Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Logical drive

Logical drive

John Bahran

I want to install Win 98 on logical drive D: . My C: drive does not
have room. There is no other OS anywhere on the system.Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks.

philo

"John Bahran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I want to install Win 98 on logical drive D: . My C: drive does not
> have room. There is no other OS anywhere on the system.Any help would
> be appreciated. Thanks.

You *can* install win98 on your D: drive
just specify that during setup ...when you are asked where you want to
install windows...

just note that the boot files will have to be installed on your primary
partition C:
....but they will only require a meg or so

pcbutts1

That is not correct with win98. That is correct with win2000 or higher.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Bahran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I want to install Win 98 on logical drive D: . My C: drive does not
> > have room. There is no other OS anywhere on the system.Any help would
> > be appreciated. Thanks.

> You *can* install win98 on your D: drive
> just specify that during setup ...when you are asked where you want to
> install windows...
>
> just note that the boot files will have to be installed on your primary
> partition C:
> ...but they will only require a meg or so

pcbutts1

You can't not without 3rd party software like Partition magic.

"John Bahran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I want to install Win 98 on logical drive D: . My C: drive does not
> have room. There is no other OS anywhere on the system.Any help would
> be appreciated. Thanks.

philo

news:87AQb.25057$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> That is not correct with win98. That is correct with win2000 or higher.

No...
you *can* install any version of windows on a logical drive

but as i posted...it will still have to *boot* off the primary partition

msdos.sys , io.sys and command.com will have to be written to the primary
partition, but the rest of windows *can* be installed on the D: drive

I assure you I have done it.

The installer will merely ask if you want to install windows in C:\windows

but you *can* specify D:\windows or whatever you want.

John Bahran

Thank you for your input, but win98 will never ask me where I want to install it.