Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > router vs hub

router vs hub

claude nine

I have two computers both running WinXP successfully hooked up to he
internet through a 10 port hub. I want to switch to a 4port router,
but one computer cannot access the net through the router. There is
no software on the reluctant computer that is not on the good guy,
and the computer internals are identical. Any ideas what I am doing
wrong?

Thanks

claude nine

forgot to say that they are wired, not wireless.

Win

one copmputer is talking to the other computer when it should be talting to
the router
The documentation should explaine how to set up the router
just do it on both P.C's

"claude nine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have two computers both running WinXP successfully hooked up to he
> internet through a 10 port hub. I want to switch to a 4port router,
> but one computer cannot access the net through the router. There is
> no software on the reluctant computer that is not on the good guy,
> and the computer internals are identical. Any ideas what I am doing
> wrong?
>
> Thanks

claude nine

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:24:03 +1300, "Win" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>one copmputer is talking to the other computer when it should be talting to
>the router
>The documentation should explaine how to set up the router
>just do it on both P.C's
>
>"claude nine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have two computers both running WinXP successfully hooked up to he
>> internet through a 10 port hub. I want to switch to a 4port router,
>> but one computer cannot access the net through the router. There is
>> no software on the reluctant computer that is not on the good guy,
>> and the computer internals are identical. Any ideas what I am doing
>> wrong?
>>
>> Thanks

Thanks for that, Win. Just lazy, I guess.

Harrison

According to the headers, you are on shaw.ca, a broadband provider.
Most broadband providers issue one IP address per customer.
The router needs to use that IP to establish communications with the
external network. Therefore, the router must also be configured to
issue internal IP addresses to the LAN clients.
My guess would be that the router is not properly configured to
administer DHCP to the internal network.

You could also try plugging the Internet connection into one of the
switched ports on the router instead of the one labeled "Internet or
WAN". If it worked before through using a hub, it should work the same
way through the router, which in this instance would be used as a
switch.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:06:55 GMT, claude nine
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have two computers both running WinXP successfully hooked up to he
>internet through a 10 port hub. I want to switch to a 4port router,
>but one computer cannot access the net through the router. There is
>no software on the reluctant computer that is not on the good guy,
>and the computer internals are identical. Any ideas what I am doing
>wrong?
>
>Thanks

claude nine

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:42:28 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>According to the headers, you are on shaw.ca, a broadband provider.
>Most broadband providers issue one IP address per customer.
>The router needs to use that IP to establish communications with the
>external network. Therefore, the router must also be configured to
>issue internal IP addresses to the LAN clients.
>My guess would be that the router is not properly configured to
>administer DHCP to the internal network.
>
>You could also try plugging the Internet connection into one of the
>switched ports on the router instead of the one labeled "Internet or
>WAN". If it worked before through using a hub, it should work the same
>way through the router, which in this instance would be used as a
>switch.
>
>On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:06:55 GMT, claude nine
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have two computers both running WinXP successfully hooked up to he
>>internet through a 10 port hub. I want to switch to a 4port router,
>>but one computer cannot access the net through the router. There is
>>no software on the reluctant computer that is not on the good guy,
>>and the computer internals are identical. Any ideas what I am doing
>>wrong?
>>
>>Thanks

I connected a third computer to the hub, worked fine. Tried it on
the router - also worked there. Does the type of cable used have
any bearing on this action? The non-connect uses a crossover cable,
the new connect uses cable of a different type.

