Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > pronunciation???

pronunciation???

claude nine

Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

°Mike°

http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronuncia...says-linux.wav

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:18:11 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
claude nine scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Harrison

Lin as in linen is the generally accepted pronunciation here in the
US.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:18:11 GMT, claude nine
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
>pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

"claude nine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
> pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

Like linen...but more like linnix.

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com
20% Discount Code: newsgroup

Harrison

You can't beat that answer!

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:34:35 +0000, °Mike°
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronuncia...says-linux.wav
>

>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:18:11 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> claude nine scrawled:
>

>>Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
>>pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

nemo

Contrived names of products normally use long vowels, i.e. "Lie" I know a
few computer buffs and they all insist it's as in "linen."

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronuncia...says-linux.wav
>

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:18:11 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> claude nine scrawled:
>

> >Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
> >pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

nemo

Butt don't forget they pronounce Colin as Coelin and Horse as Howywrs! - and
their horrible little child actors always squeak, "I wanna come teee-youw!"

And even And has become Eyyend!!!

And Koesovo?? And yet they don't call socks, soaks??

And then there's Nucular! So widespread the Pres - the guy with his finger
on the button - pronounces it that way and the ****mronunciation was
features in the daftest film of the century: Meet the Applegates!

So you got a Pres who can't pronounce Nuclear and a Sec of State who can't
even pronounce his own name!!! And all this in the greatest country in the
world??????

ROFLMFAO!!

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lin as in linen is the generally accepted pronunciation here in the
> US.
>

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:18:11 GMT, claude nine
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
> >pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

L Beck

You'll get as much discussion on this as you would asking how to pronounce
"data".

"nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FztSb.23583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Contrived names of products normally use long vowels, i.e. "Lie" I know a
> few computer buffs and they all insist it's as in "linen."
>

> °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronuncia...says-linux.wav
> >

> > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:18:11 GMT, in
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > claude nine scrawled:
> >

> > >Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
> > >pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

> > --
> > Basic computer maintenance

Harrison

Mike's link was to a wave file of the man for which the OS is named,
Linus Torvalds, pronouncing the word using the short i sound. I'd say
that pretty much closes the book on how it's pronounced.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:08:37 GMT, "nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Contrived names of products normally use long vowels, i.e. "Lie" I know a
>few computer buffs and they all insist it's as in "linen."
>

>°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronuncia...says-linux.wav
>>

>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:18:11 GMT, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> claude nine scrawled:
>>

>> >Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
>> >pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Harrison

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:18:34 GMT, "nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<drivel snip>
"****mronunciation was features in the"

How are things going with that glass house of yours?