Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Diagram modelling question

Diagram modelling question

wisefool

wisefool said:
> wisefool said:
>> wisefool said:

>>> How long are your description texts? Would a "tool-tip" kind of
>>> thing do the trick? You can get a DHTML coder to do this for you as
>>> a one off. You might be able to use my crazy Word macro recording
>>> technique in the other post to automate conversion from the Visio
>>> HTML output to HTML with tool-tips.
>>>
>>> wisefool

>> It is also possible to embed JavaScript code in your main HTML
>> diagram page which "writes HTML" on the fly into a new window, but I
>> wouldn't recommend this as the new window would be a "popup" window
>> and increasingly people have software which do not display popups.
>>
>> The other alternative is to use frames:
>>

>>> <main diagram> | <sidebar for desc> |
>>> |

>> Have an HTML frameset file something like:

>> <head>
>> <title>Frames Example</title>
>> </head>
>> <frameset COLS="80%,*">
>> <frame SRC="main-diagram.html" NAME="main-diagram">
>> <frame SRC="initial-description.html" NAME="description">
>> <noframes>
>> This text will appear only if the browser does not
>> support frames.
>> </noframes>
>> </frameset>
>>
>> and put TARGET="description" in the hyperlinks in the diagram to
>> load the descriptions in the right hand frame.

> Or yes, you can display descriptions in the main diagram HTML page
> itself (changing the text of paragraphs and headings on the page can
> be done with JavaScript) on modern graphical browsers only.
>
> Again knowledge of JavaScript and DHTML required.

Here is a canned DHTML solution tho it has only been tested on
MSIE 6 and Mozilla Firebird 0.7, and is definitely not something
that will work on all browsers and browser versions:

-------------START demo-descriptions.html
<head>
<!-- START OF SECTION A -->
<script language=javascript><!--
var desc = new Array();
// FOR USER: ENTER DESCRIPTIONS HERE
desc["a"] = "<p>This is a text description of a</p>";
desc["b"] = "<p>This is a text description of b</p>";
desc["c"] = "<p>This is a text description of c</p>";
// [END OF] FOR USER: END OF DESCRIPTIONS
function showDescriptionFor(name) {
document.getElementById("descTitle").innerHTML = "<h2>Description of
"+name+"</h2>";
document.getElementById("descParagraph").innerHTML = desc[name];
}
// --></script>
<!-- END OF SECTION A -->
</head>

<!-- START OF EXAMPLE LINKS -->
show)</a><br/>
show)</a><br/>
show)</a><br/>
<!-- END OF EXAMPLE LINKS -->

<!-- START OF SECTION B -->
<!-- END OF SECTION B -->

-------------END

To add this functionality to your own documents:
1. Copy SECTION A and stick it inside your HTML <head>...</head> section.
2. Copy SECTION B and stick it where tyou want the description to display.
3. Edit the HTML in the descriptions section of SECTION A
4. Make your links, like those in the EXAMPLE LINKS section

This is *not* compatible with some browsers. You will need a DHTML
coder with browser compatiblity knowledge to make better code which
will run in all browsers. But this might give you an idea of what can be
done.

>> wisefool

neil

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:41:13 -0000, "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]

></head>

><!-- START OF EXAMPLE LINKS -->
>show)</a><br/>
>show)</a><br/>
>show)</a><br/>
><!-- END OF EXAMPLE LINKS -->
>
><!-- START OF SECTION B -->
><!-- END OF SECTION B -->

>-------------END
>
>To add this functionality to your own documents:
>1. Copy SECTION A and stick it inside your HTML <head>...</head> section.
>2. Copy SECTION B and stick it where tyou want the description to display.
>3. Edit the HTML in the descriptions section of SECTION A
>4. Make your links, like those in the EXAMPLE LINKS section
>
>This is *not* compatible with some browsers. You will need a DHTML
>coder with browser compatiblity knowledge to make better code which
>will run in all browsers. But this might give you an idea of what can be

(Third attempt, posting under a different news server)

Don't think my last post got submitted somehow, now I kinda forgot
what I wrote... but I'll try and remember.

Firstly thanks for taking the time to write all those ideas you've
been giving me, I couldn't believe how much ya done. So that is
appreciated, and sorry I didn't reply sooner, was away to a match.

