Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > graphics card problem

graphics card problem

Nathan

hey,

I have an AMD 1.3 ghz processor, an abit mobo, 300w power supply,
80gb hd, and 512mb of ram. Also i'm running windows xp. Well i had a
g-force 2 64mb, graphics card, and wanted to upgrade. So i got a
g-force fx 5200. I installed it and i can see a big performance, and
graphic upgrade. But when i start playing a game, it runs fine for a
few minutes but then my machine goes to sleep. my computer, and
monitor are both still on, but there's no signal going to the monitor.
My speakers are even still on, with the games audio comeing out. I
eventually have to reboot my system. i've tried EVERYTHING, from
drivers, to bigger a bigger power supply. NOTHING works. PLEASE
HELP!!!

Nathan

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

Nathan wrote:

> I have an AMD 1.3 ghz processor, an abit mobo, 300w power supply,
> 80gb hd, and 512mb of ram. Also i'm running windows xp. Well i had a
> g-force 2 64mb, graphics card, and wanted to upgrade. So i got a
> g-force fx 5200. I installed it and i can see a big performance, and
> graphic upgrade. But when i start playing a game, it runs fine for a
> few minutes but then my machine goes to sleep. my computer, and
> monitor are both still on, but there's no signal going to the monitor.
> My speakers are even still on, with the games audio comeing out. I
> eventually have to reboot my system. i've tried EVERYTHING, from
> drivers, to bigger a bigger power supply. NOTHING works. PLEASE
> HELP!!!

Is this only when playing games?

I'd look at heat buildup... or bad RAM on the card.

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)