Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell system require special RAM? Dimension 4100

Dell system require special RAM? Dimension 4100

lbbs

I have a dell p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k. Does my
system require proprietary ram? or can I just order something from future
shop?

Edward J. Neth

It needs low-density RAM, but it's not proprietary.

"lbbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a dell p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k. Does my
> system require proprietary ram? or can I just order something from future
> shop?

Harrison

www.crucial.com

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:06:21 -0500, "lbbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a dell p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k. Does my
>system require proprietary ram? or can I just order something from future
>shop?

lbbs

someone told me that a non dell memory will not physically fit in the slot
of a dell dimension computer.
Also, how do you know if ram is low or high density (would the specs mention
the density?).

"lbbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a dell p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k. Does my
> system require proprietary ram? or can I just order something from future
> shop?

ICee

lbbs wrote:
> someone told me that a non dell memory will not physically fit in the
> slot of a dell dimension computer.

Rubbish.

> Also, how do you know if ram is low or high density (would the specs
> mention the density?).

Just use the memory selector at Crucial. It will tell you what type
memory to use.
www.crucial.com

> "lbbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a dell p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k. Does
>> my system require proprietary ram? or can I just order something
>> from future shop?

Douglas Adams

George Bunn

www.offtek.co.uk are ok and cheap.
"lbbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a dell p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k. Does my
> system require proprietary ram? or can I just order something from future
> shop?

nemo2

Ibbs,

Dell's are very funny about ram, make sure that you use ram
specifically for Dell either Crucial or Kingston.

Even using Kingston ram specifically for a DEll GX150 I still had to
re-install Win2K to get the machine running; before I reinstalled
Win2K I got the blue screen of death on boot up.

Regards

nemo2

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:52:06 -0500, "lbbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>someone told me that a non dell memory will not physically fit in the slot
>of a dell dimension computer.
>Also, how do you know if ram is low or high density (would the specs mention
>the density?).
>
>"lbbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a dell p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k. Does my
>> system require proprietary ram? or can I just order something from future
>> shop?

DT

, Once upon a time in a land far away lbbs was alleged to have said:
> someone told me that a non dell memory will not physically fit in the slot
> of a dell dimension computer.
> Also, how do you know if ram is low or high density (would the specs mention
> the density?).
>
> "lbbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a dell p3, 733Mhz system with 256MB ram pc133, win2k. Does my
>>system require proprietary ram? or can I just order something from future
>>shop?

I bought generic RAM at BestBuy for my 4100. Popped in a second 256MB
and it works fine. Some one is just trying to sell you expensive memory.

--

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.