Anyway, unfortunately I don't think I can be able to use those ideas,
because I don't want to edit the main HTML file where the diagram will
be on. If I edit this then in the future if they want to create a new
diagram then it will kinda cause hassle if ya know what I mean.

All I really want them to do is write out there description somewhere
(like a database, text file or something) and write out the hyperlink
of the required box/object from the diagram, as the reason I mention
PHP before was it may be like
http://blah.com/description.php?q=wisefool this would then output the
text from the database field or textfile respectively. But as I say,
not sure if that is the best way, but the general idea is still there.

I'm not sure how long the descriptions are, but it couldn't be more
than 5 lines long. Oh and macros scare me hehe, but if it is
something you recommend then I will look into it more.

wisefool

neil said:
> [...]

> because I don't want to edit the main HTML file where the diagram will
> be on. If I edit this then in the future if they want to create a new
> diagram then it will kinda cause hassle if ya know what I mean.
>
> All I really want them to do is write out there description somewhere
> (like a database, text file or something) and write out the hyperlink
> of the required box/object from the diagram, as the reason I mention
> PHP before was it may be like
> http://blah.com/description.php?q=wisefool this would then output the
> text from the database field or textfile respectively. But as I say,
> not sure if that is the best way, but the general idea is still there.
>
> I'm not sure how long the descriptions are, but it couldn't be more
> than 5 lines long. Oh and macros scare me hehe, but if it is
> something you recommend then I will look into it more.

Oh well if it scares you forget it. Or leave it till another time.

One last suggestion that might save you from doing PHP:

Use URLs like this one in your Visio document (in Word 97 you
say Insert > Hyperlink and type the following in the 'Link to file
or URL' box, then Save as HTML):

javascript:alert('This is a very long description. This is a very long
description. This is a very long description. This is a very ling
description. This is a very long description. This is a very long
description. This is a very long description. This is a very long
description.');

Why do this? The result is that the description pops up in a little
message dialog box with an OK button -- but only *after* you "Save
as HTML" or "Save as Web Page" or export to HTML or whatever
the option is called, and bring up the HTML file in a web browser.

Maybe this works in Visio too? Might suit your needs. If not by all
means call in the PHP and HTML propellor heads.

The length of the description may be limited -- test
what description length works with this before you decide.

wisefool

neil

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:51:21 -0000, "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]

>or URL' box, then Save as HTML):
>
>javascript:alert('This is a very long description. This is a very long
>description. This is a very long description. This is a very ling
>description. This is a very long description. This is a very long
>description. This is a very long description. This is a very long
>description.');
>
>Why do this? The result is that the description pops up in a little
>message dialog box with an OK button -- but only *after* you "Save
>as HTML" or "Save as Web Page" or export to HTML or whatever
>the option is called, and bring up the HTML file in a web browser.
>
>Maybe this works in Visio too? Might suit your needs. If not by all
>means call in the PHP and HTML propellor heads.
>
>The length of the description may be limited -- test
>what description length works with this before you decide.

Thanks wisefool, the javascript works although the text limit was far
too small for what was required. Looks like it will be the PHP method,
have to go learn it.

Thanks again.

wisefool

neil said:
> <snip investigating non-PHP avenues / wisefool & neil>
>
> Thanks wisefool, the javascript works although the text limit was far
> too small for what was required. Looks like it will be the PHP method,
> have to go learn it.
>
> Thanks again.

Fine -- PHP it is.

For an example, bare-bones PHP script for your kind of application:
Take a look at http://codewalkers.com/seecode/12.html
You will have to edit it, add your SQL query and add an HTML code at
the start and end to (a) make it pretty; (b) get it to format things
correctly; (c) make it professional from a technical point of view.

To learn PHP: get a book. I usually recommend O'Reilly's if you
have a technical streak -- and I haven't read their PHP stuff. But
also see what the top seller is. You can get books which talk
about both PHP and mySQL, or if you want to save money
there's oodles of tutorials online.

To learn SQL: Take a look at http://www.firstsql.com/tutor.htm

For mySQL: Ask in comp.databases what a good general link or one
for just what you need to know would be. Bob Badour there will
probably chide you for using mySQL!! Listen sympathetically and
consider whatever alternatives he, Christopher or Jim recommend.
They are reasonably non-biased, most others are promoting some
DB or other. Though they will try to steer you away from mySQL,
they or some other poster can point you in the right direction for
using it.

