2v6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Jerry Rivers wrote:
>
>> In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
>> the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
>> correctly.
>>
>> But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I
>> insert into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the
>> CD volume name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows
>> Explorer, although Explorer can read all of the folders
>> and files on the CD-R.
>>
>> I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or,
>> View> Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
>>
>> The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to
>> appear in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
>>
>> How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume
>> names?
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> -- Jerry Rivers

> I don't know if it would suit your needs; but have you
> tried any
> Explorer alternatives? There are some very good ones, like
> TrackerV3: http://www.trackerv3.com/index.htm
> (free for home use)

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll take a look.

-- Jerry Rivers