Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows ME

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows ME

 
 
Wayne Heigl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2004
Hi, In cleaning up a system with ME installed as the op system, I am
looking at the WINDOWS/TEMP folder and find 117mb of files and folders
contained in it. Also in this TEMP folder, is a TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES
folder with the 4 folders inside that contain the data for sites visited on
the internet. When I look at the C drive, WINDOWS directory, a TEMPORARY
INTERNET FILES folder is there also, containing cookies etc. While I am
used to deleting everything in the TEMP folder in general cleanups, I am
hesitant here as the handling of the TEMP INTERNET FILES folder is strange
at best. I guess I am looking for reasons why the internet cache is
included in the TEMP folder rather than the folder on C drive. I am not
sure about deleting these files but am confused about where they belong on
the ME op system. My reason tells me to take a time-out and ask.....so
anyone with info would be appreciated. Thanks. Wayne


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2004
At some point, Windows has lost track of where the TIF folder
is, or should be. Boot into Safe Mode, and open Control
Panel. Double click 'Internet Options' and press 'Delete
Files' -- be *sure* to check the box to include 'All offline
content'. Now, delete *everything* in the Windows\Temp
folder (including the TIF folder, and subfolders). Boot back
to normal mode.


On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:33:35 GMT, in
<3FZNb.62418$(E-Mail Removed)>
Wayne Heigl scrawled:

>Hi, In cleaning up a system with ME installed as the op system, I am
>looking at the WINDOWS/TEMP folder and find 117mb of files and folders
>contained in it. Also in this TEMP folder, is a TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES
>folder with the 4 folders inside that contain the data for sites visited on
>the internet. When I look at the C drive, WINDOWS directory, a TEMPORARY
>INTERNET FILES folder is there also, containing cookies etc. While I am
>used to deleting everything in the TEMP folder in general cleanups, I am
>hesitant here as the handling of the TEMP INTERNET FILES folder is strange
>at best. I guess I am looking for reasons why the internet cache is
>included in the TEMP folder rather than the folder on C drive. I am not
>sure about deleting these files but am confused about where they belong on
>the ME op system. My reason tells me to take a time-out and ask.....so
>anyone with info would be appreciated. Thanks. Wayne
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wayne Heigl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2004
thanks, I can see where you are going here, I'll do it.....wayne


"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At some point, Windows has lost track of where the TIF folder
> is, or should be. Boot into Safe Mode, and open Control
> Panel. Double click 'Internet Options' and press 'Delete
> Files' -- be *sure* to check the box to include 'All offline
> content'. Now, delete *everything* in the Windows\Temp
> folder (including the TIF folder, and subfolders). Boot back
> to normal mode.
>
>
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:33:35 GMT, in
> <3FZNb.62418$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Wayne Heigl scrawled:
>
> >Hi, In cleaning up a system with ME installed as the op system, I am
> >looking at the WINDOWS/TEMP folder and find 117mb of files and folders
> >contained in it. Also in this TEMP folder, is a TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES
> >folder with the 4 folders inside that contain the data for sites visited

on
> >the internet. When I look at the C drive, WINDOWS directory, a TEMPORARY
> >INTERNET FILES folder is there also, containing cookies etc. While I am
> >used to deleting everything in the TEMP folder in general cleanups, I am
> >hesitant here as the handling of the TEMP INTERNET FILES folder is

strange
> >at best. I guess I am looking for reasons why the internet cache is
> >included in the TEMP folder rather than the folder on C drive. I am not
> >sure about deleting these files but am confused about where they belong

on
> >the ME op system. My reason tells me to take a time-out and ask.....so
> >anyone with info would be appreciated. Thanks. Wayne
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-16-2004
You're welcome.


On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:42:10 GMT, in
<6NZNb.62419$(E-Mail Removed)>
Wayne Heigl scrawled:

>thanks, I can see where you are going here, I'll do it.....wayne
>
>
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> At some point, Windows has lost track of where the TIF folder
>> is, or should be. Boot into Safe Mode, and open Control
>> Panel. Double click 'Internet Options' and press 'Delete
>> Files' -- be *sure* to check the box to include 'All offline
>> content'. Now, delete *everything* in the Windows\Temp
>> folder (including the TIF folder, and subfolders). Boot back
>> to normal mode.

>


<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
!Windows Live Mail replace Outlook Express on Windows XP and Windows Mail on Vista... Max Burke NZ Computing 8 05-18-2007 12:10 AM
Windows XP Home Connected to Windows XP Pro via TCP/IP Armstrong Wong Wireless Networking 1 11-25-2004 01:12 PM
wireless ad-hoc with Windows XP and Windows 2000 =?Utf-8?B?ZHVtbWthdWY=?= Wireless Networking 1 09-23-2004 11:34 AM
Windows XP laptop and Windows 2000 desktop won't communicate =?Utf-8?B?UmlmbGVtYW4=?= Wireless Networking 0 08-19-2004 03:35 AM



Advertisments