Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE 6.0 Media file downloading problems

IE 6.0 Media file downloading problems

Earl

How do I get Internet Explorer (or media player!) open/play/download media
files with a .wmv or .unk extension from a secure website? Either I left
click on the file icon to open; in which case IE displays a blank page
with website/file address and a placeholder icon--instead playing the file
in Media Player.

If I right click and select " Save Target As" I get an error message:

"Internet Explorer cannot down load http.<file name address> Internet
Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is
either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

This only happens with .wmv files (which are apparently downloaded as .unk
files). Keep in mind I am a paying registered member of the site in question
too!!

Is there some Internet Explorer or Media Player setting that I need to
adjust? Can anyone offer any advice? I was once able to download .wmv
media files just fine until a few IE critical updates ago.

°Mike°

If they are streaming media files, they are not meant to
be downloaded.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:47:37 GMT, in
<tSXRb.757$(E-Mail Removed) t>
Earl scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Earl

I'd settle for just being able to view them. But that doesn't seem possible
for the file types I described. The strange thing is that it used to work
fine, I'd click on the file and it would open and play and I could save it
as well.

Anyone have any ideas?
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If they are streaming media files, they are not meant to
> be downloaded.
>

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:47:37 GMT, in
> <tSXRb.757$(E-Mail Removed) t>
> Earl scrawled:
>
> >How do I get Internet Explorer (or media player!) open/play/download

media
> >files with a .wmv or .unk extension from a secure website? Either I left
> >click on the file icon to open; in which case IE displays a blank page
> >with website/file address and a placeholder icon--instead playing the

file
> >in Media Player.
> >
> > If I right click and select " Save Target As" I get an error message:
> >
> > "Internet Explorer cannot down load http.<file name address> Internet
> >Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is
> >either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."
> >
> >This only happens with .wmv files (which are apparently downloaded as

..unk
> >files). Keep in mind I am a paying registered member of the site in

question
> >too!!
> >
> > Is there some Internet Explorer or Media Player setting that I need to
> >adjust? Can anyone offer any advice? I was once able to download .wmv
> >media files just fine until a few IE critical updates ago.
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Maybe the link is bad. Try supplying a link, or two, so that
somebody else can check them.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:59:23 GMT, in
<v1YRb.769$(E-Mail Removed) t>
Earl scrawled:

>I'd settle for just being able to view them. But that doesn't seem possible
>for the file types I described. The strange thing is that it used to work
>fine, I'd click on the file and it would open and play and I could save it
>as well.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If they are streaming media files, they are not meant to
>> be downloaded.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance