Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Learning About Newsgroups???

Learning About Newsgroups???

jerry p

I am a newbie to newsgroups and to usenet. I am currently using Yahoo
newsgroups but I assume that they are usenet newsgroups. I am trying to
learn about newsgroups in general as a first time user and am looking
for advice as to where I can learn more about them.
Also, where can I find the FAQ to this and other newsgroups to get
better aquainted with them?
lace to post that kind of question?

I recently posted a geography homework question in this group, is this
the right place to post this type of question? If you have any
suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.

I am looking forward to learning anything and everything that I can
about newsgroups and how to porperly use them (I am assuming that they
are called usenet newsgroups).

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.

Rifleman

"jerry p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aPnPb.7335$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I am a newbie to newsgroups and to usenet. I am currently using Yahoo
> newsgroups but I assume that they are usenet newsgroups. I am trying to
> learn about newsgroups in general as a first time user and am looking
> for advice as to where I can learn more about them.
> Also, where can I find the FAQ to this and other newsgroups to get
> better aquainted with them?
> lace to post that kind of question?
>
> I recently posted a geography homework question in this group, is this
> the right place to post this type of question? If you have any
> suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.
>
> I am looking forward to learning anything and everything that I can
> about newsgroups and how to porperly use them (I am assuming that they
> are called usenet newsgroups).
>
> If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.

Try this for starters:
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/index.html
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/newtonews.html

KeithS

"jerry p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aPnPb.7335$(E-Mail Removed)
> I am a newbie to newsgroups and to usenet. I am currently using
> Yahoo newsgroups but I assume that they are usenet newsgroups. I am
> trying to learn about newsgroups in general as a first time user
> and am looking for advice as to where I can learn more about them.
> Also, where can I find the FAQ to this and other newsgroups to get
> better aquainted with them?
> lace to post that kind of question?
>
> I recently posted a geography homework question in this group, is
> this the right place to post this type of question? If you have any
> suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.
>
> I am looking forward to learning anything and everything that I can
> about newsgroups and how to porperly use them (I am assuming that
> they are called usenet newsgroups).
>
> If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.

Lifted from alt.newbie a reply posted by Timo Salmi

Links to Timo's FAQ materials
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

Of Usenet news netiquette and sundry, in HTML

Why it is sensible to observe the Netiquette
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/netiquet.html

Of proper quoting
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

Of suitable right margins
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/margin.html

What does "Subject: Re: none" mean on the Usenet news?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/whatsubj.html

Why "Reply by email, I don't read this newsgroup" gets flamed?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/serveme.html

What are the restrictions for a proper signature?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/signatur.html

How should I react to crackpot messages?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crackpot.html

How should I react to abusive postings or email?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/abusive.html

How should I react to chain letters?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/chainlet.html

May I just go ahead and post binaries to discussion newsgroups?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/nobin.html

Where to put test postings?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/testpost.html

Can I say hello and find friends on new users' newsgroups?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/hello.html

Please respond to my assignment to post to this newsgroup.
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/lectpost.html

Someone just broke the netiquette. Should I post/email advice?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/police.html

What is cross-posting? How do I do it?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html

How does one create a new Usenet newsgroup?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/createng.html

How can I cancel my Usenet news posting?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/cancel.html

How long will my posting stay on the Usenet news?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/expiry.html

Where did my Usenet posting disappear?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/postgone.html

Where do I find a complete list of Usenet newsgroups?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/newsgrps.html

How do I find the FAQ (and/or the charter) of a newsgroup?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/wherefaq.html

Isn't using English compulsory on the international Usenet news?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/onlyengl.html

What are the distribution area codes for Usenet news postings?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/dislimit.html

Why don't you lay off your stupid FAQ postings and referrals?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/faqoff.html

What is all this talk about "(Pascal etc) homework on the net"?
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/homework.html

Anonymous Usenet posting, another view
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/anonpost.html

Timo's selection of Usenet newsgroups
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/news.html

Programming
-----------

Timo's procmail email filtering tips and recipes
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html

Foiling Spam with an Email Password System
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/spamfoil.html

Turbo Pascal programming material links
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#programming

MS-DOS batch programming material links
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#batch

Unix Bourne shell scripts programming material from Timo
http://garbo.uwasa.fi/unix/ts.html

Timo's HTML colors page
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/colors.html

ISO Latin 1 Character Entries, etc
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/latin1.html

Miscellaneous
-------------

Some Frequently Asked Garbo Archives Questions
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/garbo.html#faq

Miscellaneous questions, information and comments about Timo's
programs etc
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/garbo.html#faqtimo

Journals in Accounting, Finance and OR for Research
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/opas/jott/jottjour.html

Laskentatoimen tutkielma FAQ (in Finnish)
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/opas/tlma/tlmafaq.html

Timo's collections of http links
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http.html

Timo's collection of banners with links
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/banners.html

Timo's collection of GIF thumbnails
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/gifst/gifst.html

Of University of Vaasa, Vaasa, Finland A Collection of Electronic
Photographs
http://www.uwasa.fi/ktt/lasktoim/photo/

Of personal hobbies
-------------------

Cross-country skiing
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timoski.html

Long-distance skating
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timonice.html

Bicycling (Partly in Finnish)
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timobike.html

Computer programming
http://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/ts.html

Popularized natural and behavioral science
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/popsci.html

All the best, Timo

Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
(E-Mail Removed) <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
Digital photos collection at http://www.uwasa.fi/ktt/lasktoim/photo/

HTH
KeithS

nemo

Do a Google search on "free newsgroup servers"

Here are the ones I use:

Reliable:

news:dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu (incudes scientific groups.)
news:news.annexcafe.com (a nice community - mainly ladies.)
news:news.grc.com (security related issues only)

No naughty stuff on these.

Flakey and intermittent:

Biggulp is difficult to get into and throws you off if you do nothing for a
minute or two, and wplus disappears for a few days at a time. Both include
naughty stuff. Someone also said that wplus attempts data mining and other
hacks. I've found no evidence of this.

If these show up as Hyperlinks, click and your reader will install them. OE
does. Normally takes a minute or two. If not and you have to install them
manually, enter them without the "news:" (colon) prefix.

Nemo

jerry p <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aPnPb.7335$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I am a newbie to newsgroups and to usenet. I am currently using Yahoo
> newsgroups but I assume that they are usenet newsgroups. I am trying to
> learn about newsgroups in general as a first time user and am looking
> for advice as to where I can learn more about them.
> Also, where can I find the FAQ to this and other newsgroups to get
> better aquainted with them?
> lace to post that kind of question?
>
> I recently posted a geography homework question in this group, is this
> the right place to post this type of question? If you have any
> suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.
>
> I am looking forward to learning anything and everything that I can
> about newsgroups and how to porperly use them (I am assuming that they
> are called usenet newsgroups).
>
> If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them, very much.

Penna Elabi

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/FAQs/

> I recently posted a geography homework question in this group

You should do your homework yourself.