Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dual Booting

Dual Booting

Gareth Slee

I currently run Windows XP Pro. It's installed on an 80Gb drive with over
60Gb free.
I've been thinking of trying out Linux. Can I dual boot between the two
OS's?

If so, which distribution of Linux would you recommend?

Gareth

Harrison

As a matter of fact, yes, you can dual boot the two quite easily.
I suggest you try Knoppix first. Knoppix boots and runs Linux from the
CD. It's amazing as long as you have a decent amount of memory (256 or
more) in the system. With Knoppix, you can try Linux without changing
anything about your Windows installation.
If you like it, there is a way to install it to the hard drive as
well.
See http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

Red Hat and Mandrake are also good starter systems as they will create
the necessary partitions during the setup process, using Windows free
space.

I'm sure Linux gurus will weigh in as well.

More information:
www.linuxiso.org - Download free Linux and BSD cd images.
http://gag.sourceforge.net/ - Gag Bootloader (some prefer it over LILO
and other Linux boot loaders.

***Important***
If you don't know how to restore the Windows Master Boot Record, print
this part out. You may want to use it if you decide to go back to a
single boot XP system, or if there's trouble with the Linux loader.

Boot to the XP CD and choose to repair. Choose the given Windows
installation (typically 1) and enter the Admin. password when
prompted.
At the command prompt, type fixmbr and hit Enter.

Good Luck!

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:40:45 -0000, "Gareth Slee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I currently run Windows XP Pro. It's installed on an 80Gb drive with over
>60Gb free.
>I've been thinking of trying out Linux. Can I dual boot between the two
>OS's?
>
>If so, which distribution of Linux would you recommend?
>
>Gareth

Alexander Rogge

> I currently run Windows XP Pro. It's installed on an 80Gb drive with over
> 60Gb free.
> I've been thinking of trying out Linux. Can I dual boot between the two
> OS's?
> If so, which distribution of Linux would you recommend?

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.2/features/
http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/

These distributions can automatically partition and configure your hard
disk for dual-booting to Windows and Linux.

Networking with dual booting Thomas Wireless Networking 1 03-13-2005 12:03 AM
Dual Booting XP Thomas Wireless Networking 2 02-26-2005 11:32 PM
Dual Booting Naveed Anwar MCSE 13 09-09-2004 09:30 PM
Dual Booting 2000 and 2003 molsonexpert MCSE 14 06-12-2004 07:17 AM

Advertisments