Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to completely get rid of WINDOWS MESSENGER

How to completely get rid of WINDOWS MESSENGER

JB

Hi!

Can somebody help me with the following problem?
On a computer with Windows XP Home Edition installed I use MSN Messenger
as the program with which I like to communicate.

I don't want to use the Windows Messenger in XP.
But all the time I get messages asking to install a new version of the
Windows Messenger,
which I don't want to use in the first place.

I tried to uninstall Windows Messenger via the official way (uninstall as a
module of Windows XP),
which seemed to work, but on the next startup of Windows Windows Messenger
was there again!

Can somebody tell me whether I can completely disable or remove Windows
Messenger
from Windows XP Home Edition, so that after that I can use MSN Messenger
exclusively?

In the current situation I can work with MSN Messenger, but now every time
as I login
with MSN Messenger I get a message that I was disconnected from .NET
passport
(or something like that) because I was allready connected from another
location.
Can somebody explain me what this means and what I cab do about that?

Thanks in advance!

Jan Bours

░Mike░

<Canned response>

You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
firewall.

To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
open the Services panel by typing...

services.msc /s

....into the Start / Run box.
In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
Right click and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Stop' button.
From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
'Apply / Ok'.

More information:

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
Advertisement Appears

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

Shoot The Messenger
http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

After disabling Messenger, test your system here:
http://www.mynetwatchman.com/winpopuptester.asp

Firewalls:
------------
Outpost

Sygate
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:24:21 +0100, in
<bv9cql$nld$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>
JB scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Harrison

Disable Messenger Service:
Right click My Computer and choose Manage.
In the right pane, double-click Services and Applications, then
double-click Services.
Scroll down until you see Messenger, then double-click it.
Click Stop and change the Startup type to disabled.

That said, I'm not sure that's going to stop what you want stopped.
It sounds to me like you're getting standard upgrade reminders on MSN
Messenger (the chat client), and the best way to stop them is to
switch to either Trillian or AIM

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:24:21 +0100, "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Can somebody help me with the following problem?
>On a computer with Windows XP Home Edition installed I use MSN Messenger
>as the program with which I like to communicate.
>
>I don't want to use the Windows Messenger in XP.
>But all the time I get messages asking to install a new version of the
>Windows Messenger,
>which I don't want to use in the first place.
>
>I tried to uninstall Windows Messenger via the official way (uninstall as a
>module of Windows XP),
>which seemed to work, but on the next startup of Windows Windows Messenger
>was there again!
>
>Can somebody tell me whether I can completely disable or remove Windows
>Messenger
>from Windows XP Home Edition, so that after that I can use MSN Messenger
>exclusively?
>
>In the current situation I can work with MSN Messenger, but now every time
>as I login
>with MSN Messenger I get a message that I was disconnected from .NET
>passport
>(or something like that) because I was allready connected from another
>location.
>Can somebody explain me what this means and what I cab do about that?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Jan Bours

˝Ks

start, run, paste:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

click ok.....

"JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bv9cql$nld$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> Hi!
>
> Can somebody help me with the following problem?
> On a computer with Windows XP Home Edition installed I use MSN Messenger
> as the program with which I like to communicate.
>
> I don't want to use the Windows Messenger in XP.
> But all the time I get messages asking to install a new version of the
> Windows Messenger,
> which I don't want to use in the first place.
>
> I tried to uninstall Windows Messenger via the official way (uninstall as

> module of Windows XP),
> which seemed to work, but on the next startup of Windows Windows Messenger
> was there again!
>
> Can somebody tell me whether I can completely disable or remove Windows
> Messenger
> from Windows XP Home Edition, so that after that I can use MSN Messenger
> exclusively?
>
> In the current situation I can work with MSN Messenger, but now every time
> as I login
> with MSN Messenger I get a message that I was disconnected from .NET
> passport
> (or something like that) because I was allready connected from another
> location.
> Can somebody explain me what this means and what I cab do about that?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Jan Bours

˝Ks

Not that messenger, you moron...

"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> >module of Windows XP),
> >which seemed to work, but on the next startup of Windows Windows

Messenger
> >was there again!
> >
> >Can somebody tell me whether I can completely disable or remove Windows
> >Messenger
> >from Windows XP Home Edition, so that after that I can use MSN Messenger
> >exclusively?
> >
> >In the current situation I can work with MSN Messenger, but now every

time
> >as I login
> >with MSN Messenger I get a message that I was disconnected from .NET
> >passport
> >(or something like that) because I was allready connected from another
> >location.
> >Can somebody explain me what this means and what I cab do about that?

Senti

Harrison did mumble http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...

> Disable Messenger Service:
> Right click My Computer and choose Manage.
> In the right pane, double-click Services and Applications, then
> double-click Services.
> Scroll down until you see Messenger, then double-click it.
> Click Stop and change the Startup type to disabled.
>
> That said, I'm not sure that's going to stop what you want stopped.
> It sounds to me like you're getting standard upgrade reminders on MSN
> Messenger (the chat client), and the best way to stop them is to
> switch to either Trillian or AIM

That's not what the OP was talking about. There are two versions of an
instant messanger program: Windows Messenger & MSN Messenger. Windows
Messenger is installed by default with XP where as you need to download MSN
Messenger.

Read here for more info if you like:
http://tinyurl.com/35epy

--
~SF~
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12

Senti

JB did mumble bv9cql$nld$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...

> Hi!
>
> Can somebody help me with the following problem?
> On a computer with Windows XP Home Edition installed I use MSN
> Messenger as the program with which I like to communicate.
>
> I don't want to use the Windows Messenger in XP.
> But all the time I get messages asking to install a new version of the
> Windows Messenger,
> which I don't want to use in the first place.
>
> I tried to uninstall Windows Messenger via the official way
> (uninstall as a module of Windows XP),
> which seemed to work, but on the next startup of Windows Windows
> Messenger was there again!
>
> Can somebody tell me whether I can completely disable or remove
> Windows Messenger
> from Windows XP Home Edition, so that after that I can use MSN
> Messenger exclusively?
>
> In the current situation I can work with MSN Messenger, but now every
> time as I login
> with MSN Messenger I get a message that I was disconnected from .NET
> passport
> (or something like that) because I was allready connected from another
> location.
> Can somebody explain me what this means and what I cab do about that?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Jan Bours

Read these links:
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-05.html
http://www.andyrathbone.com/tips/messenger.html
http://www.pchell.com/support/removemessenger.shtml

--
~SF~
In the beginning Man created God; and in the image of Man created he

jeroen

I used this before, works great !!

jeroen

news:(E-Mail Removed)...