Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem: XP Home Logon Names Vanish - Cant Logon

Problem: XP Home Logon Names Vanish - Cant Logon

Graham

Hey peeps

Swift responses to this post are much appreciated - Im going to help someone
(at about 4pm GMT) with their computer that is behaving like this and
formatting is really not on option

Basically when the laptop boots (its a hp is all i know atm) it hangs on the
windows login screen, the XP logo is an inch or two from the right border of
the screen - where it would be normally if names were listed in what is a
blank (blue) space. Im guessing corrupt registry / registry HDD sectors. Any
idea how I can fix this problem if it is the case? It gets worse btw... her
OS is not in english so I need to know which Option says "command prompt
only" (i.e. the Xth option down when you press F5/8?).

Her laptop is still under warranty and she has a license key etc. But the
help desk are just gonna say "Insert the system restore disk" which the
manual says includes a (partition) format

And no... its not a customer... its my gf lmao.