Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Fatal exception in Atari Thomas the Tank Engine game

Fatal exception in Atari Thomas the Tank Engine game

erslket

I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.

It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on my
Windows 98 computer.

Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal), then I
get an error:

Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.

Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
restart.

I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
controller and they installed okay.

I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I get
the error no matter what.

My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
CDROM drive.

Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.

ICee

erslket wrote:
> I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
> Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.
>
> It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on my
> Windows 98 computer.
>
> Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal), then I
> get an error:
>
> Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.
>
> Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
> restart.
>
> I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
> controller and they installed okay.
>
> I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
> reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I get
> the error no matter what.
>
> My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
> processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
> CDROM drive.
>
> Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.

Does it require DX9 hardware?

°Mike°

<Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

What Are Fatal Exception Errors

Troubleshooting Fatal Exception Errors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=150314#1

Bad RAM Causes Fatal Exception Errors Running Windows 95-98

FATAL EXCEPTION ERRORS
http://aumha.org/win4/kbefe.htm

Fatal Exception 0E Errors
http://www.infinisource.com/techfile...0e-errors.html

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:15:11 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
erslket scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

AlanS

What are the game minimum requirements v what you have?

One cause of problem I've seen on these kids games a few times is the memory
requirement- it says 128Mb needed, and the user says I have 128Mb. It often
turns out that they have on-board graphics use part of the 128 Mb meaning
they don't have 128Mb of system memory. Does your machine have on-board
graphics? If so how much memory is it taking, and how much system memory do
you really have?

"erslket" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
> Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.
>
> It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on my
> Windows 98 computer.
>
> Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal), then I
> get an error:
>
> Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.
>
> Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
> restart.
>
> I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
> controller and they installed okay.
>
> I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
> reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I get
> the error no matter what.
>
> My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
> processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
> CDROM drive.
>
> Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.

Brian Gaff

Would it not complain before all that if it needed unfitted hardware, i
think it would!

Brian

--
Brian Gaff....
__________________________________

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| erslket wrote:
| > I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
| > Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.
| >
| > It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on my
| > Windows 98 computer.
| >
| > Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal), then I
| > get an error:
| >
| > Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.
| >
| > Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
| > restart.
| >
| > I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
| > controller and they installed okay.
| >
| > I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
| > reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I get
| > the error no matter what.
| >
| > My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
| > processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
| > CDROM drive.
| >
| > Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.
|
| Does it require DX9 hardware?

---

ICee

Brian Gaff wrote:
> Would it not complain before all that if it needed unfitted hardware,
> i think it would!
>
> Brian

Not necessarily.

> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> erslket wrote:
>>> I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
>>> Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.
>>>
>>> It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on
>>> my Windows 98 computer.
>>>
>>> Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal),
>>> then I get an error:
>>>
>>> Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.
>>>
>>> Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
>>> restart.
>>>
>>> I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
>>> controller and they installed okay.
>>>
>>> I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
>>> reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I
>>> get the error no matter what.
>>>
>>> My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
>>> processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
>>> CDROM drive.
>>>
>>> Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.

>> Does it require DX9 hardware?
>>

> ---

Douglas Adams

erslket

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:15:11 GMT, erslket <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
>Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.
>
>It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on my
>Windows 98 computer.
>
>Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal), then I
>get an error:
>
>Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.
>
>Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
>restart.
>
>I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
>controller and they installed okay.
>
>I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
>reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I get
>the error no matter what.
>
>My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
>processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
>CDROM drive.
>
>Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...96#post4573496
(long URL ending in #post4573496) has a more detailed description of
the problem that I posted to an atari support forum. Basically, I
think I have ample hardware horsepower for the game (for Pete's sake,
it's Thomas the Tank Engine!).

Although I did update the drivers for my graphics controllers (more
detailed info at ataricommunity link shown), I have not updated any
other drivers on my computer. I mean, if it comes down to my spending
three days trying to make a game we got at the library work on the
computer, well, my son's going to have to be a man about it! My
biggest concern is that there is a symptom here of a bigger problem on
my computer.

As I described in the ataricommunity post, there's one fishy thing
that I see. The game requires DirectX 9.0. It installed DirectX 9.0
from the CD on the first installation. Subsequent installations have
detected DirectX 9.0. Dxdiag also detects DirectX 9.0. BUT... the
"properties" dialog that comes up (right click desktop -> properties
-> intel graphics techology tab -> graphics properties button) tells
me I have DirectX 8.1. That just doesn't smell right to me!

Can someone read the ataricommunity post and the above information and
offer more help?

erslket

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:30:04 GMT, erslket <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:15:11 GMT, erslket <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
>>Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.
>>
>>It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on my
>>Windows 98 computer.
>>
>>Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal), then I
>>get an error:
>>
>>Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.
>>
>>Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
>>restart.
>>
>>I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
>>controller and they installed okay.
>>
>>I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
>>reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I get
>>the error no matter what.
>>
>>My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
>>processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
>>CDROM drive.
>>
>>Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.

>http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...96#post4573496
>(long URL ending in #post4573496) has a more detailed description of
>the problem that I posted to an atari support forum. Basically, I
>think I have ample hardware horsepower for the game (for Pete's sake,
>it's Thomas the Tank Engine!).
>
>Although I did update the drivers for my graphics controllers (more
>detailed info at ataricommunity link shown), I have not updated any
>other drivers on my computer. I mean, if it comes down to my spending
>three days trying to make a game we got at the library work on the
>computer, well, my son's going to have to be a man about it! My
>biggest concern is that there is a symptom here of a bigger problem on
>my computer.
>
>As I described in the ataricommunity post, there's one fishy thing
>that I see. The game requires DirectX 9.0. It installed DirectX 9.0
>from the CD on the first installation. Subsequent installations have
>detected DirectX 9.0. Dxdiag also detects DirectX 9.0. BUT... the
>"properties" dialog that comes up (right click desktop -> properties
>-> intel graphics techology tab -> graphics properties button) tells
>me I have DirectX 8.1. That just doesn't smell right to me!
>
>Can someone read the ataricommunity post and the above information and
>offer more help?

