Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Formatting a cd - need help

Formatting a cd - need help

Jane Sarles

Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my computer" and then
right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to format . XP hel says
that the "format" option should appear when I right click on the D drive
icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I format a cdrw with XP?

Jane S.

Jay

"Jane Sarles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my computer" and

then
> right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to format . XP hel

says
> that the "format" option should appear when I right click on the D drive
> icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I format a cdrw with XP?
>
> Jane S.

Is there a disk in the drive?
Is the disk already formatted?
Is the disk a never-used brand new shiny one?

Jay

Jane Sarles

It is a brand new shiny one. Unformatted, as far as I can tell.

Jane

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9jmQb.21824$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jane Sarles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my computer" and

> then
> > right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to format . XP hel

> says
> > that the "format" option should appear when I right click on the D drive
> > icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I format a cdrw with XP?
> >
> > Jane S.

> Is there a disk in the drive?
> Is the disk already formatted?
> Is the disk a never-used brand new shiny one?
>
> Jay

Billy

Is it a CDR or a CDRW? CDR does not need to be formatted first.

"Jane Sarles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newssmQb.106377$Rc4.756005@attbi_s54...
> It is a brand new shiny one. Unformatted, as far as I can tell.
>
> Jane
>
> "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9jmQb.21824$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Jane Sarles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my

computer" and
> > then
> > > right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to format .

XP hel
> > says
> > > that the "format" option should appear when I right click on the D

drive
> > > icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I format a cdrw with XP?
> > >
> > > Jane S.

> > Is there a disk in the drive?
> > Is the disk already formatted?
> > Is the disk a never-used brand new shiny one?
> >
> > Jay

toyalP2

You need a program to do that, XP will no do it, there's a program
called B's CD Formater, I don't know where you can get it, mine came
with the CD for my Sony CDRW drive.
There was another one called Prassi but I don't know if it will work
with XP, It worked great for me when I had 98, once the CDs were
formated you could do drag and drop of files without going trough all
the stupid XP procedures for copying.
But I must warn you, it's not compatible with XP, what I mean to say is
that XP will not read or write to CDs formated that way.
Maybe someone can help you more on this.
Good luck!

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 04:02:35 GMT, "Jane Sarles"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my computer" and then
>right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to format . XP hel says
>that the "format" option should appear when I right click on the D drive
>icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I format a cdrw with XP?
>
>Jane S.

-= Hawk =-

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 04:24:53 GMT, "Jane Sarles"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>It is a brand new shiny one. Unformatted, as far as I can tell.

Are you sure it's a REWritable disc and not just a CDR?

>"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:9jmQb.21824$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jane Sarles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my computer" and

>> then
>> > right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to format . XP hel

>> says
>> > that the "format" option should appear when I right click on the D drive
>> > icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I format a cdrw with XP?
>> >
>> > Jane S.

>> Is there a disk in the drive?
>> Is the disk already formatted?
>> Is the disk a never-used brand new shiny one?
>>
>> Jay

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Patrick

Jane Sarles wrote:
> Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my computer"
> and then right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to
> format . XP hel says that the "format" option should appear when I
> right click on the D drive icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I
> format a cdrw with XP?
>
> Jane S.

I don't think that XP help told you that it (XP) could format a CDR or CDRW
!
In fact, useing the XP burning software requires NO formatting, niether
would a 'formatted' CDR or CDRW be acceptable to XP's inbuilt burning
software.

Formatting a CDR/CDRW is only done when useing 'packet writing' software
(InCD or DirectCD) that usually comes bundled with dedicated burner programs
such as from Nero or Roxio

Anyways, have a look at this page;
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm