Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > power supply req. graphic cards

power supply req. graphic cards

david blakemore

hi,

think of buying a new graphic cards but the latest model requires:

Requires an available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy
disk drive connector is not sufficient)
- Requires 300W above power supply

What does this mean. I've opened up my pc and there is a large and
small power supply comming off the HD drive. I assume this is pretty
std stuff otherwise the cards would not sell. PC is XP2000, 512MB ram
and already have AGP 4x card.

Syphillus

"david blakemore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> hi,
>
> think of buying a new graphic cards but the latest model requires:
>
> Requires an available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy
> disk drive connector is not sufficient)
> - Requires 300W above power supply
>
> What does this mean. I've opened up my pc and there is a large and
> small power supply comming off the HD drive. I assume this is pretty
> std stuff otherwise the cards would not sell. PC is XP2000, 512MB ram
> and already have AGP 4x card.

That means it requires the larger molex power clip, like the one that powers
the HD.
Not the the tiny one that plugs into your floppy or fans for instance.
The power rating for your Power Supply should be printed on a sticker on the
unit...
If you only have one hard drive and one or two cd drives power should not be
a problem...

I would definitly suggest getting a cooling fan for the new graphics card
heat sink...
which does use a tiny dongle power clip.... remember more power more
heat....

--
Syphillus