If you're using a web hosting company that can make things a bit
easier because they will give you access to a computer where
mySQL and PHP are installed and set up already. Then you
can skip learning about installing/managing the mySQL and
PHP software itself.

wisefool

wisefool

wisefool said:
> neil said:
>> <snip investigating non-PHP avenues / wisefool & neil>
>>
>> Thanks wisefool, the javascript works although the text limit was far
>> too small for what was required. Looks like it will be the PHP
>> method, have to go learn it.
>>
>> Thanks again.

> Fine -- PHP it is.
>
> For an example, bare-bones PHP script for your kind of application:
> Take a look at http://codewalkers.com/seecode/12.html
> You will have to edit it, add your SQL query and add an HTML code at
> the start and end to (a) make it pretty; (b) get it to format things
> correctly; (c) make it professional from a technical point of view.
>
> To learn PHP: get a book. I usually recommend O'Reilly's if you
> have a technical streak -- and I haven't read their PHP stuff. But
> also see what the top seller is. You can get books which talk
> about both PHP and mySQL, or if you want to save money
> there's oodles of tutorials online.
>
> To learn SQL: Take a look at http://www.firstsql.com/tutor.htm
>
> For mySQL: Ask in comp.databases what a good general link or one
> for just what you need to know would be. Bob Badour there will
> probably chide you for using mySQL!! Listen sympathetically and
> consider whatever alternatives he, Christopher or Jim recommend.
> They are reasonably non-biased, most others are promoting some
> DB or other. Though they will try to steer you away from mySQL,
> they or some other poster can point you in the right direction for
> using it.
>
> If you're using a web hosting company that can make things a bit
> easier because they will give you access to a computer where
> mySQL and PHP are installed and set up already. Then you
> can skip learning about installing/managing the mySQL and
> PHP software itself.
>
> wisefool

The online HTML reference I use is online at:
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/index.html
The guy who maintains it seems particularly meticulous.

Probably the best way to get the HTML you want
if you are in a rush is to use a graphical HTML editor.
Ask in alt.html for graphical editor advice; however the
consensus in this newsgroup is they are ideally to be avoided
because you really need to understand HTML intimately
rather than use anything remotely wizard-ey, in the long
term.

wisefool

wisefool

wisefool said:
> wisefool said:
>> neil said:
>>> <snip investigating non-PHP avenues / wisefool & neil>
>>>
>>> Thanks wisefool, the javascript works although the text limit was
>>> far too small for what was required. Looks like it will be the PHP
>>> method, have to go learn it.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.

>> Fine -- PHP it is.
>>
>> For an example, bare-bones PHP script for your kind of application:
>> Take a look at http://codewalkers.com/seecode/12.html
>> You will have to edit it, add your SQL query and add an HTML code at
>> the start and end to (a) make it pretty; (b) get it to format things
>> correctly; (c) make it professional from a technical point of view.
>>
>> To learn PHP: get a book. I usually recommend O'Reilly's if you
>> have a technical streak -- and I haven't read their PHP stuff. But
>> also see what the top seller is. You can get books which talk
>> about both PHP and mySQL, or if you want to save money
>> there's oodles of tutorials online.
>>
>> To learn SQL: Take a look at http://www.firstsql.com/tutor.htm
>>
>> For mySQL: Ask in comp.databases what a good general link or one
>> for just what you need to know would be. Bob Badour there will
>> probably chide you for using mySQL!! Listen sympathetically and
>> consider whatever alternatives he, Christopher or Jim recommend.
>> They are reasonably non-biased, most others are promoting some
>> DB or other. Though they will try to steer you away from mySQL,
>> they or some other poster can point you in the right direction for
>> using it.
>>
>> If you're using a web hosting company that can make things a bit
>> easier because they will give you access to a computer where
>> mySQL and PHP are installed and set up already. Then you
>> can skip learning about installing/managing the mySQL and
>> PHP software itself.
>>
>> wisefool

> The online HTML reference I use is online at:
> http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/index.html
> The guy who maintains it seems particularly meticulous.
>
> Probably the best way to get the HTML you want
> if you are in a rush is to use a graphical HTML editor.
> Ask in alt.html for graphical editor advice; however the
> consensus in this newsgroup is they are ideally to be avoided
> because you really need to understand HTML intimately
> rather than use anything remotely wizard-ey, in the long
> term.

