Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AVG 6.0 difficulties - Virus/worms getting through.

AVG 6.0 difficulties - Virus/worms getting through.

P Watkins

Hi Can anyone help?

Recently gone broadband and have installed free edition of AVG.
However, i keep getting alerts about Randex.R, LovegateF. and Backdoor
RIC.AQ.

I'm then invited to run the test and it detects OK - putting them in
the vaukt.
My query is. Why do they get through in the first place? AVg is always
on. I always keep the updates current. Maybe I've got it setup wrong
but the centre 'home' page advises that all systems are 'protected'.
Help. Should I ditch AVG ad go for an alternative AV suite - paid or
free?

Hope you can help

Paul

Joe Schmo

I ditched AVG for this free one,and so far it seems to be much better

"P Watkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi Can anyone help?
>
> Recently gone broadband and have installed free edition of AVG.
> However, i keep getting alerts about Randex.R, LovegateF. and Backdoor
> RIC.AQ.
>
> I'm then invited to run the test and it detects OK - putting them in
> the vaukt.
> My query is. Why do they get through in the first place? AVg is always
> on. I always keep the updates current. Maybe I've got it setup wrong
> but the centre 'home' page advises that all systems are 'protected'.
> Help. Should I ditch AVG ad go for an alternative AV suite - paid or
> free?
>
> Hope you can help
>
> Paul

CJ

Hi,

AVG is not designed to stop viruses getting through it just alerts you
to the presence of viruses and lets you do something about them. It will
try to repair a file of viruses it knows about but if it can't it gets
you to put them in the vault (quarantine) for manual removal/deletion of
the infected file so it doesn't infect your computer. AVG is working as
it is picking up viruses and protecting you by not leting them run on
your PC. If I send you an infected file it will still reach you but AVG
warns you about it so you do something about it. I have PC-cillin and
like AVG it alerts me when a file I receive has a virus so I can delete
it. I presume you have a firewall installed as you are on Broadband?

I hope this is not a real e-maill address you have posted with as that
will guarantee you will get un-wanted apam?

CJ

"P Watkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi Can anyone help?
>
> Recently gone broadband and have installed free edition of AVG.
> However, i keep getting alerts about Randex.R, LovegateF. and Backdoor
> RIC.AQ.
>
> I'm then invited to run the test and it detects OK - putting them in
> the vaukt.
> My query is. Why do they get through in the first place? AVg is always
> on. I always keep the updates current. Maybe I've got it setup wrong
> but the centre 'home' page advises that all systems are 'protected'.
> Help. Should I ditch AVG ad go for an alternative AV suite - paid or
> free?
>
> Hope you can help
>
> Paul

Mike