Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP/ programs

XP/ programs

stumpy

I have a hard drive with two partitions. I wish to install XP on one
partition
(C) and all the other programs on (D). Is this possible or feasible? If
possible
then is there any particular procedure I should accomplish?

I'm fed up with having problems with XP caused by conflicts or my misuse
of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been fighting DirectX
problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in many web pages, not
always but often).

Ron Martell

"stumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a hard drive with two partitions. I wish to install XP on one
>partition
>(C) and all the other programs on (D). Is this possible or feasible? If
>possible
>then is there any particular procedure I should accomplish?
>
>I'm fed up with having problems with XP caused by conflicts or my misuse
>of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been fighting DirectX
>problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in many web pages, not
>always but often).

Not a real problem at all.

When you install a new program just change the install path so it
reads D:\..... instead of C:\......

Sometimes you have to manually change the displayed install location,
others have a "browse" function to locate the directory/folder where
you want it to install.

If you download and install TweakUI for Windows XP from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp then
that will allow you to change the default location for standard
folders such as "Program Files" which may make the installs easier for
you.

I have the majority of my programs installed on a separate partition
and my multi-boot system is configured so that this partition is
always available, with the same drive letter, no matter which of my 3
versions of Windows that I choose to boot. It works very well and
reliably.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

°Mike°

You can't separate DirectX from the operating system partition;
it's an integral part of the OS.

HOW TO Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:30:59 -0700, in
<HwENb.5691$A74.3320@fed1read02>
stumpy scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

stumpy

Ron/Mike:
Thank you for your prompt and courteous responses. I very much appreciate
your service.

Also: I have noticed that if a poster requests help that a response is from
either one of you it can be clearly taken that what ever information and
guidance is provided it can be accepted as correct, germane and 'gospel for
PC's'.

"stumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have a hard drive with two partitions. I wish to install XP on one
> partition
> (C) and all the other programs on (D). Is this possible or feasible? If
> possible
> then is there any particular procedure I should accomplish?
>
> I'm fed up with having problems with XP caused by conflicts or my misuse
> of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been fighting DirectX
> problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in many web pages, not
> always but often).

Harrison

It will work to a degree.
The programs will still install some parts of themselves to the system
drive, in most cases. They will also make changes to the registry..
It is, however, a step in the right direction.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:30:59 -0700, "stumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a hard drive with two partitions. I wish to install XP on one
>partition
>(C) and all the other programs on (D). Is this possible or feasible? If
>possible
>then is there any particular procedure I should accomplish?
>
>I'm fed up with having problems with XP caused by conflicts or my misuse
>of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been fighting DirectX
>problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in many web pages, not
>always but often).

Senti

stumpy did mumble HwENb.5691$A74.3320@fed1read02...

> I have a hard drive with two partitions. I wish to install XP on one
> partition
> (C) and all the other programs on (D). Is this possible or feasible?
> If possible
> then is there any particular procedure I should accomplish?
>
> I'm fed up with having problems with XP caused by conflicts or my
> misuse of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been
> fighting DirectX problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in
> many web pages, not always but often).

You can use a registry tweak to change the default program folders path...

"Change Default Program Files Directory"

"This tweak is great if you keep all your programs on a separate partition
as Windows. For instance, I keep Windows on my C partition and all my
programs on my D partition. This way, if I should ever need to reinstall
Windows, my programs remain installed and, after importing a backup of my
old registry, fully functional. Anyway, getting back to the tweak... "

"Open the Registry Editor and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
Now modify the string ProgramFilesDir to the path that you want future
programs to suggest as the installation directory (i.e. D:\Program Files) "

Taken from http://www.puppypc.com/windows/tt/random_tt.htm
--
~SF~
Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:58:49 -0700, in
<OWENb.5695$A74.1363@fed1read02>
stumpy scrawled:

>Ron/Mike:
>Thank you for your prompt and courteous responses.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Dr. Hackenbush

Along these same lines, would it be ok to have 3 partitions , put WinXp on
C: partition, Prog Files on a D: partition and all my data files, music ,
graphics files etc on another partition.
What size partition would you suggest for Xp Home with full SP1 ? Will all
these partitions affect or help performance ?

Cheers

news:bu76se$ejfoi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

"

> Taken from http://www.puppypc.com/windows/tt/random_tt.htm
> --
> ~SF~
> Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not
> punished. -Jeremy Bentham

LO&MsLO

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:11:06 -0000, "Dr. Hackenbush"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Along these same lines, would it be ok to have 3 partitions , put WinXp on
>C: partition, Prog Files on a D: partition and all my data files, music ,
>graphics files etc on another partition.
>What size partition would you suggest for Xp Home with full SP1 ? Will all
>these partitions affect or help performance ?
>
>Cheers
>
>"Senti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bu76se$ejfoi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> stumpy did mumble HwENb.5691$A74.3320@fed1read02...
>>
>> > I have a hard drive with two partitions. I wish to install XP on one
>> > partition
>> > (C) and all the other programs on (D). Is this possible or feasible?
>> > If possible
>> > then is there any particular procedure I should accomplish?
>> >
>> > I'm fed up with having problems with XP caused by conflicts or my
>> > misuse of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been
>> > fighting DirectX problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in
>> > many web pages, not always but often).

>> You can use a registry tweak to change the default program folders path...
>>
>> "Change Default Program Files Directory"
>>
>> "This tweak is great if you keep all your programs on a separate partition
>> as Windows. For instance, I keep Windows on my C partition and all my
>> programs on my D partition. This way, if I should ever need to reinstall
>> Windows, my programs remain installed and, after importing a backup of my
>> old registry, fully functional. Anyway, getting back to the tweak... "
>>
>> "Open the Registry Editor and navigate to:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
>> Now modify the string ProgramFilesDir to the path that you want future
>> programs to suggest as the installation directory (i.e. D:\Program Files)

>"
>>
>> Taken from http://www.puppypc.com/windows/tt/random_tt.htm
>> --
>> ~SF~
>> Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not
>> punished. -Jeremy Bentham

I've been seperating the OS from my other programs for years. My wife
and daughter each have seperate drives that all their own programs and
personal stuff (documents, pictures, MP3s...etc) go on. Then I have
one for FTP/Fserve files and several personal partitions. Right now I
have 3 physical HDs and 7 partitions.

Joe Schmo

Thanks for confirming that, at least every time XP goes pear shaped I can
reinstall without too much work

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

,