Harrison

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:37:44 GMT, claude nine
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:42:28 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>
>>According to the headers, you are on shaw.ca, a broadband provider.
>>Most broadband providers issue one IP address per customer.
>>The router needs to use that IP to establish communications with the
>>external network. Therefore, the router must also be configured to
>>issue internal IP addresses to the LAN clients.
>>My guess would be that the router is not properly configured to
>>administer DHCP to the internal network.
>>
>>You could also try plugging the Internet connection into one of the
>>switched ports on the router instead of the one labeled "Internet or
>>WAN". If it worked before through using a hub, it should work the same
>>way through the router, which in this instance would be used as a
>>switch.
>>
>>On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:06:55 GMT, claude nine
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have two computers both running WinXP successfully hooked up to he
>>>internet through a 10 port hub. I want to switch to a 4port router,
>>>but one computer cannot access the net through the router. There is
>>>no software on the reluctant computer that is not on the good guy,
>>>and the computer internals are identical. Any ideas what I am doing
>>>wrong?
>>>
>>>Thanks

>I connected a third computer to the hub, worked fine. Tried it on
>the router - also worked there. Does the type of cable used have
>any bearing on this action? The non-connect uses a crossover cable,
>the new connect uses cable of a different type.

Yes, it has great bearing, unless you're using a Mac.
Connecting a computer to a hub or switch requires a straight cable,
not a crossover. Crossover cables are used to connect one pc to
another, among other things.

claude nine

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:20:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:37:44 GMT, claude nine
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:42:28 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>>
>>>According to the headers, you are on shaw.ca, a broadband provider.
>>>Most broadband providers issue one IP address per customer.
>>>The router needs to use that IP to establish communications with the
>>>external network. Therefore, the router must also be configured to
>>>issue internal IP addresses to the LAN clients.
>>>My guess would be that the router is not properly configured to
>>>administer DHCP to the internal network.
>>>
>>>You could also try plugging the Internet connection into one of the
>>>switched ports on the router instead of the one labeled "Internet or
>>>WAN". If it worked before through using a hub, it should work the same
>>>way through the router, which in this instance would be used as a
>>>switch.

>>I connected a third computer to the hub, worked fine. Tried it on
>>the router - also worked there. Does the type of cable used have
>>any bearing on this action? The non-connect uses a crossover cable,
>>the new connect uses cable of a different type.

>Yes, it has great bearing, unless you're using a Mac.
>Connecting a computer to a hub or switch requires a straight cable,
>not a crossover. Crossover cables are used to connect one pc to
>another, among other things.

This thing is strange. The two originally connected to the hub were
both using crossover cables. When they connected to the router,
both using crossover, only one would not connect. It has a longer
run than the connected - would that account for the success of the
connected one?

Harrison

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:43:25 GMT, claude nine
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:20:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:37:44 GMT, claude nine
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I connected a third computer to the hub, worked fine. Tried it on
>>>the router - also worked there. Does the type of cable used have
>>>any bearing on this action? The non-connect uses a crossover cable,
>>>the new connect uses cable of a different type.

>>Yes, it has great bearing, unless you're using a Mac.
>>Connecting a computer to a hub or switch requires a straight cable,
>>not a crossover. Crossover cables are used to connect one pc to
>>another, among other things.

>This thing is strange. The two originally connected to the hub were
>both using crossover cables. When they connected to the router,
>both using crossover, only one would not connect. It has a longer
>run than the connected - would that account for the success of the
>connected one?

Not unless the run exceeds 100 meters (roughly 300 ft.).
That is the distance limitation of Ethernet.
Visit www.practicallynetworked.com to learn more about Ethernet
networking, cabling, routers, switches, hubs, etc.

claude nine

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:03:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:43:25 GMT, claude nine
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:20:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>>>Yes, it has great bearing, unless you're using a Mac.
>>>Connecting a computer to a hub or switch requires a straight cable,
>>>not a crossover. Crossover cables are used to connect one pc to
>>>another, among other things.

>>This thing is strange. The two originally connected to the hub were
>>both using crossover cables. When they connected to the router,
>>both using crossover, only one would not connect. It has a longer
>>run than the connected - would that account for the success of the
>>connected one?

>Not unless the run exceeds 100 meters (roughly 300 ft.).
>That is the distance limitation of Ethernet.
>Visit www.practicallynetworked.com to learn more about Ethernet
>networking, cabling, routers, switches, hubs, etc.

Thanks very much for your help - and thanks for that link.
Gotta learn more, I guess.