Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > inserting word document into front page express web page

Reply
Thread Tools

inserting word document into front page express web page

 
 
Route 9w
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2004
Every time I do this, all the extraneous 'web bot' thingies show up.
Does anyone know how to eliminate them other than the hard way?
Thanks
Joe


-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2004
Copy and paste?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:35:02 -0500, Route 9w <elvis @brick_row.net>
wrote:

>Every time I do this, all the extraneous 'web bot' thingies show up.
>Does anyone know how to eliminate them other than the hard way?
>Thanks
>Joe
>
>
>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Route 9w
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2004
sorry, I was not clear. I have no problems bringing them up in FPE,
but the little 'web bot' squares show up and need to be deleted.

they are yellow in color and indicate some kid of spacing in the
document.

Here is a text sample --text should just say

Number of patients transported


I cannot show you the yellow things here --they show up as yoellow
squares with <?> inside them

After I delete all of them, the &nbsp thingies have to be deleted to
correct the web document spacing

Thanks for the time.
Joe


<p class="MsoHeader"
style="margin-right:-.5in;tab-stops:.5in 3.0in"><b><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:
10.0pt"><span
style="mso-tab-count:1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</span>&gt;Number of patients transported<span
style="mso-tab-count:2">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;& nbsp;&nbsp;
</span>------------------------<span
style="mso-tab-count:1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span><span
style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>666<o></o></span></b></p>



On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:58:22 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>Copy and paste?
>
>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:35:02 -0500, Route 9w <elvis @brick_row.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Every time I do this, all the extraneous 'web bot' thingies show up.
>>Does anyone know how to eliminate them other than the hard way?
>>Thanks
>>Joe
>>
>>
>>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
 
Reply With Quote
 
Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2004
Not a direct answer, but if you're wanting to convert Word docs for
use on the web, and you want to maintain the formatting, I suggest you
use Adobe Acrobat.

Also take a look at Open Office.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:28:32 -0500, Route 9w <elvis @brick_row.net>
wrote:

>sorry, I was not clear. I have no problems bringing them up in FPE,
>but the little 'web bot' squares show up and need to be deleted.
>
>they are yellow in color and indicate some kid of spacing in the
>document.
>
>Here is a text sample --text should just say
>
>Number of patients transported
>
>
>I cannot show you the yellow things here --they show up as yoellow
>squares with <?> inside them
>
>After I delete all of them, the &nbsp thingies have to be deleted to
>correct the web document spacing
>
>Thanks for the time.
>Joe
>
>
><p class="MsoHeader"
>style="margin-right:-.5in;tab-stops:.5in 3.0in"><b><span
>style="font-size:12.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:
>10.0pt"><span
>style="mso-tab-count:1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
></span>&gt;Number of patients transported<span
>style="mso-tab-count:2">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;& nbsp;&nbsp;
></span>------------------------<span
>style="mso-tab-count:1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span><span
>style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>666<o></o></span></b></p>
>
>
>
>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:58:22 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>
>>Copy and paste?
>>
>>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:35:02 -0500, Route 9w <elvis @brick_row.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Every time I do this, all the extraneous 'web bot' thingies show up.
>>>Does anyone know how to eliminate them other than the hard way?
>>>Thanks
>>>Joe
>>>
>>>
>>>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>>>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

>
>
>
>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----


 
Reply With Quote
 
jda^fx
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2004
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:35:02 -0500, Route 9w <elvis @brick_row.net>
wrote:

>Every time I do this, all the extraneous 'web bot' thingies show up.
>Does anyone know how to eliminate them other than the hard way?
>Thanks
>Joe
>
>
>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----


It's very easy. Stop using Front Page. The code it generate is way out
of the standart set by the W3C, try the validator at
http://validator.w3.org/ A nice little html editor is HTML-Kit
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ (freeware) and Mozilla composer
http://www.mozilla.org (also freeware) comes with wysiwyg editor and
all.
--
and never X marks the spot
jda^fx
 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:28:32 -0500, Route 9w wrote:

>sorry, I was not clear. I have no problems bringing them up in FPE,
>but the little 'web bot' squares show up and need to be deleted.


Don't the webbot squares only show up in HTML edit view. If you view the
page in browser it should look (allowing for the crap HTML and any
conversion process) more as expected.

>they are yellow in color and indicate some kid of spacing in the
>document.
>
>Here is a text sample --text should just say
>
>Number of patients transported
>
>
>I cannot show you the yellow things here --they show up as yoellow
>squares with <?> inside them
>
>After I delete all of them, the &nbsp thingies have to be deleted to
>correct the web document spacing


So is the original document using spaces or tabs to do the layout?

Convert to one of these,
PDF Adobe Acrobat format,
Text,
or
Save as HTML from Word first. Not great. But it lets you cut/paste the
HTML result (remeber to remove the <HTML>, heading, body bits.)
Bit you already did that? FPE I didn't think it will convert a .doc into
the format as you pasted below.

Are you simply dragging the .doc into the FPE edit window?

