Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Files appearing in reverse alpabetical order in folder widows and save ans open dialog boxes. WIN98SE

Reply
Thread Tools

Files appearing in reverse alpabetical order in folder widows and save ans open dialog boxes. WIN98SE

 
 
nemo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2004
A few months ago, the Details view in folder windows stopped working. I just
get a bank field with a blank grey bar along the top. A bit of a nuisance
but not a disaster. List remained OK wich is the view I always use.

Yesterday things got worse with files appearing in reverse order in the List
view.

With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others, going
from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some folders
nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in alphabetical
order.

I'm running WIN98SE on an old Dell Dimension XPS H226.

The trouble started when I was using Photoshop 6, which struggles a bit with
my 64M of memory but has never caused any real trouble before.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Nemo.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2004
It's conceivable that using Photoshop 6 on an old system,
with only 64 MB of RAM has pharked your registry. There
is no cure, since you said this problems is a few months
old. If this is the case, you're looking at a reinstall.


On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:29:42 GMT, in
<W6XOb.51612$(E-Mail Removed)>
nemo scrawled:

>A few months ago, the Details view in folder windows stopped working. I just
>get a bank field with a blank grey bar along the top. A bit of a nuisance
>but not a disaster. List remained OK wich is the view I always use.
>
>Yesterday things got worse with files appearing in reverse order in the List
>view.
>
>With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others, going
>from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some folders
>nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in alphabetical
>order.
>
>I'm running WIN98SE on an old Dell Dimension XPS H226.
>
>The trouble started when I was using Photoshop 6, which struggles a bit with
>my 64M of memory but has never caused any real trouble before.
>
>Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>
>Nemo.
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2004
nemo wrote:

> With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others, going
> from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some folders
> nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in alphabetical
> order.


Not that you don't have some deep problems, but as a temporary fix, does
"nothing" include clicking the Name column header?

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
Happily slrning again.
 
Reply With Quote
 
nemo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2004

Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> nemo wrote:
>
> > With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others,

going
> > from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some

folders
> > nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in

alphabetical
> > order.

>
> Not that you don't have some deep problems, but as a temporary fix, does
> "nothing" include clicking the Name column header?
>
> --
> Blinky Linux RU 4892F
> Happily slrning again.


In Details view, there are no column headers, just a plain grey band with no
dividers or headings.
Nemo


 
Reply With Quote
 
nemo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2004
Many thanks. I thought that a re-install might be the case.

Trouble is: I'll have to back everything up on an old, temprimental CD
burner first. Still - can't be helped.
Nemo


°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's conceivable that using Photoshop 6 on an old system,
> with only 64 MB of RAM has pharked your registry. There
> is no cure, since you said this problems is a few months
> old. If this is the case, you're looking at a reinstall.
>
>
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:29:42 GMT, in
> <W6XOb.51612$(E-Mail Removed)>
> nemo scrawled:
>
> >A few months ago, the Details view in folder windows stopped working. I

just
> >get a bank field with a blank grey bar along the top. A bit of a nuisance
> >but not a disaster. List remained OK wich is the view I always use.
> >
> >Yesterday things got worse with files appearing in reverse order in the

List
> >view.
> >
> >With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others,

going
> >from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some

folders
> >nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in

alphabetical
> >order.
> >
> >I'm running WIN98SE on an old Dell Dimension XPS H226.
> >
> >The trouble started when I was using Photoshop 6, which struggles a bit

with
> >my 64M of memory but has never caused any real trouble before.
> >
> >Any ideas would be much appreciated.
> >
> >Nemo.
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
nemo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2004
Just got this from Joe on news:alt.windows98

> To get the columns back, click the right-hand pane to activate, then
> press the Ctrl and + keys. (Use the + on the numeric keypad.) Then you
> should be able to change the sort orders.
>


Then clicking the top of the Name column re-orders the files and they seem
to stay there - except in various programs' dialogue boxes, where they
revert to reverse next time I open the program.

Odd. There's nothing about this in the two huge books on WIN98 I've got. It
worked though - almost.

Might still do a re-install though as this is still a nuisance - after
spending all day doing a backup on an ancient *2 CD-ROM burner that is!

Nemo.


°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's conceivable that using Photoshop 6 on an old system,
> with only 64 MB of RAM has pharked your registry. There
> is no cure, since you said this problems is a few months
> old. If this is the case, you're looking at a reinstall.
>
>
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:29:42 GMT, in
> <W6XOb.51612$(E-Mail Removed)>
> nemo scrawled:
>
> >A few months ago, the Details view in folder windows stopped working. I

just
> >get a bank field with a blank grey bar along the top. A bit of a nuisance
> >but not a disaster. List remained OK wich is the view I always use.
> >
> >Yesterday things got worse with files appearing in reverse order in the

List
> >view.
> >
> >With some folders, hitting f5 refresh re-orders the files, on others,

going
> >from Details back to List and hitting f5 does the trick, and on some

folders
> >nothing at all will make them go back to showing the files in

alphabetical
> >order.
> >
> >I'm running WIN98SE on an old Dell Dimension XPS H226.
> >
> >The trouble started when I was using Photoshop 6, which struggles a bit

with
> >my 64M of memory but has never caused any real trouble before.
> >
> >Any ideas would be much appreciated.
> >
> >Nemo.
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open & Save dialog box shows files in reverse alphabetic order (Z-A) John Stubbs Computer Support 17 11-25-2009 02:30 PM
Very frustrated need ans right ans fast kent42c MCDST 4 11-21-2005 05:02 PM
Help!!! win98se open/save dialog bizarreness abounds! Ralph Computer Support 1 05-20-2004 02:45 AM
Help!! win98se file open/save dialog not sorting correctly, won't'stick' Ralph Computer Support 1 05-18-2004 08:12 AM
Files appearing in reverse alphabetical order - More nemo Computer Support 1 02-01-2004 08:47 PM



Advertisments