Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Power Supply Failing? --Co-Worker's PC

Power Supply Failing? --Co-Worker's PC

Thip

Sorry in advance for the lack of details, but all I can supply is what he's
given me. It's a 2-year-old Compaq running XP Home, with (he thinks) 256 MB
RAM, and it most likely has an Intel 815 Integrated Graphics card. All
hardware is original--nothing added or changed. The machine is spontaneously
rebooting at random. Compaq had him reload the OS. I've had him run virus
scans (one online, one offline), download and run Ad-Aware (90 files found
and deleted), and then dismantle the PC to the best of his ability and clean
the bejesus out of the insides. It will run up to 7 hours; nothing seems to
trigger the reboots--they just happen whenever, and I honestly think his PSU
is failing. I don't want to suggest that until I've exhausted every other
option. I would be very grateful for all suggestions and opinions anyone
cares to offer.

Sultan

Thip wrote in news:buu7ns$luluv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Sorry in advance for the lack of details, but all I can supply is what
> he's given me. It's a 2-year-old Compaq running XP Home, with (he
> thinks) 256 MB RAM, and it most likely has an Intel 815 Integrated
> Graphics card. All hardware is original--nothing added or changed.
> The machine is spontaneously rebooting at random. Compaq had him
> reload the OS. I've had him run virus scans (one online, one
> offline), download and run Ad-Aware (90 files found and deleted), and
> then dismantle the PC to the best of his ability and clean the bejesus
> out of the insides. It will run up to 7 hours; nothing seems to
> trigger the reboots--they just happen whenever, and I honestly think
> his PSU is failing. I don't want to suggest that until I've exhausted
> every other option. I would be very grateful for all suggestions and
> opinions anyone cares to offer.

It could be any number of things. He might be best off to bring it in to
a repair shop for a complete diagnostics, unless he has spare Ram, PS etc
to swap out on his own.

Sultan

°Mike°

Check for overheating and bad RAM.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:49:50 -0500, in
<buu7ns$luluv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Thip scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

gtg

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check for overheating and bad RAM.

yes, possibly mobo too

Thip

"Thip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buu7ns$luluv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Sorry in advance for the lack of details, but all I can supply is what

he's
> given me. It's a 2-year-old Compaq running XP Home, with (he thinks) 256

MB
> RAM, and it most likely has an Intel 815 Integrated Graphics card. All
> hardware is original--nothing added or changed. The machine is

spontaneously
> rebooting at random. Compaq had him reload the OS. I've had him run

virus
> scans (one online, one offline), download and run Ad-Aware (90 files found
> and deleted), and then dismantle the PC to the best of his ability and

clean
> the bejesus out of the insides. It will run up to 7 hours; nothing seems

> trigger the reboots--they just happen whenever, and I honestly think his

PSU
> is failing. I don't want to suggest that until I've exhausted every other
> option. I would be very grateful for all suggestions and opinions anyone
> cares to offer.

Thanks, guys.