Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > A few XP-related questions

A few XP-related questions

gangle

I am attempting to tweak some things on a neighbor's
new eMachine (arrgh) with XP. My knowledge
of XP was only conceptual, so I was slow to get anything
done due to trying to do what I am used to doing using Win98.
XP is definitely very stable, but my theory that it is an OS
designed to visually excite senseless cretins and/or very
young children has been confirmed. I managed to get the
"classic" look for the actual windows, but the START menu
is still seroisly doltish. So, here are some questions:

1--Can the START menu itself be made to look like
"classic" Windows?

2a--How does one access File Types to allow Icon or
program asscociation changes for a file type?

2b--Is there a way to change the hideous, kiddy cartoon
XP icons that appear within IE windows, OE toolbar,
the Start menu, etc.?

3--I tried repeatedly to drag the taskbar from the bottom
to the right side, but it would not move. What's the story
with that? -- has M$ decided the bottom is the only
way to go?

4--There didn't seem to be any "Favorites" in the START menu
(my memory could be faulty on this). Where is the
"Favorites" folder itself -- still in Windows?

5--Whenever OE is opened, an MS Messenger icon appears
in the task bar. Is there a way to end that once and for all?
(Rt. click menu didn't let it happen.)

6--Since there is no DOS, is it possible to somehow ping
a server or an IP address?

7--Without DOS, how does one rename a file type; e.g.,
change "eatshit.ram" to "eatshit.rm"?

Any answers to the above would save me a lot of time 4 days
from now when I go back to do some more tweaking.
**** you in advance.

joevan

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 05:39:32 -0800, "gangle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am attempting to tweak some things on a neighbor's
>new eMachine (arrgh) with XP. My knowledge
>of XP was only conceptual, so I was slow to get anything
>done due to trying to do what I am used to doing using Win98.
>XP is definitely very stable, but my theory that it is an OS
>designed to visually excite senseless cretins and/or very
>young children has been confirmed. I managed to get the
>"classic" look for the actual windows, but the START menu
>is still seroisly doltish. So, here are some questions:
>
>1--Can the START menu itself be made to look like
> "classic" Windows?

Yes

>2a--How does one access File Types to allow Icon or
> program asscociation changes for a file type?

Tools, folder options

?

>3--I tried repeatedly to drag the taskbar from the bottom
> to the right side, but it would not move. What's the story
> with that? -- has M$ decided the bottom is the only
> way to go?

Cursor on the far right side, drag it up.

>4--There didn't seem to be any "Favorites" in the START menu
> (my memory could be faulty on this). Where is the
> "Favorites" folder itself -- still in Windows?

Win explorer, Documents and settings, user name ---

>5--Whenever OE is opened, an MS Messenger icon appears
> in the task bar. Is there a way to end that once and for all?
> (Rt. click menu didn't let it happen.)

Shoot the messenger, Gibson Research may help. I use MS Messenger
only when I want to. It does not open with OE.

>6--Since there is no DOS, is it possible to somehow ping
> a server or an IP address?

Command prompt

>7--Without DOS, how does one rename a file type; e.g.,
> change "eatshit.ram" to "eatshit.rm"?

Highlight the file and you should be able to change it.

>Any answers to the above would save me a lot of time 4 days
>from now when I go back to do some more tweaking.
>**** you in advance.

Harrison

wrote:

>I am attempting to tweak some things on a neighbor's
>new eMachine (arrgh) with XP. My knowledge
>of XP was only conceptual, so I was slow to get anything
>done due to trying to do what I am used to doing using Win98.
>XP is definitely very stable, but my theory that it is an OS
>designed to visually excite senseless cretins and/or very
>young children has been confirmed. I managed to get the
>"classic" look for the actual windows, but the START menu
>is still seroisly doltish. So, here are some questions:
>
>1--Can the START menu itself be made to look like
> "classic" Windows?

Right click the Start Button - Properties.

>2a--How does one access File Types to allow Icon or
> program asscociation changes for a file type?

