Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WinXP "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close...." Shell32.dll and ntdll.dll question.

WinXP "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close...." Shell32.dll and ntdll.dll question.

Sparky

Windows Explorer keeps freezing with subject explanation. I tried to
replace Shell32.dll and ntdll.dll with original clean versions with a
NTFS boot recovery program and the files delete and replace fine.
When I reboot the original corrupted files are back in place. Does
WinXP make backups of these system files and replace them on boot up?

This nag crash is driving me crazy as it rearranges my desktop icons
and hides lower right taskbar icons. Crash occurs every time I select
Start -> My Network Places -> then attempt to open any files on my
computers shared folder. I can access these same folders from the C
drive with no crash.

Any and all help appreciated.

Harrison

Have you installed all critical updates, scanned for viruses, and
checked for spyware/adware/malware?
Did you try System Restore?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:11:12 -0500, Sparky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Windows Explorer keeps freezing with subject explanation. I tried to
>replace Shell32.dll and ntdll.dll with original clean versions with a
>NTFS boot recovery program and the files delete and replace fine.
>When I reboot the original corrupted files are back in place. Does
>WinXP make backups of these system files and replace them on boot up?
>
> This nag crash is driving me crazy as it rearranges my desktop icons
>and hides lower right taskbar icons. Crash occurs every time I select
>Start -> My Network Places -> then attempt to open any files on my
>computers shared folder. I can access these same folders from the C
>drive with no crash.
>
>Any and all help appreciated.

Billy

Check the first post and also follow the search/unreg procedure for
shell32.dll and ntdll.dll described in this article for a different dll.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
If it is still whacked then try a sfc /purgecache
followed by a sfc /scannow
Have the XP CD handy.

"Sparky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows Explorer keeps freezing with subject explanation. I tried to
> replace Shell32.dll and ntdll.dll with original clean versions with a
> NTFS boot recovery program and the files delete and replace fine.
> When I reboot the original corrupted files are back in place. Does
> WinXP make backups of these system files and replace them on boot up?
>
> This nag crash is driving me crazy as it rearranges my desktop icons
> and hides lower right taskbar icons. Crash occurs every time I select
> Start -> My Network Places -> then attempt to open any files on my
> computers shared folder. I can access these same folders from the C
> drive with no crash.
>
> Any and all help appreciated.

Sparky

I have done the Adaware, Spybot, NAV, ZA checks. I have run sfc
/scannow to replace or repair system files. Right after sfc /scannow
I can select the Start -> My Network Places -> then open any files on
my computer's shared folder and it works for about 3-5 seconds then
fails again and fails repeatedly without delay thereafter.

Additionally, I have tried a full Windows Repair but installation
hangs at Installing Windows -> Installing Network and hard freezes at
32 minutes.