Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Are you feeling old

Are you feeling old

Bigfred

Are you feeling old?...

> [...]
> to deal with it all.
>
> And you're one of them. Congratulations!
>
> Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as real kids,
> before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.
> For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read
> about us.
>
> This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a
> smile on your face.
>
> The majority of students in universities today were born in
> 1983........
>
> They are called youth. They have never heard of We are the World, We
> are the children, and the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy
> Joel. They have
> never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena or Belinda
> Carlisle. For them, there has always been only one Germany and one
> Vietnam.
>
> AIDS has existed since they were born.
>
> CD's have existed since they were born.
>
> Michael Jackson has always been white.
>
> To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't
> imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.
>
> They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are just new
> films out last year.
>
> They think that N-Trance "set you free" is an Old Skool song.
>
> They can never imagine life before computers.
>
> They've never heard of Pac-Man or Space Invaders or BBC computers that
> have Bat n Ball
> games.
>
> They'll never have thought Jazz was the sexiest aftershave ever.
>
> They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, Red Hand Gang or the
> Famous Five.
>
> They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't You.
>
> They can't believe a black and white television ever existed and don't
> even know how to switch on a TV without a remote control.
>
> And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a
> mobile phone!
>
> Now let's check if we're getting old...
> 1. You understand what was written above and you smile.
> 2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a
> night out.
> 3. Your friends are all married.
> 4. You are always surprised to see small children playing
> comfortably with
> computers.
> 5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your
> head.
> 6. You've developed more and more feelings about your work. It's
> now your life.
> 7. You spend less and less time talking on phone with your
> friends
> 8. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the
> good old days, repeating again and again all funny stories you have
> experienced
> together.
> 9. Having read this mail, you are thinking of forwarding it to
> some other friends because you think they will like it too...

philo

> [...]
> > up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although
> > we
> > were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes out, nor did
> > the live stuff
> > live inside us forever. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats
> > by only the hood.
> > Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.
> > The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.
> > They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!
> > This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem
> > solvers and
> > inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation
> > and new ideas.
> >
> > We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how
> > to deal with it all.
> >
> > And you're one of them. Congratulations!

<snipped>

yep that all sounds pretty familiar...

I think that I really had a wakening when I was on a plane once
and there was a 9 year old boy sitting next to me.
Out the windows was a nice full moon.

So i said to him: "You think there's a man in the moon?"

He never even looked out the window...he just looked over at me
like I must have been the stupidest person on Earth and sneered.
"The moon is nothing but a dead rock, mister !!!!"

He also told me (and he wasn't BSing)...that his *grandfather* was an
austronaut. (One of the ones that had gotten killed)

Wow...I think I felt older than the moon at that point!

Kenny Cargill

WHAT IS OLD?????

"OLD" IS WHEN... Your sweetie says, "Let's go upstairs
and make love," and you answer, "Pick one, I can't do
both!"
"OLD" IS WHEN.. Your friends compliment you on your
new alligator shoes and you're barefoot.
"OLD" IS WHEN.... A sexy babe catches your eye and
your pacemaker opens the garage door.
"OLD" IS WHEN... Going bra-less pulls all the wrinkles
out of your face.
"OLD" IS WHEN. You don't care where your spouse goes,
just as long as you don't have to go along.
"OLD" IS WHEN..... You are cautioned to slow down by
the doctor instead of by the police.
"OLD" IS WHEN..... "Getting a little action" means I
don't need to take any fiber today.
"OLD" IS WHEN..... "Getting lucky" means you find your
car in the parking lot.
"OLD" IS WHEN..... An "all-nighter" means not getting
up to pee.

--

Kenny

"Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs."

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> > > and new ideas.
> > >
> > > We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

how
> > > to deal with it all.
> > >
> > > And you're one of them. Congratulations!

> <snipped>
>
> yep that all sounds pretty familiar...
>
> I think that I really had a wakening when I was on a plane once
> and there was a 9 year old boy sitting next to me.
> Out the windows was a nice full moon.
>
> So i said to him: "You think there's a man in the moon?"
>
> He never even looked out the window...he just looked over at me
> like I must have been the stupidest person on Earth and sneered.
> "The moon is nothing but a dead rock, mister !!!!"
>
> He also told me (and he wasn't BSing)...that his *grandfather* was an
> austronaut. (One of the ones that had gotten killed)
>
> Wow...I think I felt older than the moon at that point!

Tim

Bigfred wrote:
> Are you feeling old?...

It's better than the alternative.

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

Tim wrote:

>>Are you feeling old?...

> It's better than the alternative.

"Life is wasted on the living!" - The Master
Doctor Who - Fox Pilot Movie

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)