Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Math Problem: Worker Efficiency

Math Problem: Worker Efficiency

Make Yourself

Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution
warehouse.

Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces he
picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415.

Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces he
picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his orders is 616.

Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show the work.

Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.

Cheers,

Coupon

wisefool

Make Yourself said:
> Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution
> warehouse.
>
> Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces
> he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415.
>
> Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces
> he picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his orders is 616.
>
> Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show the work.
>
> Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Coupon

In pieces per hour, Warren picks 538 / 7 = roughly 77 pieces per hour.
" " Preet picks 1169 / 7.5 = roughly 156 pieces
per hour.
In orders per hour Warren picks 47 / 7 = roughly 7 orders per hour.
" " Preet picks 24 / 7.5 = roughly 3 orders per
hour.

So Preet is more efficient in terms of pieces per hour.
But Warren is more efficient in terms of orders per hour.

Efficient in this kind of question generally means lowest cost/time per
task.

But there isn't enough information in the question to give a more specific
answer.

wisefool

Make Yourself

There is more information in the question though. The total number of
locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go to to
put their orders together. The more locations the more work they have to
do.

Cheers,

Coupon

"wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bup62j$21m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Make Yourself said:
> > Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution
> > warehouse.
> >
> > Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces
> > he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415.
> >
> > Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces
> > he picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his orders is 616.
> >
> > Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show the work.
> >
> > Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Coupon

> In pieces per hour, Warren picks 538 / 7 = roughly 77 pieces per hour.
> " " Preet picks 1169 / 7.5 = roughly 156 pieces
> per hour.
> In orders per hour Warren picks 47 / 7 = roughly 7 orders per hour.
> " " Preet picks 24 / 7.5 = roughly 3 orders per
> hour.
>
> So Preet is more efficient in terms of pieces per hour.
> But Warren is more efficient in terms of orders per hour.
>
> Efficient in this kind of question generally means lowest cost/time per
> task.
>
> But there isn't enough information in the question to give a more specific
> answer.
>
> wisefool

Boomer

"Make Yourself" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> There is more information in the question though. The total
> number of locations on their orders tells you how many locations
> they had to go to to put their orders together. The more
> locations the more work they have to do.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Coupon

Then you figure out the rest. It's your homework, isn't it?

> "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bup62j$21m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Make Yourself said:
>> > Two employees are putting orders together for a
>> > distribution
>> > warehouse.
>> >
>> > Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of
>> > pieces
>> > he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders
>> > is 415.
>> >
>> > Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of
>> > pieces
>> > he picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his orders
>> > is 616.
>> >
>> > Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show
>> > the work.
>> >
>> > Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Coupon

>> In pieces per hour, Warren picks 538 / 7 = roughly 77 pieces per
>> hour.
>> " " Preet picks 1169 / 7.5 = roughly
>> 156 pieces
>> per hour.
>> In orders per hour Warren picks 47 / 7 = roughly 7 orders per
>> hour.
>> " " Preet picks 24 / 7.5 = roughly 3
>> orders per
>> hour.
>>
>> So Preet is more efficient in terms of pieces per hour.
>> But Warren is more efficient in terms of orders per hour.
>>
>> Efficient in this kind of question generally means lowest
>> cost/time per task.
>>
>> But there isn't enough information in the question to give a more
>> specific answer.
>>
>> wisefool

trout

Make Yourself wrote:

> There is more information in the question though. The total number of
> locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
> to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
> they have to do.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Coupon

Maybe. But there's still not enough information to make it a useful
factor in determining efficiency. Perhaps the greater number of 'pieces
picked' are from neatly-arranged, consecutive locations in close
proximity (let's say aisles A, B, C, and D); while the smaller number
gathered from widely-spaced locations (aisles B, Q, L and Z; as well as
the old shed, out back). Hard to make this a factor in a formula.
This type of actual, linear movement is even more important in
deciding if *orders* picked per hour is even a factor. Are the orders
being picked consecutively (making a 'round trip' for each) or
concurrently? We don't know. Is Warren running back and forth with a
hand-cart, filling orders for large appliances, or driving around with a
giant forklift, filling many orders at once for novelty key-chains?
I don't see anything in the information to determine actual
efficiency other than pieces picked per hour; so I'd fire Warren's lazy
ass, and give Preet the rest of the day off; if this was all I had to go
by.

> "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bup62j$21m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Make Yourself said:
>>> Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution
>>> warehouse.
>>>
>>> Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces
>>> he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is
>>> 415.
>>>
>>> Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of
>>> pieces he picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his
>>> orders is 616.
>>>
>>> Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show the
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Coupon

>> In pieces per hour, Warren picks 538 / 7 = roughly 77 pieces per
>> hour. " " Preet picks 1169 / 7.5 =
>> roughly 156 pieces per hour.
>> In orders per hour Warren picks 47 / 7 = roughly 7 orders per hour.
>> " " Preet picks 24 / 7.5 = roughly 3 orders
>> per hour.
>>
>> So Preet is more efficient in terms of pieces per hour.
>> But Warren is more efficient in terms of orders per hour.
>>
>> Efficient in this kind of question generally means lowest cost/time
>> per task.
>>
>> But there isn't enough information in the question to give a more
>> specific answer.
>>
>> wisefool

Patrick

Make Yourself wrote:
> Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution
> warehouse.
>
> Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces
> he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415.
>
> Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces
> he picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his orders is 616.
>
> Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show the work.
>
> Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Coupon

Dear 'Make Yourself' (Coupon), please do it yourself !
You have a darn cheek, asking others to do your job and get some poor
employee the sack.
Why do you not sack yourself (your the failure, not any employee).

wisefool

Make Yourself said:
> There is more information in the question though. The total number of
> locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
> to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
> they have to do.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Coupon

Unfortunately my crystal broke last week.

