Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > router vs hub

router vs hub

Harrison

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:37:07 GMT, claude nine
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:03:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:43:25 GMT, claude nine
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>This thing is strange. The two originally connected to the hub were
>>>both using crossover cables. When they connected to the router,
>>>both using crossover, only one would not connect. It has a longer
>>>run than the connected - would that account for the success of the
>>>connected one?

>>Not unless the run exceeds 100 meters (roughly 300 ft.).
>>That is the distance limitation of Ethernet.
>>Visit www.practicallynetworked.com to learn more about Ethernet
>>networking, cabling, routers, switches, hubs, etc.

>Thanks very much for your help - and thanks for that link.
>Gotta learn more, I guess.

One day, it will just connect and work.
And I'll be out of a job

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"claude nine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> This thing is strange. The two originally connected to the hub were
> both using crossover cables. When they connected to the router,
> both using crossover, only one would not connect. It has a longer
> run than the connected - would that account for the success of the
> connected one?

Nope. ONE port on most hubs is built to have a cross over
internally. So if you plug into that with a crossover, it's the same as
using a straight through to a straight through port.

Unless the wiring is crazy .. then, if it's negotiating 100/Full,
and the hub was 10/half, that could do it.

RwP