Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How can I FAX from my PC?

How can I FAX from my PC?

Paul Hoberg

I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a FAX
capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there another
way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
advance for your help.
Paul

Unk

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:29:55 GMT, "Paul Hoberg" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a FAX
>capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there another
>way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
>dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
>advance for your help.
>Paul

You can't fax via Comcast cable modem unless you use a web-based service.
http://www.efax.com/

The modem in your laptop is probably a fax/modem. THAT you can use for
faxing. You just need the software, however you didn't state your OS.

Windows XP - Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
Add Windows Component, and check the box, "Fax Services", click next, and
follow the prompts.

Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.

Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in order to
function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows Messaging,
Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the full version, not
Express].")

Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us
folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read the wmw-fax.txt, in the same folder,
for more detailed information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)

After you install it, here's how to use it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q152196&

Blinky the Shark

Paul Hoberg wrote:

> I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a FAX
> capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there another
> way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
> dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
> advance for your help.
> Paul

What Unk said, and with respect to your laptop, WinFaxPro is a killer fax
application -- check it out if you go with the laptop/dialup.

--
Blinky Registered Linux User #297263

Paul Hoberg

Thanks, Unk. My laptop came with XP Home installed. I'll try what
you suggested, after confirming that it is indeed a FAX modem in the
computer. The suggestion to consider WinFax Pro is good, but free is
better, if it works.
Paul

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
wrote:

>I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a

FAX
>capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there

another
>way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
>dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
>advance for your help.
>Paul

You can't fax via Comcast cable modem unless you use a web-based
service.
http://www.efax.com/

The modem in your laptop is probably a fax/modem. THAT you can use for
faxing. You just need the software, however you didn't state your OS.

Windows XP - Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add or Remove
Programs,
Add Windows Component, and check the box, "Fax Services", click next,
and
follow the prompts.

Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.

Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in order to
function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows Messaging,
Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the full version, not
Express].")

Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to
Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us
folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read the wmw-fax.txt, in the same
folder,
for more detailed information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)

After you install it, here's how to use it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q152196&

Unk

You're welcome.

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:35:10 GMT, "Paul Hoberg" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks, Unk. My laptop came with XP Home installed. I'll try what
>you suggested, after confirming that it is indeed a FAX modem in the
>computer. The suggestion to consider WinFax Pro is good, but free is
>better, if it works.
>Paul
>
>"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:29:55 GMT, "Paul Hoberg"
><(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a

>FAX
>>capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there

>another
>>way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
>>dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
>>advance for your help.
>>Paul
>>

>You can't fax via Comcast cable modem unless you use a web-based
>service.
>http://www.efax.com/
>
>The modem in your laptop is probably a fax/modem. THAT you can use for
>faxing. You just need the software, however you didn't state your OS.
>

>Windows XP - Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add or Remove
>Programs,
>Add Windows Component, and check the box, "Fax Services", click next,
>and
>follow the prompts.
>

>Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
>to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.
>
>Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
>and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
>Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
>to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in order to
>function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows Messaging,
>Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the full version, not
>Express].")
>
>Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
>installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to
>Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us
>folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read the wmw-fax.txt, in the same
>folder,
>for more detailed information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)
>
>After you install it, here's how to use it.
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q152196&

Win

ALL 56K Modems are fax modems and 33.6 and 28.8

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You're welcome.
>
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:35:10 GMT, "Paul Hoberg" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Thanks, Unk. My laptop came with XP Home installed. I'll try what
> >you suggested, after confirming that it is indeed a FAX modem in the
> >computer. The suggestion to consider WinFax Pro is good, but free is
> >better, if it works.
> >Paul
> >
> >"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:29:55 GMT, "Paul Hoberg"
> ><(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a

> >FAX
> >>capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there

> >another
> >>way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
> >>dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
> >>advance for your help.
> >>Paul
> >>

> >You can't fax via Comcast cable modem unless you use a web-based
> >service.
> >http://www.efax.com/
> >
> >The modem in your laptop is probably a fax/modem. THAT you can use for
> >faxing. You just need the software, however you didn't state your OS.
> >

> >Windows XP - Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add or Remove
> >Programs,
> >Add Windows Component, and check the box, "Fax Services", click next,
> >and
> >follow the prompts.
> >

> >Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
> >to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.
> >
> >Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
> >and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
> >Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
> >to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in order to
> >function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows Messaging,
> >Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the full version, not
> >Express].")
> >
> >Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
> >installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to
> >Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us
> >folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read the wmw-fax.txt, in the same
> >folder,
> >for more detailed information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)
> >
> >After you install it, here's how to use it.
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q152196&

Bill Coleman

Are there any decent freeware or shareware fax programs for Windows 98/ME?
Can MS Fax be used on these systems?

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:29:55 GMT, "Paul Hoberg" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have 2 ISPs - Comcast and WorldNet. Does either of them offer a FAX
> >capability as part of their standard monthly fee? Or is there another
> >way that I can send and receive FAX pages using my cable modem? Or
> >dialing up with the built-in modem in my Sony Vaio laptop? Thanks in
> >advance for your help.
> >Paul
> >

> You can't fax via Comcast cable modem unless you use a web-based service.
> http://www.efax.com/
>
> The modem in your laptop is probably a fax/modem. THAT you can use for
> faxing. You just need the software, however you didn't state your OS.
>

> Windows XP - Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
> Add Windows Component, and check the box, "Fax Services", click next, and
> follow the prompts.
>

> Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
> to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.
>
> Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
> and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
> Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
> to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in order to
> function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows Messaging,
> Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the full version, not
> Express].")
>
> Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
> installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us
> folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read the wmw-fax.txt, in the same folder,
> for more detailed information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)
>
> After you install it, here's how to use it.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q152196&

Boomer

Bill Coleman, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are there any decent freeware or shareware fax programs for
> Windows 98/ME? Can MS Fax be used on these systems?
>
> "Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]

>> Windows 98 - If you want to use Microsoft Fax, you'll need
>> to install it from the Windows 98 installation CD.
>>
>> Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive, click "Browse This CD",
>> and navigate to the Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder.
>> Run "awfax.exe" to install Microsoft Fax. (Note: According
>> to Microsoft, this utility "requires a Full MAPI Client in
>> order to function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows
>> Messaging, Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook [the
>> full version, not Express].")
>>
>> Windows Messaging is also available on the Windows 98
>> installation CD, too. To install it, navigate to
>> Tools/OldWin95/Message/Us folder, and run wmw.exe. (Note: Read
>> the wmw-fax.txt, in the same folder, for more detailed
>> information on Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging.)
>>
>> After you install it, here's how to use it.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q152196&

Did you read the above message?