Your question makes sense -- but you clearly have more
information / understanding about the context tha we do, and
you've not told us that extra information.

Can't help you. Even if I could, why would I? The way I see it,
either:

(a) You're attempting this unanswerable question for homework. In which
case, no educator is gonna care if you can't answer an "impossible"
question.
(b) You're doing this for an employer. In which case, why on earth
are you in a position where you need to make business decisions
if you find yourself asking others for input on ones like this?
(c) You are doing this for fun. In which case -- not many people here can
really can relate to that. And we will simply move on to the next
poster.

wisefool

wisefool

Make Yourself said:
> There is more information in the question though. The total number of
> locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
> to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
> they have to do.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Coupon

A. Did they have to go to Florida to Kenya to get the packaging materials
for each delivery? Or just to the end of the hall? Or table...

B. Were they experts at solving the "travelling salesman problem", or just
juniors?

C. Did the fork lift trucks travel (a) at the speed of light (b) at a fixed,
finite, low, "safe" speed?

D. Did you say metric "tea break length units" or imperial?

E. Rate their average boss experience from ogre to straight down the line
over (1 month), (3 months), (1 year), (2 years)?

F. What were they both paid per hour, in grams of gold equivalent?

Put all the numbers except A in a large mixing bowl. Add calculus and
season to taste with set theory and factorials. Beat A in jug, add some
water and fold into the main mixture. Pour the answer out into a
rectangular decimal container.

"Now chuck all these numbers away, and fire the one you don't like."

Simple. I could be a boss!

wisefool

wisefool

wisefool said:
> A, B, C, D, E, F

Altho' silly, these questions allude to some of the kinds of things
which I think you might want to consider when answering this kind
of question -- there is a lot of info missing in the question.

wisefool

John H. Guillory

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:03:01 -0000, "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A. Did they have to go to Florida to Kenya to get the packaging materials
>for each delivery? Or just to the end of the hall? Or table...

Well, to be honest.... One guy's materials for the order where
stocked in the stockroom that's located around the corner from the
corporate bathroom, upstairs to the attic that's been needing a light
bulb for the last 6 months, but none of the low paid maintenence men
are brave enough to fight the Rats in the dark and the company
flashlights don't work because the bulbs are burned out and the
company doesn't see any need for new bulbs.... The other guy has to
pull the items off the shelf behind him....

>B. Were they experts at solving the "travelling salesman problem", or just
>juniors?

Sons of Juniors.

>C. Did the fork lift trucks travel (a) at the speed of light (b) at a fixed,
>finite, low, "safe" speed?

You get fork lifts???? What, you expect the company to pay for fuel
for these fork lifts???? If light bulbs are too expensive, I hardly
see where a fork lift is in the budget! Besides, if you wrap an ace
bandage around your waiste, it'll work just as good as a back brace,
and you can then safely lift the 800lb boxes without any problem and
haul them from the attic on the 18th floor, down to the warehouse on
the first floor.

>D. Did you say metric "tea break length units" or imperial?

Actually, the company switched over to the dumb-**** measuring
system. You remember.... The one where we wait for the first dumbass
to drop an 800lb box on their foot, they go to the hospital, have
their toe removed, then from that point on we measure things by the
number of dumb-****s, which is equal to the width that that asshole's
toe that got removed. His toe is hanging next to the front door of
the warehouse for anyone needing to measure, just remember to return
his toe back when you get through, or else some other asshole will
have to have his toe cut-off for the benifiet of the company, and you
never know..... Might be you.....

>E. Rate their average boss experience from ogre to straight down the line
>over (1 month), (3 months), (1 year), (2 years)?

We would, but honest, there doesn't exist any word on the planet for
someone as stupid as your boss.... That's why we don't evaluate him...
It's strictly to much damn work to create another word and submit it
to webster....

>F. What were they both paid per hour, in grams of gold equivalent?

The one with the ****-poor results was paid in 1/1000 of a gram
of pixie dust, while the one with the super great results was paid 400
kilo's of crack and 200 kilos of PCP.

>"Now chuck all these numbers away, and fire the one you don't like."

O.k., hit the road, your fired... But your wife stays.... I kept you
on as long as she continued to come visit me, but hey, since you don't
mind, she can continue to visit me after I fire you...

>Simple. I could be a boss!

When you go pick up your final paycheck that's located underneath the
corporate toilet.... Would you mind telling Honest Abe to get the hell
off the toilet.... I mean 8 hours is entirely too long to stay on the
toilet..... Let the seat cool off for the rest of the CEO's.... I'd
tell him myself, but I kinda value my job.... Since you have no job,
seems only fair that you get to tell hiim to move his ass.....