It is important to note that some HTML features work on some
browsers but not on others -- the first step in designing HTML
is to know as far as possible what browsers and browser versions
are gonna be used to access your HTML, and then make sure you (a)
only use those features; and (b) ideally test the code on all target
browser versions. Part (b) is part of the reason why web
design agencies can make things easier if you need to target
many browser versions. There are plenty of statistics on
browser versions in use on the web, but global browser version
usage *might* not be indicative of your end user's browser
version usage.

wisefool

> wisefool

Boomer

neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

[HUGE SNIP]

> Looks like it will be the PHP
> method, have to go learn it.
>
> Thanks again.

And learn how to snip a bit!

wisefool

wisefool said:
> <snip HTML/PHP/mySQL related stuff>

For the data entry into mySQL you can use MS Access.
Simply create a new blank MS Acccess database, install
the mySQL ODBC driver on the data entry machine, then
use File > Get External Data > Link tables, type
connection details, select the relevant tables and you will
then be able to use MS Access for the data entry. If you
don't have MS Access you can use the data tools in
www.openOffice.org.

This would be a good option if others in your company are
used to Access, although a safer option would be to edit
an Excel spreadsheet full of descriptions, then Save as
..CSV, copy the .CSV to the database server and import it
into mySQL when you want to do an update. This way, you
have a master copy in Excel which means keeping backups
is easier. But importing the .CSV in this way would require
some technical knowhow in those that follow you.

The third option is to get the PHPers to build you a custom
interface. It should (!) be about the same price for them to
do you a .CSV file upload/download page than build an
online editing interface, and probably better for you because
you have more control over your data. If they say this is
a lot harder ask different people (good test of their
competence/experience)!

wisefool

wisefool

wisefool said:
> <snip other stuff>
> ~
> Examples of search wildcards
>
> You can fine-tune a search by using any of the following wildcards.
> In the Find or Replace dialog box, click More if you don't see the
> Use wildcards check box. Then select the Use wildcards check box and
> type the wildcard and any other text in the Find what box.
>
> Tip For a quick way to enter a wildcard in the Find what box, click
> Special and then click a wildcard.
>
> To find Use this
> wildcard
> Examples
> Any single character ? s?t finds "sat" and "set."
> Any string of characters * s*d finds "sad" and "started."
> One of the specified characters [ ] w[io]n finds "win" and "won."
> Any single character in this range [-] [r-t]ight finds "right" and
> "sight." Ranges must be in ascending order.
> Any single character except the characters inside the brackets [!]
> m[!a]st finds "mist" and "most," but not "mast."
> Any single character except characters in the range inside the
> brackets [!x-z] t[!a-m]ck finds "tock" and "tuck," but not "tack" or
> "tick."
> Exactly n occurrences of the previous character or expression {n}
> fe{2}d finds "feed" but not "fed."
> At least n occurrences of the previous character or expression {n,}
> fe{1,}d finds "fed" and "feed."
> From n to m occurrences of the previous character or expression {n,m}
> 10{1,3} finds "10," "100," and "1000."
> One or more occurrences of the previous character or expression @
> lo@t finds "lot" and "loot."
> The beginning of a word < <(inter) finds "interesting" and
> "intercept," but not "splintered."
> The end of a word > (in)> finds "in" and "within," but not
> "interesting." Notes
>
> You can use parentheses to group the wildcards and text and to
> indicate the order of evaluation. For example, search for
> "<(pre)*(ed)>" to find "presorted" and "prevented."
> To search for a character that's defined as a wildcard, type a
> backslash (\) before the character. For example, search for "\?" to
> find a question mark.
> You can use the \n wildcard to search for an expression and then
> replace it with the rearranged expression. For example, type (Newton)
> (Christie) in the Find what box and \2 \1 in the Replace with box.
> Word will find "Newton Christie" and replace it with "Christie
> Newton." ~

Note: Between ~s is an extract from the Microsoft Word 97 help file.

modelling a FIFO in VHDL fpgawizz VHDL 4 03-10-2010 10:09 AM
Modelling real life components in VHDL Moikel VHDL 6 02-11-2006 01:00 PM
VHDL modelling USB device ALuPin VHDL 2 09-07-2004 06:34 AM
Modelling question Luc Van Biervliet Java 1 04-05-2004 04:13 AM
Diagram modelling question neil Computer Support 1 01-21-2004 02:37 AM

Advertisments