Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > connect adsl external modem to internet

connect adsl external modem to internet

kev

Hi,
I'm having real problems with this, but then again I am a newbie.

Right, have connected my conexant modem to my laptop with Ethernet ports,
typing the ipaddress into the address by opens a webpage with settings on -
all of which are correct.

but when I type a web address in I get nothing.

can anyone help, or point by to a good beginners guide to networking etc...

thanks

kevin

°Mike°

Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

http://www.wown.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:59:14 -0000, in
<bueoij$mcm$(E-Mail Removed)>
kev scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

kev wrote:

> Right, have connected my conexant modem to my laptop with Ethernet ports,
> typing the ipaddress into the address by opens a webpage with settings on -
> all of which are correct.

(BLINK) Uhhh... See if I got this right:
Modem connects via Ethernet Cable to Computer.
You open web browser and give it a specific IP to look at the modem's
settings - all settings look good.

> but when I type a web address in I get nothing.

Make sure the modem's getting a connection to your ISP first.

What kind of error are you getting, btw?

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)