Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > windows 98se fat32 to a windows xp ntfs

windows 98se fat32 to a windows xp ntfs

Chuck S

Can I back up windows 98se on a fat32 partition and then restore it to a
NTFS partition . Gonna do a clean install of win xp on a NTFS partition but
using Ghost I am gonna back up and then restore some files from my windows
98se fat32 afterwards .

philo

"Chuck S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Y8gRb.15439$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Can I back up windows 98se on a fat32 partition and then restore it to a
> NTFS partition . Gonna do a clean install of win xp on a NTFS partition

but
> using Ghost I am gonna back up and then restore some files from my windows
> 98se fat32 afterwards .

although win98 will *not* work on an NTFS partition
any data files you had on that partition will be perfectly good on an NTFS
partition.

using Norton's Ghost Explorer (or whatever it;s called) you should be able
just "pull" the files from it.

Chuck S

Yes .......... I was thinking that I could using Ghost just drag over My
Documents and other data files to my new xp install. I was hoping as well
that I could also do the same with my outlook express Identify folders . I
wanted to just do a full back up and then upgrade from 98 to xp and then
back up that setup then format and do a clean xp install from scratch and
then drag over my programs folder and my registry but I seem to be having
problems with the upgrading and it may be faster to just do a full clean
install and then drag over My Documents from there to atleast save those .
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Chuck S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Y8gRb.15439$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Can I back up windows 98se on a fat32 partition and then restore it to a
> > NTFS partition . Gonna do a clean install of win xp on a NTFS partition

> but
> > using Ghost I am gonna back up and then restore some files from my

windows
> > 98se fat32 afterwards .
> >

> although win98 will *not* work on an NTFS partition
> any data files you had on that partition will be perfectly good on an NTFS
> partition.
>
> using Norton's Ghost Explorer (or whatever it;s called) you should be able
> just "pull" the files from it.

Martik

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:13:48 -0500, Chuck S wrote:

> Yes .......... I was thinking that I could using Ghost just drag over My
> Documents and other data files to my new xp install.

Use explorer

I was hoping as well
> that I could also do the same with my outlook express Identify folders .

create oe folders on your backup partition and DRAG the mail headers
there.

> wanted to just do a full back up and then upgrade from 98 to xp and then
> back up that setup then format and do a clean xp install from scratch
> and then drag over my programs folder and my registry but I seem to be
> having problems with the upgrading and it may be faster to just do a
> full clean install and then drag over My Documents from there to atleast
> save those . "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Never do an update, always clean install to a freshly formated partition.
You can't drag over programs because they usually install parts
of themselves in many places - DLL's, start menu, registry etc - just
reinstall your apps. don't forget to save your IE favorites.

Consider saving all your data in a different partition than XP then you
won't have to backup when you reinstall xp.