Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dir listing to html?

Dir listing to html?

JesterDev

Would anyone happen to know of a program that will
take a directory listing on my hard drive, and convert
it to html?

I could do this by hand, but I thought maybe there was
some software that might be able to do this.

What I'm after is something that will just add links to
the various files not the directories themselves.. Like

file1.bas - Links to file1.bas
file2.bas - links to file2.bas

not g:\gwbasic\pub\utilities\file1.bas

°Mike°

HDLG*html*directory list generator
http://www.hdlg.info/

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:17:18 GMT, in
<izCNb.75147$I06.329674@attbi_s01>
JesterDev scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

why?

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:17:18 GMT, JesterDev wrote:

>Would anyone happen to know of a program that will
>take a directory listing on my hard drive, and convert
>it to html?

Dir2HTML
http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/freeware/dir2html/

<snip>

Me

wisefool

JesterDev provided these words:
> Would anyone happen to know of a program that will
> take a directory listing on my hard drive, and convert
> it to html?
>
> I could do this by hand, but I thought maybe there was
> some software that might be able to do this.
>
> What I'm after is something that will just add links to
> the various files not the directories themselves.. Like
>
> file1.bas - Links to file1.bas
> file2.bas - links to file2.bas

For vaguely interested propellor heads only:

Should work on WinNT/2K/XP. (Tested on XP.)

Save *between* hyphen lines as htmldir.bat and stick in Windows\system32
directory:
------------------------------
@echo off
setlocal
pushd
if not "%1"=="" CD %1
echo ^<HTML^>^<BODY^>
echo ^<H1^>Directory listing of
cd
echo ^</H1^>
for /D %%d in (*) do echo ^<A href='%%d'^>%%d ^</A^> ^&lt;DIR^&gt;^<BR^>
for %%f in (*) do echo ^<A href='%%f'^>%%f^</A^>^<BR^>
echo ^</BODY^>^</HTML^>
popd
------------------------------

To use at command line:

htmldir [<dir-name>] [> <destination-file.html>]

In the above:
^ escapes any of <>&|
%%d is replaced with directory names
and %%f is replaced with file names.

wisefool

wisefool

JesterDev provided these words:
> Would anyone happen to know of a program that will
> take a directory listing on my hard drive, and convert
> it to html?
>
> I could do this by hand, but I thought maybe there was
> some software that might be able to do this.
>
> What I'm after is something that will just add links to
> the various files not the directories themselves.. Like
>
> file1.bas - Links to file1.bas
> file2.bas - links to file2.bas

For die hard batch-script / console users only:

Can generate HTML (including <> characters) from Windows
NT/2K/XP command line something like this (shift lines after
for statements onto end of previous lines,
and save as <Windows>\htmldir.bat):
------------------------------
@echo off
setlocal
pushd
if not "%1"=="" CD %1
echo ^<HTML^>^<BODY^>
echo ^<H1^>Directory listing of
cd
echo ^</H1^>
for /D %%d in (*) do
echo ^<A href='%2%%d'^>%%d ^</A^> (dir)^<BR^>
for %%f in (*) do
echo ^<A href='%2%%f'^>%%f^</A^>^<BR^>
echo ^</BODY^>^</HTML^>
popd
------------------------------

To use at command line:
htmldir [<dir-list-name>] [link-prefix] [> <destination-file.html>]

e.g. To list current directory in HTML format:
C:\MYDIR> htmldir

e.g. To create a listing of C:\ with links forced to start with "C:\" :
C:\MYDIR> htmldir c:\ c:\ > index.html

wisefool

wisefool

wisefool provided these words:
> JesterDev provided these words:
>> Would anyone happen to know of a program that will
>> take a directory listing on my hard drive, and convert
>> it to html?
>>
>> I could do this by hand, but I thought maybe there was
>> some software that might be able to do this.
>>
>> What I'm after is something that will just add links to
>> the various files not the directories themselves.. Like
>>
>> file1.bas - Links to file1.bas
>> file2.bas - links to file2.bas

Last post slightly wrong in places. Use this post instead:

For die hard batch-script / console users only:

Can generate HTML (including <> characters) from Windows
NT/2K/XP command line something like this (shift lines after
for statements onto end of previous lines,
and save as <Windows>\htmldir.bat [NOT in system32]):
------------------------------

wisefool wrote:

> JesterDev provided these words:
>
>>Would anyone happen to know of a program that will
>>take a directory listing on my hard drive, and convert
>>it to html?
>>
>>I could do this by hand, but I thought maybe there was
>>some software that might be able to do this.
>>
>>What I'm after is something that will just add links to
>>the various files not the directories themselves.. Like
>>
>>file1.bas - Links to file1.bas
>>file2.bas - links to file2.bas

> For vaguely interested propellor heads only:
>
> Should work on WinNT/2K/XP. (Tested on XP.)
>
> Save *between* hyphen lines as htmldir.bat and stick in Windows\system32
> directory:
> ------------------------------
> @echo off
> setlocal
> pushd
> if not "%1"=="" CD %1
> echo ^<HTML^>^<BODY^>
> echo ^<H1^>Directory listing of
> cd
> echo ^</H1^>
> for /D %%d in (*) do echo ^<A href='%%d'^>%%d ^</A^> ^&lt;DIR^&gt;^<BR^>
> for %%f in (*) do echo ^<A href='%%f'^>%%f^</A^>^<BR^>
> echo ^</BODY^>^</HTML^>
> popd
> ------------------------------
>
> To use at command line:
>
> htmldir [<dir-name>] [> <destination-file.html>]
>
> In the above:
> ^ escapes any of <>&|
> %%d is replaced with directory names
> and %%f is replaced with file names.
>
> wisefool

Thanks a ton!

wisefool

JesterDev provided these words:

Really? It was that good, splendid I am pleased.

Bebop & Rocksteady

> Would anyone happen to know of a program that will
> take a directory listing on my hard drive, and convert
> it to html?

Here is a small app that can do that...
http://quantum.fateback.com/freeware/dir2html.htm

FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

John H. Guillory

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:56:09 -0000, "wisefool" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>JesterDev provided these words:
>>

>Really? It was that good, splendid I am pleased.

Well... The links didn't come out the way he wanted.... He wanted them
to say <a href="file1.htm"> and you have <a
href="file://c:\util\file1.htm"> ....