Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > xp firewall vs.zonealarm

xp firewall vs.zonealarm

ICee

Šaz ©. wrote:
> if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or
> disabling it and using zonealarm?
> tia

Disable the XP firewall and use ZoneAlarm.

ICee

ICee wrote:
> Šaz ©. wrote:
>> if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or
>> disabling it and using zonealarm?
>> tia

> Disable the XP firewall and use ZoneAlarm.

And fix your clock. You're posting from the future.

Miggsee

I agree with ICee, due to the fact that ZA monitors out going
communications, and XP's firewall does not.

"Šaz ©." <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote in message
news:TfTRb.12587$(E-Mail Removed)...
> if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or disabling
> it and using zonealarm?
> tia

Harrison

If you have a router or modem running NAT, the XP firewall is all you
need. You can use the Advanced tab to tweak the settings.
If you do not use NAT, then some other firewall is recommended.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:33:21 -0800, "Šaz ©." <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote:

>if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or disabling
>it and using zonealarm?
>tia

Boomer

Šaz ©., <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote:

> if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or
> disabling it and using zonealarm?
> tia

Please fix your clock. You are posting from the future.

Thanks.

fkasner

Šaz ©. wrote:
> if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or disabling
> it and using zonealarm?
> tia

ZONEALARM will monitor and control both input and output. Not so for the
XP firewall.
FK

Budweiser

"Šaz ©." <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote in message
news:TfTRb.12587$(E-Mail Removed)...
> if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or disabling
> it and using zonealarm?
> tia

Personally i would do as suggested and not use the built in firewall.However
although people sing the praises of zone alarm, i am not one of them--not
that i advocate using Norton ("bloaty").
I use --at present--Panda Platinum--and have had zero problems with virus or
"attacks"--percieved or intentional.
Others i have used ,and still do on some machines
include-BlackIce(firewall)--Norton, but i does mess with the setup/config of
the machine, and takes up more space than a fat thing on a fat day on a
budget airline seat,and not forgetting McAfee,which is also tedious to set
up,and catches little(when i had it running).

From my experience a firewall is of little use-it covers a percieved
risk--who wants to hack a home machine??-they present no challenge and no
reward once entered.Most "attacks" you will (at home ) see are just
scanners,or your IP seeing if your cable modem is alive and well, and or
checking for periods of inactivity(dialup).

However i do consider antiviri essential as the source can be from any
number of media (web/floppy/borrowed cd et all) but again very few viri
will actually harm you--they just like to re-populate themselves via address
books etc--more of a nuisence than anything else.But there are ones out
there that will mess with the system,so protection is a sensible idea.

Do the AV companies create viri to scare us into buying detection
software??--who knows,but it would not be the first time that someone has
created a market for thier wares.

The choice as ever is yours--

just my thoughts on the subject,and as ever there will be someone along with
a different point of view.

Miggsee

Oops! I missed the timing........

news:4018093c$0$191$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> Šaz ©., <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote:
>
> > if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or
> > disabling it and using zonealarm?
> > tia

> Please fix your clock. You are posting from the future.
>
> Thanks.

Boomer

Miggsee, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Oops! I missed the timing........

Shame on you! lol

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> Šaz ©., <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote:
>>
>> > if XP has its own firewall would I be better sticking with it or
>> > disabling it and using zonealarm?
>> > tia

>> Please fix your clock. You are posting from the future.
>>
>> Thanks.

Šaz ©.