Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DHCP proxy agent

DHCP proxy agent

Hello

Hello:

I want to know what is DHCP proxy agent and what does it do. Does it assign
IP address like the DHCP server.

Thanx in advance for taking the time to reply.

why?

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:04:24 GMT, Hello wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I want to know what is DHCP proxy agent and what does it do. Does it assign
>IP address like the DHCP server.

www.google.com
Searched English pages for
what is a dhcp proxy agent

Take a building, split it into 4 small VLANs (networks), each VLAN is
connected to a specific router interface. (Allowing different policy
settings per location)

Each VLAN has it's own set of IP assigned addresses, normally DHCP is a
broadcast it will hand out any old addresses to any requesting computer,
but not (usually) over router interfaces.

So it's the the proxy agent that processes the requests across the
router interface.

>Thanx in advance for taking the time to reply.

If that's a load of crap ( I woke up 3 hours early today so it's been a
long one) the google search turned up
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials...le.php/2193031

http://www.cisco.com/warp/cpropub/67/11.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800800ed.html

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3046.html
see the abstract.

Me

Dr. Samuel Lamar Wright

can't retrieve email
why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:04:24 GMT, Hello wrote:
>
> >Hello:
> >
> >I want to know what is DHCP proxy agent and what does it do. Does it

assign
> >IP address like the DHCP server.

> www.google.com
> Searched English pages for
> what is a dhcp proxy agent
> Results 1 - 10 of about 23,700. Search took 0.19 seconds.
>
> Take a building, split it into 4 small VLANs (networks), each VLAN is
> connected to a specific router interface. (Allowing different policy
> settings per location)
>
> Each VLAN has it's own set of IP assigned addresses, normally DHCP is a
> broadcast it will hand out any old addresses to any requesting computer,
> but not (usually) over router interfaces.
>
> So it's the the proxy agent that processes the requests across the
> router interface.
>
> >Thanx in advance for taking the time to reply.
> >

> If that's a load of crap ( I woke up 3 hours early today so it's been a
> long one) the google search turned up
> http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials...le.php/2193031
>
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/cpropub/67/11.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...s_feature_guid