Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 2004 Norton GoBack installation problem

Reply
Thread Tools

2004 Norton GoBack installation problem

 
 
Frank
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
My 40gb disk, single partition fat 32, with windows xp home upgrade was too
small so it was replaced with a 120gb disk. This 120gb disk was formated
with two 60gb partitions, basic disk (not dynamic), NTFS. I used western
digital data lifeguard for the partition as well as transfering all the
files including the win xp os. Pretty cool since no need to reinstall
everything. The 40 gb was removed. So now I have one 120gb drive and one DVD
burner. Everything works fine except trying to install norton goback. I have
the following message during goback installation:

"Norton GoBack is unable to determine which of your hard drives is the boot
drive.
Norton GoBack cannot be installed until this problem is corrected."

C partition has the win xp os and D partition is just for data. I read
goback don't work for dynamic disk but mine is basic disk. And ideas?

TIA


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
Why use the gocrap junk?


"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a3vRb.36199$U%5.211965@attbi_s03...
> My 40gb disk, single partition fat 32, with windows xp home upgrade was

too
> small so it was replaced with a 120gb disk. This 120gb disk was formated
> with two 60gb partitions, basic disk (not dynamic), NTFS. I used western
> digital data lifeguard for the partition as well as transfering all the
> files including the win xp os. Pretty cool since no need to reinstall
> everything. The 40 gb was removed. So now I have one 120gb drive and one

DVD
> burner. Everything works fine except trying to install norton goback. I

have
> the following message during goback installation:
>
> "Norton GoBack is unable to determine which of your hard drives is the

boot
> drive.
> Norton GoBack cannot be installed until this problem is corrected."
>
> C partition has the win xp os and D partition is just for data. I read
> goback don't work for dynamic disk but mine is basic disk. And ideas?
>
> TIA
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frank Wong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
It came with 2004 Norton Systemworks and besides I had 2003 GoBack on another
machine and saved my butt many, many times. You have something better?

"Ks" wrote:

> Why use the gocrap junk?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
Yeh, the system restore built into XP...

"Frank Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It came with 2004 Norton Systemworks and besides I had 2003 GoBack on

another
> machine and saved my butt many, many times. You have something better?
>
> "Ks" wrote:
>
> > Why use the gocrap junk?

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
BIG NIGE
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
2 things
Why not use 40gb drive as well as 120gb
If you were previously fat32 single partition with XP you must have lost 8gb
of the drive as 32gb is the max XP can use in a single partition in Fat32
!!!!!
Ks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeh, the system restore built into XP...
>
> "Frank Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It came with 2004 Norton Systemworks and besides I had 2003 GoBack on

> another
> > machine and saved my butt many, many times. You have something better?
> >
> > "Ks" wrote:
> >
> > > Why use the gocrap junk?

> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Krft
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
BIG NIGE wrote:
> 2 things
> Why not use 40gb drive as well as 120gb
> If you were previously fat32 single partition with XP you must have
> lost 8gb of the drive as 32gb is the max XP can use in a single
> partition in Fat32 !!!!!


Don't tell my other machine, it's got a 60gig & a 80gig HD on it, both hard
drives have a single FAT32 partition & both hard drives are properly/fully
used & I've just remembered this ones got a 120gig HD, one FAT32 partition
(there were reasons at the time) , fully recognised as well..

Think your information is either completely wrong or vastly out of date I'm
afraid...



 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2004
The 40gb is sick, power down unexpectly. It was under win98 and then
upgraded to xp.


"BIG NIGE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7tBRb.12043$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 2 things
> Why not use 40gb drive as well as 120gb
> If you were previously fat32 single partition with XP you must have lost

8gb
> of the drive as 32gb is the max XP can use in a single partition in Fat32
> !!!!!
> Ks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yeh, the system restore built into XP...
> >
> > "Frank Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > It came with 2004 Norton Systemworks and besides I had 2003 GoBack on

> > another
> > > machine and saved my butt many, many times. You have something better?
> > >
> > > "Ks" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Why use the gocrap junk?
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2004
can't use restore if xp don't boot but goback could.


"Ks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeh, the system restore built into XP...
>
> "Frank Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It came with 2004 Norton Systemworks and besides I had 2003 GoBack on

> another
> > machine and saved my butt many, many times. You have something better?
> >
> > "Ks" wrote:
> >
> > > Why use the gocrap junk?

> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2004
Did you disable xp's system restore?

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u7DRb.127957$Rc4.986023@attbi_s54...
> can't use restore if xp don't boot but goback could.
>
>
> "Ks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yeh, the system restore built into XP...
> >
> > "Frank Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > It came with 2004 Norton Systemworks and besides I had 2003 GoBack on

> > another
> > > machine and saved my butt many, many times. You have something better?
> > >
> > > "Ks" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Why use the gocrap junk?
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2004
Problem solved. It turn out Norton didn't like cable select jumper on the WD
hard disk and goback installed when jumper set to master only. Strange.
Didn't have this problem on my other machines but this is the only one
formatted and partitioned with WD Data Lifeguard.




"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a3vRb.36199$U%5.211965@attbi_s03...
> My 40gb disk, single partition fat 32, with windows xp home upgrade was

too
> small so it was replaced with a 120gb disk. This 120gb disk was formated
> with two 60gb partitions, basic disk (not dynamic), NTFS. I used western
> digital data lifeguard for the partition as well as transfering all the
> files including the win xp os. Pretty cool since no need to reinstall
> everything. The 40 gb was removed. So now I have one 120gb drive and one

DVD
> burner. Everything works fine except trying to install norton goback. I

have
> the following message during goback installation:
>
> "Norton GoBack is unable to determine which of your hard drives is the

boot
> drive.
> Norton GoBack cannot be installed until this problem is corrected."
>
> C partition has the win xp os and D partition is just for data. I read
> goback don't work for dynamic disk but mine is basic disk. And ideas?
>
> TIA
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Norton Goback software question, if I instll it now, can I have my computer go back to 2-3 months ago vn-mkjlopue Computer Support 7 08-23-2006 11:47 PM
Opinion on Norton GoBack or Ghost? MaryL Computer Support 28 01-07-2006 08:13 AM
Norton goback freeze shutdown sheila Computer Support 5 10-25-2005 06:44 PM
Usefulness of Norton's "GoBack" dr_dementia@excite.com Computer Support 2 03-28-2005 08:17 PM
norton goback and antivirus detect carver Computer Support 1 02-12-2004 02:23 AM



Advertisments