Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is it possible to download an updated version of a PC's BIOS?

Is it possible to download an updated version of a PC's BIOS?

ICee

Flaccid wrote:
> ICee wrote:
>
>> The version of the manufacturers BIOS is embedded in the string of
>> numbers at the bottom of the screen when the BIOS first comes up.
>> Example: 12/03/99-i815-W83627HF-6A69MA1AC-01.

> Yep, that's the version info that changed after I flashed my BIOS
> with the file from Gigabyte's site. The Award BIOS version, which
> appears at the top of my screen, stayed the same.
>
> Thanks for the explanation -- but it begs the question: why were
> Award trying to sell me an upgrade for US $25 that does nothing?

There are newer versions of the 'generic' Award BIOS. It's at least to
version 6.00. However, the manufacturer of the MB would have to support
the new Award BIOS version with an update for that specific version.
I've not seen that done in the past 8 years, although it could happen.

Award probably just wanted to sell you a BIOS chip, as Michael said.

Douglas Adams