Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linux - Speedtouch USB modem drivers download.

Linux - Speedtouch USB modem drivers download.

KeithS

As part of the continuing struggle to get my Alcatel Speedtouch 330
USB ADSL modem to connect in Linux, I'm trying to get a bundled driver
package (Speedbundle) from
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/download/index.html

This (sometimes!) takes me to
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/l...ar.gz?download, a
list of mirror sites for this package. However, not one of these seems
willing to send the file. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone else
get it?

Any help & advice gratefully received

KeithS

Gary G. Taylor

KeithS wrote:

> As part of the continuing struggle to get my Alcatel Speedtouch 330
> USB ADSL modem to connect in Linux, I'm trying to get a bundled driver
> package (Speedbundle) from
> http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/download/index.html
>
> This (sometimes!) takes me to

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/l...ar.gz?download,
> a list of mirror sites for this package. However, not one of these seems
> willing to send the file. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone else
> get it?
>
> Any help & advice gratefully received
>
> KeithS

Usually support for modems is a kernel module, and that's where you should
be looking.

However ... USB ADSL modems suck rutabagas, poorly. Your real solution is to
dump that thing and get one which talks Ethernet.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

KeithS

"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsqQOb.13187$(E-Mail Removed). com
>> However ... USB ADSL modems suck rutabagas, poorly. Your real

> solution is to dump that thing and get one which talks Ethernet.

Really am beginning to think so too, only had the thing for 3 months
too!

KeithS

KeithS

"B.Al.Zeebub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Why are you trying to set it up as a usb device? If your motherboard
> supports LAN use that or get a NIC.

Agreed, but see my reply to Gary, above

Knowing the distribution might
> also
> help a little bit. Here's a hint: Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, Gentoo
> and
> Debian will support it 'out of the box' that way.

Suse, not that the installation from Speedbundle is distro-specific.

KeithS

"B.Al.Zeebub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bugqu3$hqh9q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de
> Curious. That's a kernel module you're trying to download.

See http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/Spe...oad/index.html
for a more detailed description

I have a
> Thompson Speedtouch 330 hooked up through ethernet and its worked
> fine with every distro I've installed on the spare box. It might be
> time to pitch it and check the HCL. Incidently, Mandrake 9.1 & 9.2
> support the Alcatel Speedtouch 330 usb modem, you could try dual
> booting.

Hey, c'mon, you're talking to a Linux newbie here! I think the
pitch it suggestion is my best bet

KeithS

B.Al.Zeebub

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:05:23 +0000, KeithS pecked at a keyboard in panic:

> As part of the continuing struggle to get my Alcatel Speedtouch 330
> USB ADSL modem to connect in Linux, I'm trying to get a bundled driver
> package (Speedbundle) from
> http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/download/index.html
>
> This (sometimes!) takes me to
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/l...ar.gz?download, a
> list of mirror sites for this package. However, not one of these seems
> willing to send the file. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone else
> get it?
>
> Any help & advice gratefully received
>
> Keith

Why are you trying to set it up as a usb device? If your motherboard
supports LAN use that or get a NIC. Knowing the distribution might also
help a little bit. Here's a hint: Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, Gentoo and
Debian will support it 'out of the box' that way.

--
B.Al.Zeebub
Registered Linux User #339345
Defenestrate Windows!

B.Al.Zeebub

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:22:01 +0000, KeithS pecked at a keyboard in panic:

> "B.Al.Zeebub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Why are you trying to set it up as a usb device? If your motherboard
>> supports LAN use that or get a NIC.

> Agreed, but see my reply to Gary, above
>
> Knowing the distribution might
>> also
>> help a little bit. Here's a hint: Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse, Gentoo
>> and
>> Debian will support it 'out of the box' that way.

> Suse, not that the installation from Speedbundle is distro-specific.

Curious. That's a kernel module you're trying to download. I have a
Thompson Speedtouch 330 hooked up through ethernet and its worked fine
with every distro I've installed on the spare box. It might be time to
pitch it and check the HCL. Incidently, Mandrake 9.1 & 9.2 support the
Alcatel Speedtouch 330 usb modem, you could try dual booting.

--
B.Al.Zeebub
Registered Linux User #339345
Defenestrate Windows!

B.Al.Zeebub

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:22:01 +0000, KeithS pecked at a keyboard in panic:

> Suse, not that the installation from Speedbundle is distro-specific.

Instead of a kernel patch, have you thought about downloading kernel
2.6.1? Thought of that after I posted.

--
B.Al.Zeebub
Registered Linux User #339345
Defenestrate Windows!

B.Al.Zeebub

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:24:55 +0000, KeithS pecked at a keyboard in panic:

> "B.Al.Zeebub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bugqu3$hqh9q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de
>> Curious. That's a kernel module you're trying to download.

> See http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/Spe...oad/index.html
> for a more detailed description

Oops, my mistake.

> I have a
>> Thompson Speedtouch 330 hooked up through ethernet and its worked
>> fine with every distro I've installed on the spare box. It might be
>> time to pitch it and check the HCL. Incidently, Mandrake 9.1 & 9.2
>> support the Alcatel Speedtouch 330 usb modem, you could try dual
>> booting.

> Hey, c'mon, you're talking to a Linux newbie here! I think the
> pitch it suggestion is my best bet
>
> KeithS

Aw, c'mon it shouldn't be too hard. Install the new distro after /home in
a seperate partition(s) and install the lilo bootloader for that in its /.
Then edit your current lilo.conf file something like this to include the
new OS.

map=/boot/map
vga=normal
default="linux-smp"
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="linux"
root=/dev/hda2
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
vga=791
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-smp
label="linux-smp"
root=/dev/hda2
initrd=/boot/initrd-smp.img
append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
vga=791
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="failsafe"
root=/dev/hda2
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht"
read-only
#image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="other sparkly new OS"
root=/dev/hda7
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
vga=791
read-only

Cheers, and good luck with the modem.