Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do some sites re-set your home page?

How do some sites re-set your home page?

Marilee

I was looking for some music lyrics today and one of those pesky pop-ups
popped up. This particular one was notifying me that I was being tracked,
that my IP address was such-and-such (wrong, at that), that my location was
such-and-such (extremely far off), and my cd drive 'spontaneously' opened.

I tried to close that browser window, but the site kept reloading and the cd
drive tray kept opening.

I closed ~all~ browser windows and re-opened IE. Instead of my previously
selected home page, that pesky site had made itself my home page. (I have
re-set it back to where it was before.)

How do sites/pop-ups do this? (I don't *think* I clicked on anything but
the 'X' in the corner.)

Marilee

Harrison

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/aup/int...nnoyances.html

Also see http://www.nevadapcs.com/scripts.htm

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:19:50 -0600, "Marilee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was looking for some music lyrics today and one of those pesky pop-ups
>popped up. This particular one was notifying me that I was being tracked,
>that my IP address was such-and-such (wrong, at that), that my location was
>such-and-such (extremely far off), and my cd drive 'spontaneously' opened.
>
>I tried to close that browser window, but the site kept reloading and the cd
>drive tray kept opening.
>
>I closed ~all~ browser windows and re-opened IE. Instead of my previously
>selected home page, that pesky site had made itself my home page. (I have
>re-set it back to where it was before.)
>
>How do sites/pop-ups do this? (I don't *think* I clicked on anything but
>the 'X' in the corner.)
>
>Marilee

Kráftéé

Marilee wrote:
> I was looking for some music lyrics today and one of those pesky
> pop-ups popped up. This particular one was notifying me that I was
> being tracked, that my IP address was such-and-such (wrong, at
> that), that my location was such-and-such (extremely far off), and
> my cd drive 'spontaneously' opened.
>
> I tried to close that browser window, but the site kept reloading
> and the cd drive tray kept opening.
>
> I closed ~all~ browser windows and re-opened IE. Instead of my
> previously selected home page, that pesky site had made itself my
> home page. (I have re-set it back to where it was before.)
>
> How do sites/pop-ups do this? (I don't *think* I clicked on
> anything but the 'X' in the corner.)

It's just one of the many built in features that MS knows about but are
loath to actually do anything about.

I would suggest you download & use one or more of these programs... Ad
aware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy & possibly Hijack this (the
last one being particularly good for finding out exactly what is running in
the background)...

David Precious

Marilee wrote:

> How do sites/pop-ups do this?**(I*don't*think*I*clicked*on*anything*but
> the 'X' in the corner.)

I'd say the best way to avoid problems like this is to ditch IE and use a
better browser. Mozilla Firebird is a damn fine browser
(http://www.mozilla.org/)

HTH

Dave P

--
David Precious
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

Blinky the Shark

Kráftéé wrote:
> Marilee wrote:
>> I was looking for some music lyrics today and one of those pesky
>> pop-ups popped up. This particular one was notifying me that I was
>> being tracked, that my IP address was such-and-such (wrong, at
>> that), that my location was such-and-such (extremely far off), and
>> my cd drive 'spontaneously' opened.

>> I tried to close that browser window, but the site kept reloading
>> and the cd drive tray kept opening.

>> I closed ~all~ browser windows and re-opened IE. Instead of my
>> previously selected home page, that pesky site had made itself my
>> home page. (I have re-set it back to where it was before.)

>> How do sites/pop-ups do this? (I don't *think* I clicked on
>> anything but the 'X' in the corner.)

> It's just one of the many built in features that MS knows about but are
> loath to actually do anything about.

> I would suggest you download & use one or more of these programs... Ad
> aware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy & possibly Hijack this (the
> last one being particularly good for finding out exactly what is running in
> the background)...

You forgot to put Mozilla on the list.

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
Happily slrning again.

Marilee

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Kráftéé wrote:
> > Marilee wrote:
> >> I was looking for some music lyrics today and one of those pesky
> >> pop-ups popped up. This particular one was notifying me that I was
> >> being tracked, that my IP address was such-and-such (wrong, at
> >> that), that my location was such-and-such (extremely far off), and
> >> my cd drive 'spontaneously' opened.

> >> I tried to close that browser window, but the site kept reloading
> >> and the cd drive tray kept opening.

> >> I closed ~all~ browser windows and re-opened IE. Instead of my
> >> previously selected home page, that pesky site had made itself my
> >> home page. (I have re-set it back to where it was before.)

> >> How do sites/pop-ups do this? (I don't *think* I clicked on
> >> anything but the 'X' in the corner.)

> > It's just one of the many built in features that MS knows about but are
> > loath to actually do anything about.

> > I would suggest you download & use one or more of these programs... Ad
> > aware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy & possibly Hijack this

(the
> > last one being particularly good for finding out exactly what is running

in
> > the background)...

> You forgot to put Mozilla on the list.

Unfortunately, this is my work computer. I am not allowed to download and
install ~anything~ without express permission. Otherwise I'd use Mozilla,
Google toolbar, etc., etc.

Marilee

> --
> Blinky Linux RU 4892F
> Happily slrning again.

trout

Marilee wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Kráftéé wrote:

>>> It's just one of the many built in features that MS knows about but
>>> are loath to actually do anything about.

>>> I would suggest you download & use one or more of these programs...
>>> Ad aware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy & possibly
>>> Hijack this (the last one being particularly good for finding out
>>> exactly what is running in the background)...

>> You forgot to put Mozilla on the list.

> Unfortunately, this is my work computer. I am not allowed to
> download and install ~anything~ without express permission.
> Otherwise I'd use Mozilla, Google toolbar, etc., etc.
>
> Marilee

Are you allowed to alter the browser settings? If so; you could go
to the Security tab in Internet Options. Click the "Custom" button
there, and look over the options. You may want to choose a custom
setting for
ActiveX controls and plug-ins.
Needless to say, never click *anywhere* on a pop-up. Try the 'Esc'
key, first. Sometimes, the name of the pop-up is on the taskbar, and you
can right-click and 'Close'. But if you're otherwise defenseless; better
to just leave the site.
Note also; that sometimes a home-page change is just a *symptom* of
something that you've accidentally downloaded, and will recur if the
real problem isn't fixed.
I'd ask the boss for permission for, at *least*, the Google toolbar.
--
"Isn't 'searching for things' work-related?"