Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD Rom not accessible

CD Rom not accessible

Y Korer

My CD Rom stopped working. When I tried to read a CD I got the errror
message - F:/ is not accessible Incorrect Function.
I bought and installed a new one - the Device Manager recognizes it but I
still got the same error message when I tried to use it . The drive seems to
be working mechanically and I can eject CD's from within Windows (2000) -
using my mouse.

I have an 'technician' who is looking at it. He thinks that because the
system recognizes the drive, the problem is not some loose connection or
other hardware fault. He thinks that I must have a software clash - from one
of the many programs that I have downloaded fromthe internet.

Before I let him wipe out my hard disc I would be grateful for some comments
from anyone else

With thanks

Yakov Korer

°Mike°

Your technician may very well be correct.

"Incorrect Function" Error Message When You Access the
CD-ROM Drive, DVD-ROM Drive, or CD-RW Drive
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315350

"CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the CD recording program from
Roxio Easy CD Creator is installed on the computer and the
version of the program is incompatible with Windows XP.

Easy CD Creator version 4.x and earlier versions are not
supported in Windows XP."

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:48:20 -0000, in
<4013f310$0$27805$(E-Mail Removed)>
Y Korer scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

Y Korer wrote:

> My CD Rom stopped working. When I tried to read a CD I got the errror
> message - F:/ is not accessible Incorrect Function.
> I bought and installed a new one - the Device Manager recognizes it but I
> still got the same error message when I tried to use it . The drive seems to
> be working mechanically and I can eject CD's from within Windows (2000) -
> using my mouse.
>
> I have an 'technician' who is looking at it. He thinks that because the
> system recognizes the drive, the problem is not some loose connection or
> other hardware fault. He thinks that I must have a software clash - from one
> of the many programs that I have downloaded fromthe internet.
>
> Before I let him wipe out my hard disc I would be grateful for some comments
> from anyone else

sounds correct to me.....

Try boting into DOS with a floppy (GASP!) and see if the CD can be
accessed that way. If no, then there's a hardware prob still lurking.
(BIOS setting, maybe?)

If yes, then Windows is the prob - I would normally suggest booting safe
mode and removing the CD listings from Device manager then reboot and
redetect... but I don;t know if you can do that with MS-Win2k.

Good luck, I'm pullin' for ya!

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)