Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > a home running system choice

a home running system choice

Thund3rstruck_N0i

Mara spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
> Can I blame it on the weather? It's freezing drizzle here, 27F.

No. It's snowing like hell here with the beginnings of freezing rain. <G>

NOI

Thund3rstruck_N0i

Steve & Chris Clark spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
proclaimed in <fISQb.1976$(E-Mail Removed)>

> Can I have your opinion?
>
> We now have two operating systems, Win98SE on the original home PC and XP
> Professional on the laptop (a pirate version and no CD)....no I'm not
> networking the two systems.
>
> Eventually I will have to purchase a new system so what do you guys think
> in
> your opinion is the most effective .. I know 98 is on the way out for
> updates etc.
>
> Should I go with XP because I quite like the professional version...?
> I've heard a lot about people not liking ME and what about 2000?
>
> go guys (especially you Mike).......and thanks in advance!
> Chris

Why not go with a legal version instead? As of 4 years ago it was a $25,000
fine/settlement fee (along with licensing all illegal copies) for M$ to
drop the charges...

Just not worth it...

NOI

°Mike°

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:52:07 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Mara scrawled:

--
A person who smiles when things go wrong knows who to blame.

Alexander Rogge

> We now have two operating systems, Win98SE on the original home PC and XP
> Professional on the laptop (a pirate version and no CD)....no I'm not
> networking the two systems.
> Eventually I will have to purchase a new system so what do you guys think in
> your opinion is the most effective ..

http://www.lycoris.com/
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/
http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/

Mara

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:11:45 -0500, Thund3rstruck_N0i wrote:

>Mara spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
><(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Can I blame it on the weather? It's freezing drizzle here, 27F.

> No. It's snowing like hell here with the beginnings of freezing rain. <G>

Does a great big guy named Arthur Itis come to visit you often?

"I know he spends a LOT of time here."

--
If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once
in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. --Rene Descartes

Steve & Chris Clark

I agree Mike.....we purchased the laptop privately and want to upgrade to a
legitimate system and that's the reason for my question.
you're right....that's my reason for updating my PC with Win98 and the
laptop along side that....
Chris

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My opinion? I don't like thieves, that's my opinion.
>

> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:06:10 -0500, in
> <fISQb.1976$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Steve & Chris Clark scrawled:
>
> >Can I have your opinion?
> >
> >We now have two operating systems, Win98SE on the original home PC and

XP
> >Professional on the laptop (a pirate version and no CD)....no I'm not
> >networking the two systems.
> >
> >Eventually I will have to purchase a new system so what do you guys think

in
> >your opinion is the most effective .. I know 98 is on the way out for
> >updates etc.
> >
> >Should I go with XP because I quite like the professional version...?

I've
> >heard a lot about people not liking ME and what about 2000?
> >
> >go guys (especially you Mike).......and thanks in advance!
> >Chris
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Steve & Chris Clark

I want to repeat that I agree with all of you. Realizing as of today that I
actually have a pirate version of XP on the laptop with an invalid product
code it is my intention to purchase legally to upgrade both systems. My
reason for asking your opinions since they are really valid opinions that
have helped me....you guys helped me with the blaster virus today and in
helping me also helped me discover that XP is a pirate copy. I love the
laptop but want a legal good system. I didn't know it was pirate until
today.
I have Mara's opinion......can I still have your's Mike?
thanks
Chris

"Alexander Rogge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40141e79$0$7350$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We now have two operating systems, Win98SE on the original home PC and

XP
> > Professional on the laptop (a pirate version and no CD)....no I'm not
> > networking the two systems.
> > Eventually I will have to purchase a new system so what do you guys

think in
> > your opinion is the most effective ..

> http://www.lycoris.com/
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/
> http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/

°Mike°

Well, I haven't used the profession version, but I can
tell you that I've had more problems with XP Home
than I ever did with Windows 98 SE. It tends to hide
errors from you -- you never know anything about
them, unless you use the Event Viewer. I don't
like not knowing what's going on. I'm sure other
people have said it, but it (XP) leaves you feeling
out of touch (or maybe control would be a better
word) with *your* system. I've no doubt that the
next implementations will take away even more
control; that can only be a bad thing.

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:40:40 -0500, in
<lRVQb.2001$(E-Mail Removed)>
Steve & Chris Clark scrawled:

>I agree Mike.....we purchased the laptop privately and want to upgrade to a
>legitimate system and that's the reason for my question.
>you're right....that's my reason for updating my PC with Win98 and the
>laptop along side that....
>Chris

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Boomer

Steve & Chris Clark, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can I have your opinion?
>
> We now have two operating systems, Win98SE on the original home
> PC and XP Professional on the laptop (a pirate version and no
> CD)....no I'm not networking the two systems.
>
> Eventually I will have to purchase a new system so what do you
> guys think in your opinion is the most effective .. I know 98
> is on the way out for updates etc.
>
> Should I go with XP because I quite like the professional
> version...? I've heard a lot about people not liking ME and
> what about 2000?
>
> go guys (especially you Mike).......and thanks in advance!
> Chris

Windows 2000 would get my vote.

Steve & Chris Clark

bingo.....I have to agree that's very much how I am feeling with XP....it
even runs a scandisk whenever it feels necessary. Where is the option to
run a scandisk if you want to yourself? I also cannot access DOS if I want
to....what's up with that?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...