Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > User not showing up on XP-Pro login screen

User not showing up on XP-Pro login screen

American Pi

For security purposes, I created a non-Admin login for everyday use for
myself. Problem is, I can't get it to show up on the NT welcome screen.
"Administrator" and "Guest" appear, but not the User account that I'm
struggling with.

I looked in the registry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin
\SpecialAccounts\UserList and it doesn't show up there, though I see
Administrator there.

I tried following instructions in the MS knowledge base, right-clicking on
My Computer and selecting Manage in the context menu, and then Users.
However, I found my user account there, and it was not checked as disabled.

Thanks.

Robert

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:05:02 GMT, American Pi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For security purposes, I created a non-Admin login for everyday use for
>myself. Problem is, I can't get it to show up on the NT welcome screen.
>"Administrator" and "Guest" appear, but not the User account that I'm
>struggling with.
>
>I looked in the registry at
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin
>\SpecialAccounts\UserList and it doesn't show up there, though I see
>Administrator there.
>

>I tried following instructions in the MS knowledge base, right-clicking on
>My Computer and selecting Manage in the context menu, and then Users.
>However, I found my user account there, and it was not checked as disabled.
>
>Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks.

I had the same problem , I rebooted in safe mode and created a user.
All your ssettings will need tweaking though............

Unk

See if this helps:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...esscontrol.asp

Also TweakUI XP, Logon tab.
Check the box, "Show {username} on Welcome Screen", Apply, OK
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:05:02 GMT, American Pi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For security purposes, I created a non-Admin login for everyday use for
>myself. Problem is, I can't get it to show up on the NT welcome screen.
>"Administrator" and "Guest" appear, but not the User account that I'm
>struggling with.
>
>I looked in the registry at
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin
>\SpecialAccounts\UserList and it doesn't show up there, though I see
>Administrator there.
>

>I tried following instructions in the MS knowledge base, right-clicking on
>My Computer and selecting Manage in the context menu, and then Users.
>However, I found my user account there, and it was not checked as disabled.
>
>Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks.

Liz

"American Pi" wrote
> For security purposes, I created a non-Admin login for everyday use for
> myself. Problem is, I can't get it to show up on the NT welcome screen.
> "Administrator" and "Guest" appear, but not the User account that I'm
> struggling with.
>
> I looked in the registry at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin
> \SpecialAccounts\UserList and it doesn't show up there, though I see
> Administrator there.

Open your registry and go back to system key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

In the right pane, right-click and choose New, create a new
DWORD value named after the username and set the value to 1.

Restart Windows for the change to take effect. See if this helps.

American Pi

Thanks. I tried this and the new account thus created still doesn't show
up. I also tried tweaking via Tweak UI with no luck, and reviewed the
urls provided in other posts.

What am I missing?

"Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:HkJQb.13986$(E-Mail Removed):

> "American Pi" wrote
>> For security purposes, I created a non-Admin login for everyday use
>> for myself. Problem is, I can't get it to show up on the NT welcome
>> screen. "Administrator" and "Guest" appear, but not the User account
>> that I'm struggling with.
>>
>> I looked in the registry at
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows
>> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin \SpecialAccounts\UserList and it doesn't
>> show up there, though I see Administrator there.

> Open your registry and go back to system key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
> CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
>
> In the right pane, right-click and choose New, create a new
> DWORD value named after the username and set the value to 1.
>
> Restart Windows for the change to take effect. See if this helps.

Liz

See if this helps.
Re-establish user account
http://tinyurl.com/32j2u

"American Pi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Thanks. I tried this and the new account thus created still doesn't show
> up. I also tried tweaking via Tweak UI with no luck, and reviewed the
> urls provided in other posts.
>
> What am I missing?
>

> "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:HkJQb.13986$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > "American Pi" wrote
> >> For security purposes, I created a non-Admin login for everyday use
> >> for myself. Problem is, I can't get it to show up on the NT welcome
> >> screen. "Administrator" and "Guest" appear, but not the User account
> >> that I'm struggling with.
> >>
> >> I looked in the registry at
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> >> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin \SpecialAccounts\UserList and it doesn't
> >> show up there, though I see Administrator there.

> > Open your registry and go back to system key:
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
> > CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
> >
> > In the right pane, right-click and choose New, create a new
> > DWORD value named after the username and set the value to 1.
> >
> > Restart Windows for the change to take effect. See if this helps.

American Pi

"Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:T0TQb.79558$Su5.59997
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> http://tinyurl.com/32j2u

I tried the command line specified on the above page and received a message
indicating that it was accomplished successfully. However, the user name
still does not appear on the login screen, even after rebooting. I see no
change in the registry SpecialAccounts/UserList line in the registry.

This seems to be one of those features of WinXP that gives many people
difficulties, or perhaps I'm over-generalizing from the postings I've seen.

I'm open to trying any more suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks.