Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Diagram modelling question

Reply
Thread Tools

Diagram modelling question

 
 
neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2004
Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
description of that specific one.

I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?

Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.

Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
>clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
>description of that specific one.
>
>I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
>like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
>amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
>
>Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
>
>Thanks!



Opps, double posted.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
wisefool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
neil said:
> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
> clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
> description of that specific one.
>
> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
> like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
> amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
>
> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
>
> Thanks!

Other more technical options for file formats, if you get a design
and development team and go for a large-scale industrial
strength solution:

1. Flash or SVG

Both require plugins (from Adobe[for SVG] or Macromedia[for Flash]),
although the plugins are free and Office is not (although there are still
probably free "Office viewers").

Flash is more popular now but proprietary, whereas SVG is a new
(not yet established) web standard. For authoring you will need paid-for
tools like those of Adobe or Macromedia.

2. Home-grow a solution based on DHTML or a custom plugin.

wisefool


 
Reply With Quote
 
neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
>clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
>description of that specific one.
>
>I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
>like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
>amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
>
>Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
>
>Thanks!



Thanks wisefool for all that advice.

I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
using a url.

Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to link
them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or would
there be another solution?

All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives the
description when you click on the box, if you know what I mean.
 
Reply With Quote
 
wisefool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
neil said:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
>> clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
>> description of that specific one.
>>
>> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
>> like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
>> amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
>>
>> Thanks!

>
>
> Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
>
> I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
> using a url.
>
> Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to link
> them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or would
> there be another solution?


What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
50 files.

>
> All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives the
> description when you click on the box, if you know what I mean.



 
Reply With Quote
 
neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:10:49 -0000, "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>neil said:
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
>>> clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
>>> description of that specific one.
>>>
>>> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
>>> like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
>>> amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>>
>>
>> Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
>>
>> I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
>> using a url.
>>
>> Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to link
>> them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or would
>> there be another solution?

>
>What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
>PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
>HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
>and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
>50 files.
>
>>
>> All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives the
>> description when you click on the box, if you know what I mean.

>


It's mostly for the future usage, so they can maintain and amend the
diagram themselves without the need for them learning html and having
their time wasted creating another 50 or so web files everytime there
is a new diagram or changes to the previous one.

I don't have a problem with creating 50 odd html files, cause it's
basically doing it once then c/p the rest. But that what I said before
is the only thing that worries me.
 
Reply With Quote
 
wisefool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
wisefool said:
> neil said:
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a user
>>> clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
>>> description of that specific one.
>>>
>>> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
>>> like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
>>> amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the computer.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>>
>>
>> Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
>>
>> I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
>> using a url.
>>
>> Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to link
>> them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or would
>> there be another solution?

>
> What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
> PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
> HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
> and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
> 50 files.


If you want to make a load of repetitive changes to some HTML
output from some program, load one example HTML file (as
"Text Only"), macro record you making search & replace changes
to the file, and saving and closing the file, assign the macro
to a button, load all the files as Text Only, and keep clicking the
button until all the files are done.

Tip for making macro without having to know how to code
in Visual Basic:

When you record your macro, first of all search and replace ^p with
"~newline~". If you do this you can then use pattern matching (aka
wild cards) in subsequent searches -- wildcards don't work across
line boundaries in Word 97 at least. Record your searches and
replaces (can use wild cards below), and then do a search and
replace back from "~newline~" to ^p. Finally save and close the
document and stop the macro recorder.

~
Examples of search wildcards

You can fine-tune a search by using any of the following wildcards. In the
Find or Replace dialog box, click More if you don't see the Use wildcards
check box. Then select the Use wildcards check box and type the wildcard and
any other text in the Find what box.

Tip For a quick way to enter a wildcard in the Find what box, click
Special and then click a wildcard.

To find Use this
wildcard
Examples
Any single character ? s?t finds "sat" and "set."
Any string of characters * s*d finds "sad" and "started."
One of the specified characters [ ] w[io]n finds "win" and "won."
Any single character in this range [-] [r-t]ight finds "right" and "sight."
Ranges must be in ascending order.
Any single character except the characters inside the brackets [!] m[!a]st
finds "mist" and "most," but not "mast."
Any single character except characters in the range inside the brackets
[!x-z] t[!a-m]ck finds "tock" and "tuck," but not "tack" or "tick."
Exactly n occurrences of the previous character or expression {n} fe{2}d
finds "feed" but not "fed."
At least n occurrences of the previous character or expression {n,} fe{1,}d
finds "fed" and "feed."
From n to m occurrences of the previous character or expression {n,m}
10{1,3} finds "10," "100," and "1000."
One or more occurrences of the previous character or expression @ lo@t finds
"lot" and "loot."
The beginning of a word < <(inter) finds "interesting" and "intercept," but
not "splintered."
The end of a word > (in)> finds "in" and "within," but not "interesting."
Notes

You can use parentheses to group the wildcards and text and to indicate
the order of evaluation. For example, search for "<(pre)*(ed)>" to find
"presorted" and "prevented."
To search for a character that's defined as a wildcard, type a backslash
(\) before the character. For example, search for "\?" to find a question
mark.
You can use the \n wildcard to search for an expression and then replace
it with the rearranged expression. For example, type (Newton) (Christie) in
the Find what box and \2 \1 in the Replace with box. Word will find "Newton
Christie" and replace it with "Christie Newton."
~

>
>>
>> All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives the
>> description when you click on the box, if you know what I mean.



 
Reply With Quote
 
wisefool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
neil said:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:10:49 -0000, "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> neil said:
>>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a
>>>> user clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to the
>>>> description of that specific one.
>>>>
>>>> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create something
>>>> like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the diagram is
>>>> amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any suggestions?
>>>>
>>>> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the
>>>> computer.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
>>>
>>> I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each box
>>> using a url.
>>>
>>> Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to
>>> link them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or
>>> would there be another solution?

>>
>> What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
>> PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
>> HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
>> and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
>> 50 files.
>>
>>>
>>> All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives
>>> the description when you click on the box, if you know what I mean.

>>

>
> It's mostly for the future usage, so they can maintain and amend the
> diagram themselves without the need for them learning html and having
> their time wasted creating another 50 or so web files everytime there
> is a new diagram or changes to the previous one.
>
> I don't have a problem with creating 50 odd html files, cause it's
> basically doing it once then c/p the rest. But that what I said before
> is the only thing that worries me.


How long are your description texts? Would a "tool-tip" kind of thing
do the trick? You can get a DHTML coder to do this for you as a one
off. You might be able to use my crazy Word macro recording
technique in the other post to automate conversion from the Visio
HTML output to HTML with tool-tips.

wisefool


 
Reply With Quote
 
wisefool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
wisefool said:
> neil said:
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:10:49 -0000, "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> neil said:
>>>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a
>>>>> user clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to
>>>>> the description of that specific one.
>>>>>
>>>>> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create
>>>>> something like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the
>>>>> diagram is amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any
>>>>> suggestions?
>>>>>
>>>>> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the
>>>>> computer.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
>>>>
>>>> I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each
>>>> box using a url.
>>>>
>>>> Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to
>>>> link them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or
>>>> would there be another solution?
>>>
>>> What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
>>> PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
>>> HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
>>> and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
>>> 50 files.
>>>
>>>>
>>>> All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives
>>>> the description when you click on the box, if you know what I mean.
>>>

>>
>> It's mostly for the future usage, so they can maintain and amend the
>> diagram themselves without the need for them learning html and having
>> their time wasted creating another 50 or so web files everytime there
>> is a new diagram or changes to the previous one.
>>
>> I don't have a problem with creating 50 odd html files, cause it's
>> basically doing it once then c/p the rest. But that what I said
>> before is the only thing that worries me.

>
> How long are your description texts? Would a "tool-tip" kind of thing
> do the trick? You can get a DHTML coder to do this for you as a one
> off. You might be able to use my crazy Word macro recording
> technique in the other post to automate conversion from the Visio
> HTML output to HTML with tool-tips.
>
> wisefool

It is also possible to embed JavaScript code in your main HTML diagram
page which "writes HTML" on the fly into a new window, but I wouldn't
recommend this as the new window would be a "popup" window and
increasingly people have software which do not display popups.

The other alternative is to use frames:

| |
|
| <main diagram> | <sidebar for desc> |
| |
|

Have an HTML frameset file something like:

<html>
<head>
<title>Frames Example</title>
</head>
<frameset COLS="80%,*">
<frame SRC="main-diagram.html" NAME="main-diagram">
<frame SRC="initial-description.html" NAME="description">
<noframes>
<body>
This text will appear only if the browser does not support
frames.
</body>
</noframes>
</frameset>
</html>

and put TARGET="description" in the hyperlinks in the diagram to
load the descriptions in the right hand frame.

wisefool


 
Reply With Quote
 
wisefool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
wisefool said:
> wisefool said:
>> neil said:
>>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:10:49 -0000, "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> neil said:
>>>>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:02:40 +0000, neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Creating a diagram, you have various boxes connected up. When a
>>>>>> user clicks on the box from the diagram it will take him/her to
>>>>>> the description of that specific one.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I was just wondering what would be the best way to create
>>>>>> something like this, HTML? I was thinking HTML but what if the
>>>>>> diagram is amended in the future, that may be a big hassle. Any
>>>>>> suggestions?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Preferabley will have web access and be able to use on the
>>>>>> computer.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks wisefool for all that advice.
>>>>>
>>>>> I just found out that visio can convert into html, and link each
>>>>> box using a url.
>>>>>
>>>>> Now I was just wondering would there be a more convenient way to
>>>>> link them apart from creating over 50 HTML files? PHP & mySQL or
>>>>> would there be another solution?
>>>>
>>>> What's the big deal with creating 50 files? I wouldn't bother with
>>>> PHP and mySQL unless you are regularly creating loads of new
>>>> HTML files over a period of time. I mean by all means use PHP
>>>> and either mySQL or flat files, but don't learn PHP just for making
>>>> 50 files.
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> All I basically want is a seperate little table/window that gives
>>>>> the description when you click on the box, if you know what I
>>>>> mean.
>>>>
>>>
>>> It's mostly for the future usage, so they can maintain and amend the
>>> diagram themselves without the need for them learning html and
>>> having their time wasted creating another 50 or so web files
>>> everytime there is a new diagram or changes to the previous one.
>>>
>>> I don't have a problem with creating 50 odd html files, cause it's
>>> basically doing it once then c/p the rest. But that what I said
>>> before is the only thing that worries me.

>>
>> How long are your description texts? Would a "tool-tip" kind of
>> thing do the trick? You can get a DHTML coder to do this for you as
>> a one off. You might be able to use my crazy Word macro recording
>> technique in the other post to automate conversion from the Visio
>> HTML output to HTML with tool-tips.
>>
>> wisefool

> It is also possible to embed JavaScript code in your main HTML diagram
> page which "writes HTML" on the fly into a new window, but I wouldn't
> recommend this as the new window would be a "popup" window and
> increasingly people have software which do not display popups.
>
> The other alternative is to use frames:
>
>> |
>>
>> <main diagram> | <sidebar for desc> |
>> |
>>

>
> Have an HTML frameset file something like:
>
> <html>
> <head>
> <title>Frames Example</title>
> </head>
> <frameset COLS="80%,*">
> <frame SRC="main-diagram.html" NAME="main-diagram">
> <frame SRC="initial-description.html" NAME="description">
> <noframes>
> <body>
> This text will appear only if the browser does not
> support frames.
> </body>
> </noframes>
> </frameset>
> </html>
>
> and put TARGET="description" in the hyperlinks in the diagram to
> load the descriptions in the right hand frame.

Or yes, you can display descriptions in the main diagram HTML page itself
(changing the text of paragraphs and headings on the page can be done with
JavaScript) on modern graphical browsers only.

Again knowledge of JavaScript and DHTML required.
>
> wisefool



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
modelling a FIFO in VHDL fpgawizz VHDL 4 03-10-2010 10:09 AM
Modelling real life components in VHDL Moikel VHDL 6 02-11-2006 01:00 PM
VHDL modelling USB device ALuPin VHDL 2 09-07-2004 06:34 AM
Modelling question Luc Van Biervliet Java 1 04-05-2004 04:13 AM
Diagram modelling question neil Computer Support 1 01-21-2004 02:37 AM



Advertisments