Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Somewhat OT: Best way to Advert a buisness?

Somewhat OT: Best way to Advert a buisness?

Here's something I've been wondering. What form of advertising attracts the
most customers?
In the past two years we've been in buisness, we have three customers for
my website buisness, and they are all f riends helping out. I've been
basically relying on word of mouth to help attract buisness, but so far that
hasn't helped. Unfortunatly, I'm not trained in the art of buisness, and
am learning as I go along, so I was wondering what the most affective form
of advertising for a website buisness is? So far, as stated, word of mouth
is not working so well in my favor. I figured I'd have at least 20 new
customers a year if I'm lucky, but I'm no where near that amount.

Any help will be appreciated,
Neil
www.entservers.com Shameless plug .

°Mike°

Television.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:45:10 GMT, in
<aUEOb.25879$(E-Mail Removed) m>
<(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

>Here's something I've been wondering. What form of advertising attracts the
>most customers?

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

trout

> Here's something I've been wondering. What form of advertising
> attracts the most customers?
> In the past two years we've been in buisness, we have three
> customers for my website buisness, and they are all f riends helping
> out. I've been basically relying on word of mouth to help attract
> buisness, but so far that hasn't helped. Unfortunatly, I'm not
> trained in the art of buisness, and am learning as I go along, so I
> was wondering what the most affective form of advertising for a
> website buisness is? So far, as stated, word of mouth is not working
> so well in my favor. I figured I'd have at least 20 new customers a
> year if I'm lucky, but I'm no where near that amount.
>
> Any help will be appreciated,
> Neil

I see that you participate fairly regularly in some Usenet groups.
There's no reason you can't have a brief (no more than 4 lines) mention
of your site in a *properly delimited* signature. That is; at the end of
the post, separated by 'dash dash space (hard return)'.
Some people will use Google Groups to search for a topic in which
your service is a *legitimate* answer to a problem or question.
Be sure to familiarize yourself with the individual group, first,
though; to see if this sort of thing is considered to be acceptable.
--
"Even the slightest smell of spam never washes off."

Blinky the Shark

TheShredder1 wrote:

> Here's something I've been wondering. What form of advertising attracts the
> most customers?

Television.

Check out alt.www.webmaster.

--
Blinky Registered Linux User #297263

Harrison

I run a computer and networking support business for small businesses
and home offices.
My best responses have been through going around and personally
introducing myself and leaving a card.
I've also had good results with some recent direct mailings.
The primary thing is to figure out who your market is, and then focus
your efforts where they are most likely to notice you.
Sounds simple, and it can be, but it's never really easy.

You mentioned word of mouth. Take that to the next level and offer
discounts or rewards to existing customers who lead you to new
customers.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:45:10 GMT, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Here's something I've been wondering. What form of advertising attracts the
>most customers?
> In the past two years we've been in buisness, we have three customers for
>my website buisness, and they are all f riends helping out. I've been
>basically relying on word of mouth to help attract buisness, but so far that
>hasn't helped. Unfortunatly, I'm not trained in the art of buisness, and
>am learning as I go along, so I was wondering what the most affective form
>of advertising for a website buisness is? So far, as stated, word of mouth
>is not working so well in my favor. I figured I'd have at least 20 new
>customers a year if I'm lucky, but I'm no where near that amount.
>
>Any help will be appreciated,
>Neil
>www.entservers.com Shameless plug .

Paul - xxx

(E-Mail Removed) posted ...

> Here's something I've been wondering. What form of advertising
> attracts the most customers?

Television.

> In the past two years we've been in buisness, we have three
> customers for my website buisness, and they are all f riends helping
> out. I've been basically relying on word of mouth to help attract
> buisness, but so far that hasn't helped. Unfortunatly, I'm not
> trained in the art of buisness, and am learning as I go along, so I
> was wondering what the most affective form of advertising for a
> website buisness is? So far, as stated, word of mouth is not working
> so well in my favor. I figured I'd have at least 20 new customers a
> year if I'm lucky, but I'm no where near that amount.

errrrr .. decent use of spelling, punctuation and grammar goes a long way to
creating a feeling of professionalism, and is a basic pre-requisite for most
business enterprises if they want to carry on, particularly those which
demand a high degree of accuracy, such as those which deal with website
names, addresses etc etc.

--
Paul