Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Whats with the stupid spamers now?

Whats with the stupid spamers now?

Zknb

Have you noticed the trend in using random words for the subject line
to sneak past spam filters?

I just don't understand why the spammers think you will read an email
that arrives from someone you do not know and has the subject:

beltway dignify rectangle porcelain

Any faster than you would read an email that has the subject:

Enlarge your penis now!!!

What a bunch of idiots...

Mara

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:54:30 GMT, Zknb wrote:

>Have you noticed the trend in using random words for the subject line
>to sneak past spam filters?
>
>I just don't understand why the spammers think you will read an email
>that arrives from someone you do not know and has the subject:
>
>beltway dignify rectangle porcelain

In a lot of cases they don't care if you actually read it or not. They're being
paid to send them, not to guarantee you'll read them. That's not true of all
spammers, but it is of some.

--
If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once
in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. --Rene Descartes

The Old Sourdough

Piggy-backed (I don't see the OP)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:12:58 -0600, Mara wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:54:30 GMT, Zknb wrote:
>
>>Have you noticed the trend in using random words for the subject line to
>>sneak past spam filters?
>>
>>I just don't understand why the spammers think you will read an email
>>that arrives from someone you do not know and has the subject:
>>
>>beltway dignify rectangle porcelain

> In a lot of cases they don't care if you actually read it or not.
> They're being paid to send them, not to guarantee you'll read them.
> That's not true of all spammers, but it is of some.

And, humans being what they are, there are bound to be some who'll read
the junk, and some (very few) who'll actually fall for the scam, pitch, or
whatever. It's a percentage game. The spammer sends out millions of spams
and even if only one one hundredth of one per cent respond, the expense is
negligible in relation to potential profit. Think how much it would cost
to send that much postal mail, then consider how much it costs to send
that much junk email, and you'll get the picture.

Sure, the account gets suspended or cancelled, after the damage is done.
And, there are spam-friendly ISPs, open relays, and all the rest of it.

--
The Old Sourdough
Beer!!11!! The staff of life.

Gary G. Taylor

Zknb wrote:

> Have you noticed the trend in using random words for the subject line
> to sneak past spam filters?
>
> I just don't understand why the spammers think you will read an email
> that arrives from someone you do not know and has the subject:
>
> beltway dignify rectangle porcelain
>
> Any faster than you would read an email that has the subject:
>
> Enlarge your penis now!!!
>
> What a bunch of idiots...

Actually, though, the stream-of-consciousness in those random word strings
can sometimes be pretty neat. I've been saving some of the better ones.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Stupid is as Stupid Does! Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 3 06-26-2004 12:49 PM
Spamers list not hereplease@not here.com Computer Support 4 06-06-2004 05:41 PM
is there anything proactive we can do to shut down spamers??????? Daniel Farley NZ Computing 7 08-21-2003 05:19 AM

Advertisments