From Explorer - Tools>Folder Options/ View Tab

>2b--Is there a way to change the hideous, kiddy cartoon
> XP icons that appear within IE windows, OE toolbar,
> the Start menu, etc.?

Try the Windows Classic theme?

>3--I tried repeatedly to drag the taskbar from the bottom
> to the right side, but it would not move. What's the story
> with that? -- has M$ decided the bottom is the only
> way to go?

Right click the taskbar - Unlock

>4--There didn't seem to be any "Favorites" in the START menu
> (my memory could be faulty on this). Where is the
> "Favorites" folder itself -- still in Windows?

You can add it under the options from ...Right click the Start Button
- Properties.
It resides at C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Favorites, as do all
user specific files.

http://www.updatexp.com/disable-messenger-msn.html

>6--Since there is no DOS, is it possible to somehow ping
> a server or an IP address?

Start>Run> command brings up a DOS prompt.

>7--Without DOS, how does one rename a file type; e.g.,
> change "eatshit.ram" to "eatshit.rm"?

Right click the file, choose rename.
Damn! You've never used Windows???

>Any answers to the above would save me a lot of time 4 days
>from now when I go back to do some more tweaking.
>**** you in advance.

**** you too! And have a great day!

Other things to do.
Enable the built-in firewall on the Internet connection.
Disable the Windows Messenger Service.
Run Windows Update and apply all critical updates.

Other resources:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp...es/index.shtml
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

gangle

<Harrison> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 05:39:32 -0800, "gangle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I am attempting to tweak some things on a neighbor's
> >new eMachine (arrgh) with XP. My knowledge
> >of XP was only conceptual, so I was slow to get anything
> >done due to trying to do what I am used to doing using Win98.
> >XP is definitely very stable, but my theory that it is an OS
> >designed to visually excite senseless cretins and/or very
> >young children has been confirmed. I managed to get the
> >"classic" look for the actual windows, but the START menu
> >is still seroisly doltish. So, here are some questions:

> >1--Can the START menu itself be made to look like
> > "classic" Windows?

> Right click the Start Button - Properties.

> >2a--How does one access File Types to allow Icon or
> > program asscociation changes for a file type?

> From Explorer - Tools>Folder Options/ View Tab

> >2b--Is there a way to change the hideous, kiddy cartoon
> > XP icons that appear within IE windows, OE toolbar,
> > the Start menu, etc.?

> Try the Windows Classic theme?

That's what I did, but the button icons remain XP.

> >3--I tried repeatedly to drag the taskbar from the bottom
> > to the right side, but it would not move. What's the story
> > with that? -- has M$ decided the bottom is the only
> > way to go?

> Right click the taskbar - Unlock

> >4--There didn't seem to be any "Favorites" in the START menu
> > (my memory could be faulty on this). Where is the
> > "Favorites" folder itself -- still in Windows?

> You can add it under the options from ...Right click the Start Button
> - Properties.
> It resides at C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Favorites, as do all
> user specific files.
>
> >5--Whenever OE is opened, an MS Messenger icon appears
> > in the task bar. Is there a way to end that once and for all?
> > (Rt. click menu didn't let it happen.)

> http://www.updatexp.com/disable-messenger-msn.html
>
> >6--Since there is no DOS, is it possible to somehow ping
> > a server or an IP address?

> Start>Run> command brings up a DOS prompt.
>

> >7--Without DOS, how does one rename a file type; e.g.,
> > change "eatshit.ram" to "eatshit.rm"?

> Right click the file, choose rename.
> Damn! You've never used Windows???

Thanks for all this, but I wrote FILE TYPE, not file name.
After the first time a file name is opened on "regular"
windows, you cannot change the file EXTENSION to a
a new type without using "ren" in DOS. Since there is
still, it turns out, a command prompt in XP, and some sort of
rudimentary DOS function, I suppose such a "ren" is still
possible.

> >Any answers to the above would save me a lot of time 4 days
> >from now when I go back to do some more tweaking.
> >**** you in advance.

