Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Newsgroup Quotas - What to do to get more bytes?

Reply
Thread Tools

Newsgroup Quotas - What to do to get more bytes?

 
 
Ray Donzdorf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
I recently got earthlink cable on my system. I was not aware that there is a
download quota on newsgroups.
Earthlink cuts your cable modem speed to what seems to be 56k or slower when
one reaches newsgroup download quota. I am also using NewsRover which is
always searching and downloading files.

What a ripoff. I was able to download more Newsgroup files with my 56K
dialup modem connection than with a high speed cable connection. Now comes
the question. How, who, where can I get unlimited Newsgroup downloads? Do I
have to subscribe to another provider who is going to rip me off with hidden
costs?

Any suggestion will be appreciated, any negative comments such as I should
have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to the
vatican, anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno via a CD
by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
@}-}-------Rosee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
You can't go wrong with GigaNews.

http://www.giganews.com

I wouldn't switch for 'nuttin honey....;oD

"Ray Donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following
words news:YwhSb.1904$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net:

> I recently got earthlink cable on my system. I was not aware that there
> is a download quota on newsgroups.
> Earthlink cuts your cable modem speed to what seems to be 56k or slower
> when one reaches newsgroup download quota. I am also using NewsRover
> which is always searching and downloading files.
>
> What a ripoff. I was able to download more Newsgroup files with my 56K
> dialup modem connection than with a high speed cable connection. Now
> comes the question. How, who, where can I get unlimited Newsgroup
> downloads? Do I have to subscribe to another provider who is going to
> rip me off with hidden costs?
>
> Any suggestion will be appreciated, any negative comments such as I
> should have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to
> the vatican, anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno
> via a CD by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.


--
@}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
"This (TINT) is whatever I want it to be you bigfooted
belligerent bowlegged babblative babuina."~Zigi~
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Boomer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
Ray Donzdorf, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
> Now comes the question. How, who, where can I get
> unlimited Newsgroup downloads? Do I have to subscribe to another
> provider who is going to rip me off with hidden costs?
>

[snip]

Read through these groups:
alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
alt.free.newsservers
 
Reply With Quote
 
michael turner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:35:43 -0600, @}-}-------Rosee wrote:

> You can't go wrong with GigaNews.
>
> http://www.giganews.com


Yup I'd second that. Especially after using Virgin Net's abysmal Sinclair
ZX81 based news-server.

> I wouldn't switch for 'nuttin honey....;oD
>
> "Ray Donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the
> following words
> news:YwhSb.1904$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net:
>
>> I recently got earthlink cable on my system. I was not aware that there
>> is a download quota on newsgroups.
>> Earthlink cuts your cable modem speed to what seems to be 56k or slower
>> when one reaches newsgroup download quota. I am also using NewsRover
>> which is always searching and downloading files.
>>
>> What a ripoff. I was able to download more Newsgroup files with my 56K
>> dialup modem connection than with a high speed cable connection. Now
>> comes the question. How, who, where can I get unlimited Newsgroup
>> downloads? Do I have to subscribe to another provider who is going to
>> rip me off with hidden costs?
>>
>> Any suggestion will be appreciated, any negative comments such as I
>> should have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to
>> the vatican, anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno
>> via a CD by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.


--
Michael Turner
 
Reply With Quote
 
Willy Skass
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:26:32 GMT, "Ray Donzdorf"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

SNIP SNIP SNIP
>
>Any suggestion will be appreciated, any negative comments such as I should
>have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to the
>vatican, anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno via a CD
>by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.


I'm using Athena News www.athenanews.com and while it isn't
free, it's not bad. They have 3 plans: 1gigabyte d/l per day for
$5.95 a month; 2 gigs a day for $9.95 a month; and 5 gigs a day for
$19.95 a month. They go on a month to month basis. Or, you can pay
for six or twelve months and get some decent discounts.

Retention rate is good, and what I really like about them is the group
count, they currently have 133,264 groups available.

BTW: I am not affiliated with them in any way other than being a
satisfied customer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
[ Doc Jeff ]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:26:32 GMT, "Ray Donzdorf"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I recently got earthlink cable on my system.


Very sorry to hear that. Earthlink's newsgroup server(s) flat-out
suck. There is no question of this.

>Earthlink cuts your cable modem speed to what seems to be 56k or slower when
>one reaches newsgroup download quota.


I haven't been with them in almost a year but it sounds like the same
old crap to me. Tell me, are they still hiding behind that "newstest2"
crap? You know - the server that has been being upgraded for years...
Bah.

>What a ripoff. I was able to download more Newsgroup files with my 56K
>dialup modem connection than with a high speed cable connection. Now comes
>the question. How, who, where can I get unlimited Newsgroup downloads? Do I
>have to subscribe to another provider who is going to rip me off with hidden
>costs?


Take your pick. If you can afford it, Giganews is probably the best,
but they charge based on usage (say, 6GB/month for $xx) You probably
won't find NSP that'll give you unlimited access at your top speed.

>Any suggestion will be appreciated, any negative comments such as I should
>have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to the
>vatican


I have issues with Earthlink that don't even account for their
****-poor newsgroup (lack of)service... I do feel your pain.

>anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno via a CD
>by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.


Oddly enough, that is possible if you're willing to pay. I've seen
adverts for it in (ahem) Usenet groups

--
http://www.cotse.net - Use it, you know you want to.
If you're too scared to go look for yourself, ask me
about COTSE. I'd be happy to tell you about it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
Athenanews is the worst newsgroup service out there. I had them for a
month as I'm looking for a new service (usenet.com is awful nowadays)
and while 5 gigs per day is good, there is no way to download that
much as most files end up missing!

Stay away from this service!

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:34:37 -0600, Willy Skass <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:26:32 GMT, "Ray Donzdorf"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> SNIP SNIP SNIP
>>
>>Any suggestion will be appreciated, any negative comments such as I should
>>have done that and this and earthlink sucks will be forwarded to the
>>vatican, anyone willing to send me my daily fix of newsgroup porno via a CD
>>by US mail will be favorably mentioned in my will.

>
>I'm using Athena News www.athenanews.com and while it isn't
>free, it's not bad. They have 3 plans: 1gigabyte d/l per day for
>$5.95 a month; 2 gigs a day for $9.95 a month; and 5 gigs a day for
>$19.95 a month. They go on a month to month basis. Or, you can pay
>for six or twelve months and get some decent discounts.
>
>Retention rate is good, and what I really like about them is the group
>count, they currently have 133,264 groups available.
>
>BTW: I am not affiliated with them in any way other than being a
>satisfied customer.




----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MCDST: XP home does support disk quotas Pincopallino MCDST 12 08-28-2007 03:33 AM
Newbies Please Read: This is NOT a Windows Vista Newsgroup, it is however a Windows XP X64 Edition Newsgroup. Windows 64bit 16 06-27-2006 03:17 PM
Perl and Quotas John Call Perl Misc 2 02-16-2004 01:49 PM
Disk quotas Bay MCSA 0 09-14-2003 08:02 PM
Re: How to set up quotas in XP for each user? JohnR Computer Support 2 07-04-2003 05:41 PM



Advertisments