The &nbsp thingies, are non-breaking spaces.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml...html#iso-88591
24.2.1 The list of characters

<!ENTITY nbsp CDATA "&#160;" -- no-break space = non-breaking space,
U+00A0 ISOnum -->

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...214630,00.html
When you type several consecutive spaces into an HTML file, only the
first space is recognized; all spaces that follow are ignored.


>Thanks for the time.
>Joe
>
>
><p class="MsoHeader"
>style="margin-right:-.5in;tab-stops:.5in 3.0in"><b><span
>style="font-size:12.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:
>10.0pt"><span
>style="mso-tab-count:1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;


<snip>

>
>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:58:22 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>
>>Copy and paste?
>>
>>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:35:02 -0500, Route 9w <elvis @brick_row.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Every time I do this, all the extraneous 'web bot' thingies show up.
>>>Does anyone know how to eliminate them other than the hard way?
>>>Thanks
>>>Joe

<snip>

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Route 9w
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-31-2004
Thanks for the time.


Actually, I just opened the word document using FPE, which I find very
easy to use, and the result was the 'bot' stuff.

As I do not know about spaces or tab use for sure, here is what one
line of the document looks like in word:

>Number of EMS calls dispatched


Here is the html code as it is in the document when 'saved as web
page' in word and then opened in FPE:

<p class="MsoNormal"
style="margin-right:-.5in;tab-stops:.5in 3.0in"><span
style="mso-tab-count:
1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</span><b>&gt;Number of EMS calls dispatched <span
style="mso-tab-count:2">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</span>------------------------<span
style="mso-tab-count:1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</span>1162<o></o></span></b></p>
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................

To test, I opened a new blank word document, keyed in the
text,-->Number of EMS calls dispatched-- saved it as a web page--then
opened it in FPE(convert from HTML) and here is the (apologies for the
length) document that resulted!

<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">
<meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage Express 2.0">
<title>>Number of EMS calls Dispatched</title>
<link rel="File-List"
href="./Number%20of%20EMS%20calls%20Dispatched%20joe%20tes t_files/filelist.xml">
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<oocumentProperties>
<o:Author>Test</o:Author>
<o:LastAuthor>Test</o:LastAuthor>
<o:Revision>1</o:Revision>
<o:TotalTime>1</o:TotalTime>
<o:Created>2004-01-31T13:27:00Z</o:Created>
<o:LastSaved>2004-01-31T13:28:00Z</o:LastSaved>
<oages>1</oages>
<o:Company>Test Company</o:Company>
<o:Lines>1</o:Lines>
<oaragraphs>1</oaragraphs>
<o:Version>9.6926</o:Version>
</oocumentProperties>
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
<!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:Tahoma;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;
mso-font-charset:0;
mso-generic-font-family:swiss;
mso-font-pitch:variable;
mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>
</head>

<body lang="EN-US" style="tab-interval:.5in">

<p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-family:Tahoma">&gt;Number of
EMS calls Dispatched<o></o></span></b></p>
</body>
</html>

Of course, the yellow bot symbols appeared(one at the beginning and
three at the end). Of course, it does seem a might bit awful lot of
code for the 5 or 6 words!

I am sure that i need to remove something to stop this but maybe it is
just better to rekey the document directly into an html editor. I did
download Mozilla and the html kit and, while they seem to be OK, I am
used to FPE. If I have to rekey, I will probably not use FPE, but the
Mozilla, as it looks the friendliest.


I apologize for the length and probably unnecessary long length of
this post.
Joe


On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:18:59 GMT, why?
<fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

>
>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:28:32 -0500, Route 9w wrote:
>
>>sorry, I was not clear. I have no problems bringing them up in FPE,
>>but the little 'web bot' squares show up and need to be deleted.

>
>Don't the webbot squares only show up in HTML edit view. If you view the
>page in browser it should look (allowing for the crap HTML and any
>conversion process) more as expected.
>
>>they are yellow in color and indicate some kid of spacing in the
>>document.
>>
>>Here is a text sample --text should just say
>>
>>Number of patients transported
>>
>>
>>I cannot show you the yellow things here --they show up as yoellow
>>squares with <?> inside them
>>
>>After I delete all of them, the &nbsp thingies have to be deleted to
>>correct the web document spacing

>
>So is the original document using spaces or tabs to do the layout?
>
>Convert to one of these,
>PDF Adobe Acrobat format,
>Text,
>or
>Save as HTML from Word first. Not great. But it lets you cut/paste the
>HTML result (remeber to remove the <HTML>, heading, body bits.)
>Bit you already did that? FPE I didn't think it will convert a .doc into
>the format as you pasted below.
>
>Are you simply dragging the .doc into the FPE edit window?
>
>The &nbsp thingies, are non-breaking spaces.
>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml...html#iso-88591
>24.2.1 The list of characters
>
><!ENTITY nbsp CDATA "&#160;" -- no-break space = non-breaking space,
> U+00A0 ISOnum -->
>
>http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...214630,00.html
>When you type several consecutive spaces into an HTML file, only the
>first space is recognized; all spaces that follow are ignored.
>
>
>>Thanks for the time.
>>Joe
>>
>>
>><p class="MsoHeader"
>>style="margin-right:-.5in;tab-stops:.5in 3.0in"><b><span
>>style="font-size:12.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:
>>10.0pt"><span
>>style="mso-tab-count:1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