> **** you too! And have a great day!
>
> Other things to do.
> Enable the built-in firewall on the Internet connection.
> Disable the Windows Messenger Service.
> Run Windows Update and apply all critical updates.
>
> Other resources:
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm
> http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp...es/index.shtml
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Harrison

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:44:45 -0800, "gangle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><Harrison> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 05:39:32 -0800, "gangle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

<snip>

>> >2b--Is there a way to change the hideous, kiddy cartoon
>> > XP icons that appear within IE windows, OE toolbar,
>> > the Start menu, etc.?

>> Try the Windows Classic theme?

>That's what I did, but the button icons remain XP.

No. Use the Windows Classic Theme from the display properties menu.
Right click Desktop> Properties> Choose a Theme
The button will change to the classic style.

<snip>

>Thanks for all this, but I wrote FILE TYPE, not file name.
>After the first time a file name is opened on "regular"
>windows, you cannot change the file EXTENSION to a
>a new type without using "ren" in DOS. Since there is
>still, it turns out, a command prompt in XP, and some sort of
>rudimentary DOS function, I suppose such a "ren" is still
>possible.

You can reassociate/add/remove file types on the file types tab from
<Tools><Folder Options> |File Types|
Sorry I misunderstood the first time.

Paul - xxx

gangle posted ...

> Any answers to the above would save me a lot of time 4 days
> from now when I go back to do some more tweaking.

Most of your questions appear to have been answered, but one fairly simple
tweak that does a _lot_ of good for both performance and for using XP on a
slower computer, or a laptop, is to 'downgrade' the eye candy.

On the Desktop, Right click 'My Computer' - Properties - Advanced tab -
Performance box - Settings - Visual Effects - Check 'Adjust for best
perdormance'

To further tweak the various different window visuals, 'Custom' allows a
fair bit of control ..

There should be a 'Command Prompt' that you can use dos commands from on
Start - All programs - Accessories .. I dunno how limited or extensive the
dos command coverage is as I've never really needed it in XP.

While you're in My Computer Properties you also might want to have a look at
the 'Remote' , Automatic Updates' and 'System Restore' tabs. The standard
setup, as I recall, is more what Microsoft want most people to do, rather
than what most people want to do, and can make a difference to the
performance of the copmputer, especially if on a dial-up or low bandwidth
connection.

**** you three ..

--
Paul

Senti

gangle did mumble http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am attempting to tweak some things on a neighbor's
> new eMachine (arrgh) with XP. My knowledge
> of XP was only conceptual, so I was slow to get anything
> done due to trying to do what I am used to doing using Win98.
> XP is definitely very stable, but my theory that it is an OS
> designed to visually excite senseless cretins and/or very
> young children has been confirmed. I managed to get the
> "classic" look for the actual windows, but the START menu
> is still seroisly doltish. So, here are some questions:
>
> 1--Can the START menu itself be made to look like
> "classic" Windows?

Right click the Start button, Properties, Start Menu tab, Classic Start Menu

> 2a--How does one access File Types to allow Icon or
> program asscociation changes for a file type?

Open My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types tab

> 2b--Is there a way to change the hideous, kiddy cartoon
> XP icons that appear within IE windows, OE toolbar,
> the Start menu, etc.?

Not sure.. but you can make them smaller

> 3--I tried repeatedly to drag the taskbar from the bottom
> to the right side, but it would not move. What's the story
> with that? -- has M$ decided the bottom is the only
> way to go?

Right-click on the taskbar and unlock it. Then you should be able to drag
it around by the nipple

> 4--There didn't seem to be any "Favorites" in the START menu
> (my memory could be faulty on this). Where is the
> "Favorites" folder itself -- still in Windows?

C:\Documents and Settings\{username or All Users}\Favorites

> 5--Whenever OE is opened, an MS Messenger icon appears
> in the task bar. Is there a way to end that once and for all?
> (Rt. click menu didn't let it happen.)

http://www.theeldergeek.com/prevent_...ok_express.htm
or TinyURL:
http://tinyurl.com/27qqr

> 6--Since there is no DOS, is it possible to somehow ping
> a server or an IP address?

