Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re-Installing Windows98

Re-Installing Windows98

John

I need some basic advice on how to go about re-installing Windows98. My
machine now takes 3 minutes to boot up and there are many crashes. Would
98Se be a better option? How do I ensure all my emails are saved from OE6?
Machine is PIII 450, 13GB HDD (remove Z's from address if replying direct)

Bryan Henderson

news:V5MQb.80$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need some basic advice on how to go about re-installing Windows98. My
> machine now takes 3 minutes to boot up and there are many crashes. Would
> 98Se be a better option? How do I ensure all my emails are saved from OE6?
> Machine is PIII 450, 13GB HDD (remove Z's from address if replying direct)
>
> -

e-mail are stored in files that end .dbx so if you back up all the files on
your computer called *.dbx having done a search in find files or folders. It
is possible to reinstall them as well. I suggest you do a Google search on
how to do that as there are a few steps involved.

The best way to reinstall Windows is first to back up everything you want to
keep including your IE favourites and e-mail. Then you have to format your
hard disk to erase all the data. You need a Windows startup disk to do this.
Then reinstall Windows. Win 98SE is one of the better incarnations of
Windows. It has USB support for example and is fairly stable. Better than
Win ME from what I hear. A Google search will give you loads of info on that
as well. I still use Win 98 SE on both my PCs even though the hardware has
been vastly upgraded. XP won't be good on your PC but is very good with the
right hardware I'm told.

Windows apparently needs to reinstalled about once a year and as your PC is
4 years old approx you haven't done it for a while perhaps. Have you thought
about upgrading your hardware? You could get a much more powerful new or
used PC for not very much these days and network the two together. This has
many advantages. HTH.

Sano

98SE is a good option. But you'd have to purchase it, it's not a free
upgrade, or anything. <g>

- "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> - spluttered in
news:V5MQb.80$(E-Mail Removed):