>
><snip>
>
>>
>>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:58:22 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>>
>>>Copy and paste?
>>>
>>>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:35:02 -0500, Route 9w <elvis @brick_row.net>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>Every time I do this, all the extraneous 'web bot' thingies show up.
>>>>Does anyone know how to eliminate them other than the hard way?
>>>>Thanks
>>>>Joe

><snip>
>
>Me




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-31-2004

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:40:20 -0500, Route 9w wrote:

>Thanks for the time.
>
>
>Actually, I just opened the word document using FPE, which I find very
>easy to use, and the result was the 'bot' stuff.


Always happens.

>
>As I do not know about spaces or tab use for sure, here is what one
>line of the document looks like in word:
>
>>Number of EMS calls dispatched

>
>Here is the html code as it is in the document when 'saved as web
>page' in word and then opened in FPE:


Something to avoid, the MS HTML produced is heading towards XML and a
lot of inline CSS for document portablity but still very bloated code.

><p class="MsoNormal"
>style="margin-right:-.5in;tab-stops:.5in 3.0in"><span
>style="mso-tab-count:
>1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
></span><b>&gt;Number of EMS calls dispatched <span
>style="mso-tab-count:2">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

<snip>

>To test, I opened a new blank word document, keyed in the
>text,-->Number of EMS calls dispatched-- saved it as a web page--then
>opened it in FPE(convert from HTML) and here is the (apologies for the
>length) document that resulted!


Seen this all too often, never used FPE however but FP 1.1 to 2003 all
do the same rubbish.

><html>
>
><head>
><meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
>content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">
><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9">


As long as you keep using ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ you will
always get the bots, for unknown tags as FPE has no way of understanding
the markup Word created.

><meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage Express 2.0">
><title>>Number of EMS calls Dispatched</title>
><link rel="File-List"
>href="./Number%20of%20EMS%20calls%20Dispatched%20joe%20tes t_files/filelist.xml">
><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
> <oocumentProperties>

<snip>
>
>Of course, the yellow bot symbols appeared(one at the beginning and
>three at the end). Of course, it does seem a might bit awful lot of
>code for the 5 or 6 words!


As mentioned before convert the Word file to PDF.

>I am sure that i need to remove something to stop this but maybe it is
>just better to rekey the document directly into an html editor. I did


Possible, but having used FP a lot, but 3 or 4 years ago now the simple
solution was to always save the Word doc as text. Paste the text into FP
editor and reformat it there. This is not always possible and the extra
works was a pain and could take a while.

Although you said the webot markers still show, as unknown code deleting
these will cause complications in the markup.
What I didn't see an answer for was I think I asked, Ignoring the webots
in FPE did the page display ok in a browser?

The trick is, you noticed you have to edit around the bots and fix the
spacing where all the non-breaking spaces went.

>download Mozilla and the html kit and, while they seem to be OK, I am
>used to FPE. If I have to rekey, I will probably not use FPE, but the
>Mozilla, as it looks the friendliest.

<snip>

>I apologize for the length and probably unnecessary long length of
>this post.
>Joe


Well a shorter markup example may have been okay

You will find I expect most any editor will have a problem with the
markup from Word / Save As webpage.

Anything that converts 'This is one third line in HTML' into 60 lines of
markup must have some issues.

>
>On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:18:59 GMT, why?
><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>
>>
>>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:28:32 -0500, Route 9w wrote:
>>
>>>sorry, I was not clear. I have no problems bringing them up in FPE,
>>>but the little 'web bot' squares show up and need to be deleted.

>>
>>Don't the webbot squares only show up in HTML edit view. If you view the
>>page in browser it should look (allowing for the crap HTML and any
>>conversion process) more as expected.
>>
>>>they are yellow in color and indicate some kid of spacing in the
>>>document.
>>>
>>>Here is a text sample --text should just say
>>>
>>>Number of patients transported
>>>
>>>
>>>I cannot show you the yellow things here --they show up as yoellow
>>>squares with <?> inside them
>>>

<snip>

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inserting '-' character in front of all numbers in a string kevinliu23 Python 10 04-03-2007 01:21 PM
Inserting a value into word doc Flurry ASP .Net 6 09-12-2006 07:46 PM
Inserting picture into message in Outlook Express =?Utf-8?B?U2hlaWxh?= Microsoft Certification 5 08-18-2006 12:31 AM
inserting raw xml into a rexml document Ara.T.Howard Ruby 2 12-11-2005 07:16 AM
Inserting FileName and Path in Word document Mym Computer Support 2 07-15-2004 07:39 AM



Advertisments