Start>Run>type cmd and hit enter. Use Ping normally. Type Exit to close
command window...

> 7--Without DOS, how does one rename a file type; e.g.,
> change "eatshit.ram" to "eatshit.rm"?

My Computer and navigate to file.
Right-click and choose rename -OR-
Double-click *slowly* on the filename and type it in there. -OR-
Start>Run>type cmd and hit enter> navigate to file>use Ren command.

You're ****ome
--
~SF~
Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternatives. -Maurice

Senti

gangle did mumble (E-Mail Removed)...

> <Harrison> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 05:39:32 -0800, "gangle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

> Thanks for all this, but I wrote FILE TYPE, not file name.
> After the first time a file name is opened on "regular"
> windows, you cannot change the file EXTENSION to a
> a new type without using "ren" in DOS. Since there is
> still, it turns out, a command prompt in XP, and some sort of
> rudimentary DOS function, I suppose such a "ren" is still
> possible.

If you want to rename the extension from inside XP open Windows Explorer,
Tools, Folder Options, View tab and uncheck Hide extensions for known file
types

>> Other things to do.
>> Enable the built-in firewall on the Internet connection.
>> Disable the Windows Messenger Service.
>> Run Windows Update and apply all critical updates.
>>
>> Other resources:
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm
>> http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp...es/index.shtml
>> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Also check out Black Vipers Service configurtions at
~SF~
Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternatives. -Maurice
Chevalier

Senti

gangle did mumble (E-Mail Removed)...

> I am attempting to tweak some things on a neighbor's

> Any answers to the above would save me a lot of time 4 days
> from now when I go back to do some more tweaking.
> **** you in advance.

Oh yeah... and some more tweaking links. There's an over abundance on
Google, of course... but this two seem to have most of what you can find
online...

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=120

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=145
--
~SF~
In the beginning Man created God; and in the image of Man created he

Liz

"gangle" wrote:
> 1--Can the START menu itself be made to look like
> "classic" Windows?

Yes. Right-click on START> choose PROPERTIES>
Start Menu tab, click the Classic Start menu check box.

gangle going retro: reverting to earlier Windows interface,
you need to change one more setting.

In Display Properties, click the Themes tab, in the
Theme box, select "Windows Classic".

> 2a--How does one access File Types to allow Icon or
> program asscociation changes for a file type?

Double-click My Computer> Tools> Folder Options>
click the File Types tab.

By the way, to change Icon from Desktop, go to Display properties,
Desktop tab, click the Customized desktop button.

> 3--I tried repeatedly to drag the taskbar from the bottom
> to the right side, but it would not move. What's the story
> with that? -- has M$ decided the bottom is the only
> way to go?

Right-click the Taskbar, make sure "Lock the Taskbar" is unchecked.

> 4--There didn't seem to be any "Favorites" in the START menu
> (my memory could be faulty on this). Where is the
> "Favorites" folder itself -- still in Windows?

Right-click the TASKBAR> Properties> Start Menu tab>
Customize button> Advanced tab> select Favorites under Start Menu Items.
If you are using the Classic Start menu, click "Display Favorites"
in the Advanced Start Menu Options list.

> 5--Whenever OE is opened, an MS Messenger icon appears
> in the task bar. Is there a way to end that once and for all?
> (Rt. click menu didn't let it happen.)

In Outlook Express, go to TOOLS> OPTIONS> General tab,
uncheck "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger".

In the Preferences tab of Messenger's Options dialog box,
clear the "Allow this program to run in the background" check box.

> 6--Since there is no DOS, is it possible to somehow ping
> a server or an IP address?

To start a DOS window, go to Start> Run> type => cmd

If you use the -t switch, ping will continue to run until it is interrupted
by pressing CTRL-C. Here is the syntax: ping -t x.x.x.x

My pleasure in advance.