Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook - Mapisp32 problem

Outlook - Mapisp32 problem

Randy

am experiencing a problem with Outlook 2000 (CW)

When program is opened, MapiSP32.exe consumes 99% of CPU cycles. No errors
are returned, just keeps churning.

Cannot find anything in MS Knowledge Base that addresses this.

Have run Scanpst.exe with no errors reported in the pst file

Tired renaming Mapi files then reinstalling office.

Created a new pst, imported data from original pst. Did not fix.

Anyone seen this before?

Randy

On further review, I have found an email in the outbox that
will not allow me to delete it.

I have tried several things but no joy on that as yet.

Nothing in MS Knowledge Base that addresses this.

Anyone have any ideas?

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bv6n0q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> am experiencing a problem with Outlook 2000 (CW)
>
> When program is opened, MapiSP32.exe consumes 99% of CPU cycles. No errors
> are returned, just keeps churning.
>
> Cannot find anything in MS Knowledge Base that addresses this.
>
> Have run Scanpst.exe with no errors reported in the pst file
>
> Tired renaming Mapi files then reinstalling office.
>
> Created a new pst, imported data from original pst. Did not fix.
>
> Anyone seen this before?

Randy

Have solved the problem.

MS B # 264745 discusses Outlook 2000 having a problem permanently deleting
delayed delivery messages in the Outbox. While i could not directly delete
the message in Outlook 2000, connected the pst file to a system using
Outlook 2003.
Was able to delete the offending email completely in that version.

Reinstalled the pst to the original system. Also, had to go into mail
properties and remove the Outlook Address Book and Re-Add it.

Is working fine now.

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bv8qsn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On further review, I have found an email in the outbox that
> will not allow me to delete it.
>
> I have tried several things but no joy on that as yet.
>
> Nothing in MS Knowledge Base that addresses this.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> "Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bv6n0q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > am experiencing a problem with Outlook 2000 (CW)
> >
> > When program is opened, MapiSP32.exe consumes 99% of CPU cycles. No

errors
> > are returned, just keeps churning.
> >
> > Cannot find anything in MS Knowledge Base that addresses this.
> >
> > Have run Scanpst.exe with no errors reported in the pst file
> >
> > Tired renaming Mapi files then reinstalling office.
> >
> > Created a new pst, imported data from original pst. Did not fix.
> >
> > Anyone seen this before?

Tx

What I have ended up discovering is that One of my folks somehow forwarded
an email Infected with the MyDoom / Novarg virus.

Once in the Outbox, it basically ties up the Mapi Service trying to send the
email to the SMTP server. The Cpu usage goes through the ceiling, averaging
about 98%.

Additionally, you cannot simply delete it from the Outbox. The system
doesn't respond to any delete actions whether keyboard or Mouse based.

After uninstalling MS Office, wiping Mapi files, and reinstalling, I ended
up at the same place.

That is when I discovered the problem seems to lie in how Outlook 2000
handles outgoing mail.

So I brought the offending pst file to my system and opened it in Outlook
2003 which I am testing.

I was able to delete the infected email from the Outbox and Deleted folder
without any problem.

I then copied the pst file back to the original System and fired up their
Outlook. Worked just fine.

In one instance, I had to play with the contact service, removing it and
adding back. All the other Systems had no problem at all.

Sorry about being so long winded. Hope this helps.