Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NIC not lighting up

NIC not lighting up

fhg

other than a hardware fault on the card itself, or it not being seated
properly in the slot, is there any other reason to cause it not to light up
(the led's at the rear where you plug the cable in) ?

--
xx

Me

Wrong cable? Problem at the other end of the cable?

"fhg" <(E-Mail Removed)_(notreal)> wrote in message
news:0svSb.43410$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> other than a hardware fault on the card itself, or it not being seated
> properly in the slot, is there any other reason to cause it not to light

up
> (the led's at the rear where you plug the cable in) ?
>
> --
> xx

Harrison

Yes. The light indicates a valid connection to another device.
Could be the cabling or the other device.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:17:52 -0500, "fhg" <(E-Mail Removed)_(notreal)>
wrote:

>other than a hardware fault on the card itself, or it not being seated
>properly in the slot, is there any other reason to cause it not to light up
>(the led's at the rear where you plug the cable in) ?

fhg

nope - correct cable (cat 5) & router on other end is ok (other attached pc
can use/connect). Must be the card ?!

> Wrong cable? Problem at the other end of the cable?
>

> > other than a hardware fault on the card itself, or it not being seated
> > properly in the slot, is there any other reason to cause it not to light

> up
> > (the led's at the rear where you plug the cable in) ?

Me

Cat 5 yes, but is it a straight through or a cross-over cable.

"fhg" <(E-Mail Removed)_(notreal)> wrote in message
news:LVvSb.64486$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> nope - correct cable (cat 5) & router on other end is ok (other attached

pc
> can use/connect). Must be the card ?!
>

> > Wrong cable? Problem at the other end of the cable?
> >

> > > other than a hardware fault on the card itself, or it not being seated
> > > properly in the slot, is there any other reason to cause it not to

light
> > up
> > > (the led's at the rear where you plug the cable in) ?

why?

wrote:

>other than a hardware fault on the card itself, or it not being seated
>properly in the slot, is there any other reason to cause it not to light up
>(the led's at the rear where you plug the cable in) ?

Both LEDs (Link/Speed)? The card model may not matter, you didn't
mention it.

The other end of the cable is not plugged into anything.

Cable fault, replace with a known good cable.

The device on the other end of the cable is not switched on.

Me

why?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:49:34 -0500, "fhg" <(E-Mail Removed)_(notreal)>
wrote:

>nope - correct cable (cat 5) & router on other end is ok (other attached pc

CAT rating is not the issue. Is it a patch cable or crossover?

>can use/connect). Must be the card ?!

Swap the ends at the PCs or swap cables or even swap connections at the
router.

>> Wrong cable? Problem at the other end of the cable?
>>

>> > other than a hardware fault on the card itself, or it not being seated
>> > properly in the slot, is there any other reason to cause it not to light

<snip>

Me

fhg

Straight through cable. .Same cable works ok on another known working
PC/internet connection & using same router

> Cat 5 yes, but is it a straight through or a cross-over cable.
>

> > nope - correct cable (cat 5) & router on other end is ok (other attached

> pc
> > can use/connect). Must be the card ?!
> >

> > > Wrong cable? Problem at the other end of the cable?

seated

> light
> > > up

Me

Try another port on the router. Still no go? Try a new NIC. They're cheap.

news:EQwSb.6556$(E-Mail Removed).. .