I apologize for my hyper-crossposting here, but someone in one of
these groups must have an answer...

The general problem is that in starting a computer game, I get a Fatal
exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.

My troubleshooting has me trying to figure out why Dxdiag detects that
I have DirectX 9.0, but the display graphics properties (see above in
this post for description) says that I have 8.1.

I just went to the Microsoft web site and downloaded and installed
DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902) and restarted my computer. Dxdiag
detects it. The display graphics properties do not - they say I'm
still on 8.1.

Why? (smaller problem)

Why the fatal exception (bigger problem)?

ICee

erslket wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:15:11 GMT, erslket <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
>> Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.
>>
>> It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on my
>> Windows 98 computer.
>>
>> Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal), then
>> I get an error:
>>
>> Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.
>>
>> Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
>> restart.
>>
>> I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
>> controller and they installed okay.
>>
>> I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
>> reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I
>> get the error no matter what.
>>
>> My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
>> processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
>> CDROM drive.
>>
>> Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...96#post4573496
> (long URL ending in #post4573496) has a more detailed description of
> the problem that I posted to an atari support forum. Basically, I
> think I have ample hardware horsepower for the game (for Pete's sake,
> it's Thomas the Tank Engine!).
>
> Although I did update the drivers for my graphics controllers (more
> detailed info at ataricommunity link shown), I have not updated any
> other drivers on my computer. I mean, if it comes down to my spending
> three days trying to make a game we got at the library work on the
> computer, well, my son's going to have to be a man about it! My
> biggest concern is that there is a symptom here of a bigger problem on
> my computer.
>
> As I described in the ataricommunity post, there's one fishy thing
> that I see. The game requires DirectX 9.0. It installed DirectX 9.0
> from the CD on the first installation. Subsequent installations have
> detected DirectX 9.0. Dxdiag also detects DirectX 9.0. BUT... the
> "properties" dialog that comes up (right click desktop -> properties
> -> intel graphics techology tab -> graphics properties button) tells
> me I have DirectX 8.1. That just doesn't smell right to me!
>
> Can someone read the ataricommunity post and the above information and
> offer more help?

Which game is it? On Atari's web site, I can find "Thomas & Friends:
Building the New Line", which requires hardware support for DX 8.1.
There are a couple others, but they require older versions of DirectX.

Is the file you downloaded from Intel for the new driver win9x67.zip?

jersie0

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:05:03 -0500, "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>erslket wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:15:11 GMT, erslket <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I just got and installed a new (copyright 2003) game on my computer,
>>> Thomas the Tank Engine Saves the Day.
>>>
>>> It requires DirectX 9.0, which it installed over my DirectX 8.1 on my
>>> Windows 98 computer.
>>>
>>> Every time I try to start the game, the screen blacks (normal), then
>>> I get an error:
>>>
>>> Fatal exception 0e at 0028:c179334e in VXD zzzzzzzz(01) + 0000234e.
>>>
>>> Always the same error, and then the computer is frozen and I need to
>>> restart.
>>>
>>> I have gone to Intel to download new drivers for my 82810E graphics
>>> controller and they installed okay.
>>>
>>> I have several times uninstalled the Thomas game, and I've tried
>>> reinstalling it in both minimal and recommended configurations. I
>>> get the error no matter what.
>>>
>>> My computer has enough horsepower for most of what I do - 550 MHz
>>> processor, 128 meg of memory, 5 gig available disk space, and an 8x
>>> CDROM drive.
>>>
>>> Any idea where the problem lies? And yes, I've cleaned the CD.

>http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...96#post4573496
>> (long URL ending in #post4573496) has a more detailed description of
>> the problem that I posted to an atari support forum. Basically, I
>> think I have ample hardware horsepower for the game (for Pete's sake,
>> it's Thomas the Tank Engine!).
>>
>> Although I did update the drivers for my graphics controllers (more
>> detailed info at ataricommunity link shown), I have not updated any
>> other drivers on my computer. I mean, if it comes down to my spending
>> three days trying to make a game we got at the library work on the
>> computer, well, my son's going to have to be a man about it! My
>> biggest concern is that there is a symptom here of a bigger problem on
>> my computer.
>>
>> As I described in the ataricommunity post, there's one fishy thing
>> that I see. The game requires DirectX 9.0. It installed DirectX 9.0
>> from the CD on the first installation. Subsequent installations have
>> detected DirectX 9.0. Dxdiag also detects DirectX 9.0. BUT... the
>> "properties" dialog that comes up (right click desktop -> properties
>> -> intel graphics techology tab -> graphics properties button) tells
>> me I have DirectX 8.1. That just doesn't smell right to me!
>>
>> Can someone read the ataricommunity post and the above information and
>> offer more help?

>Which game is it? On Atari's web site, I can find "Thomas & Friends:
>Building the New Line", which requires hardware support for DX 8.1.
>There are a couple others, but they require older versions of DirectX.
>
>Is the file you downloaded from Intel for the new driver win9x67.zip?

The game is called "Thomas Saves the Day."

The file I downloaded from Intel was win9xe67.exe