Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Empty Folders

Empty Folders

Carol

I have several empty folders in my windows explorer. I'm running Windows XP.
When I try to delete I get an error message that the file is in use by
another program or user. The folders are empty, they do not contain any
files, so why can I not delete them??

Boomer

Carol, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have several empty folders in my windows explorer. I'm running
> Windows XP. When I try to delete I get an error message that the
> file is in use by another program or user. The folders are
> empty, they do not contain any files, so why can I not delete
> them??

More than likely Win XP is has them in 'use' becuse it wants to have
you use them.

What file folders?

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

The Hand

Next time you re-start, make deleting them as your first action.

news:40145754$0$197$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> Carol, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have several empty folders in my windows explorer. I'm running
> > Windows XP. When I try to delete I get an error message that the
> > file is in use by another program or user. The folders are
> > empty, they do not contain any files, so why can I not delete
> > them??

> More than likely Win XP is has them in 'use' becuse it wants to have
> you use them.
>
> What file folders?
>

> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

°Mike°

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

How do I delete an 'undeletable' file
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:32:03 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Carol scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

The Hand

Sorry Boomer. I obviously intended to reply to the op, but f..... it up.

"The Hand" <@the.end.of.my.arm> wrote in message
news:ZWYQb.27999$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Next time you re-start, make deleting them as your first action.
>
> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40145754$0$197$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> > Carol, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > I have several empty folders in my windows explorer. I'm running
> > > Windows XP. When I try to delete I get an error message that the
> > > file is in use by another program or user. The folders are
> > > empty, they do not contain any files, so why can I not delete
> > > them??

> > More than likely Win XP is has them in 'use' becuse it wants to have
> > you use them.
> >
> > What file folders?
> >

> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Sjolleman

"Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have several empty folders in my windows explorer. I'm running

Windows XP.
> When I try to delete I get an error message that the file is in use

by
> another program or user. The folders are empty, they do not contain

any
> files, so why can I not delete them??

How do you know that they are empty? There might be hidden files in
them.

EricP

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:32:03 -0500, "Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have several empty folders in my windows explorer. I'm running Windows XP.
>When I try to delete I get an error message that the file is in use by
>another program or user. The folders are empty, they do not contain any
>files, so why can I not delete them??

Caution.
Unless you have the switch for showing system and concealed files
turned on, the folders may not be empty.