Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Upgraded my Ram, now Hard drive makes lots of noise.

Upgraded my Ram, now Hard drive makes lots of noise.

lbbs

I have a dell dimension 4100, p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k.
I upgrade with an additional 256MB pc133 ram (Kingston). But now the
hard drive seams to be working a lot harder. I seams like it is always
spinning away in the back round. Before I would only hear the hard drive
spinning when it did auto backups of my AutoCAD drawings (once every half
hour). I thought getting more ram will make the hard drive work less,
not more. Any ideas?

SgtMinor

lbbs wrote:

> I have a dell dimension 4100, p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k.
> I upgrade with an additional 256MB pc133 ram (Kingston). But now the
> hard drive seams to be working a lot harder. I seams like it is always
> spinning away in the back round. Before I would only hear the hard drive
> spinning when it did auto backups of my AutoCAD drawings (once every half
> hour). I thought getting more ram will make the hard drive work less,
> not more. Any ideas?

More RAM means less work for the hard drive, generally. If you have a
laptop, for instance, your battery should last longer with more RAM.
Does the OS see the additional RAM? Does AutoCAD run faster?

Check the hard drive's data cable on both ends. Maybe you nudged it a
bit while installing the memory.

lbbs

I should not say that it spins all the time, but definitely a lot more often
then it did before the upgrade.
If the cable was loose then you would think that the hd would not work at
all.

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> lbbs wrote:
> >
> > I have a dell dimension 4100, p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133,

win2k.
> > I upgrade with an additional 256MB pc133 ram (Kingston). But now the
> > hard drive seams to be working a lot harder. I seams like it is

always
> > spinning away in the back round. Before I would only hear the hard

drive
> > spinning when it did auto backups of my AutoCAD drawings (once every

half
> > hour). I thought getting more ram will make the hard drive work

less,
> > not more. Any ideas?

> More RAM means less work for the hard drive, generally. If you have a
> laptop, for instance, your battery should last longer with more RAM.
> Does the OS see the additional RAM? Does AutoCAD run faster?
>
> Check the hard drive's data cable on both ends. Maybe you nudged it a
> bit while installing the memory.

hepcat

When you add more memory, you should remember to go into control
panel-system-advanced click the performance button, click the change
button, and reset the paging file to the recommended amount.

It is also good to have a disk defragmenter that can defragment the
paging file if necessary. The paging file may get fragmented when
windows changes virtually memory because not enough is available.
AutoCAD can be memory intensive so maybe this is the case.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:26:07 -0500, "lbbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> grunted:

>I have a dell dimension 4100, p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k.
>I upgrade with an additional 256MB pc133 ram (Kingston). But now the
>hard drive seams to be working a lot harder. I seams like it is always
>spinning away in the back round. Before I would only hear the hard drive
>spinning when it did auto backups of my AutoCAD drawings (once every half
>hour). I thought getting more ram will make the hard drive work less,
>not more. Any ideas?

SgtMinor

lbbs wrote:

> I should not say that it spins all the time, but definitely a lot more often
> then it did before the upgrade.
> If the cable was loose then you would think that the hd would not work at
> all.

I wouldn't think that because I've seen drives try to operate with a
loose controller cable. That's why I suggested you check it.